Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Nissan Juke (SV, FWD, CVT)
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, chino here.

over the weekend i finally was able to get my car to Fever Racing in Tampa and on a dyno and get it tuned.. somewhat

i have a 2013 Juke CVT FWD, we strapped my car onto the dyno and it made the first two pulls fine but after that the tuner said it wouldnt shift past like third gear. we turned traction control off, wouldn't change a thing. eventually we ended up taking it off the dyno and just doing a street tune.

so what we figured was wrong with it was the rear wheel speed sensors may have been limiting the car. does anyone have any idea on what else it might be?

im going back to get the tune finalized once my o2 sensors (upstream and downstream) come in and my charge pipe stops blowing off the throttle.

anyone can help please let me know! also heres a picture of my car on the dyno

·
Registered
587 Posts
if the car is a CVT it MUST be tuned on an awd linked dyno in order to get accurate tuning. The CVT demands all four wheels be turning to get proper wheel speed data. Anyone who tunes on a 2wd dyno with a CVT will have insane drivability issues afterwards than need to be sorted out by the tuner on the road. You can unplug the rear sensors and tune the car, but the loading on the cvt will be slightly off which can result in issues, especially related to boost control. But what do i know, I have only worked on hundreds of these, put them on a dozen different dynos, and physically prove my work.
"But i got my car tuned on a 2wd dyno"
-you either have a six speed, and again this is ONLY for the CVT's, or your tuner was a con artist that did some **** on the dyno, took a picture of a number with a **** graph, took it on the road and fixed it on the go. A quality tune wont need any actual changes to be made to the car when driving on the street after a dyno session.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
With a 2wd/FWD CVT, I would question the need for the rear to be part of the equation as well.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am not going to sit here and argue the facts of what I have experienced in the real world. But this guy is literally experiencing the issues you run into when you dyno a 2wd CVT Juke. I get emails from people 1-2 a month saying "my car is on the dyno and its doing this". And every time I tell them the same thing. And the second they get it on the rollers in an linked awd dyno the issue goes away. Hell, look on this forum there's dozens of posts of people having this exact issue.

The way the CVT does its calculations it NEEDS to see all four wheels spinning, otherwise it does not load up right. There's a reason you cannot get a 2wd CVT Juke or a all wheel drive juke in fwd mode to do a burnout. The CVT does not load up. The traction control off switch does not fully disable the full traction system. It disables the ABS controlled traction system and the throttle controlled system, NOT the CVT controlled system.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
"yes, even a 2wd/fwd only cvt still needs an awd dyno."
Your initial response did not specify that. That's all you had to say.
Empathize with the audience reading your post and the tone used, it looks like you you were ranting about trying to dyno an awd in fwd mode. Just wanted clarification. Wow.

Also, you can probably count the number of modded/dynoing 2wd cvt forum members on one hand. Saying there are dozens of posts on this same situation is a bit of an exaggeration.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Considering the "tone" of your initial un-edited response, which makes it sound like i don't know what I am talking about, my hostility is perfectly acceptable:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
And that's why I edit. Because if I re-read my post and it isn't the tone I want to use. I edit it. Like I said, it looked like you weren't aware he had a 2wd and was ranting about awd in 2wd mode. Then i reread everyone's everything and adjusted my response.
I'll own up to it, no problem. It's not like I'm Kayne or some politician making headlines with my edits.

·
Registered
2013 Nissan Juke (SV, FWD, CVT)
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if the car is a CVT it MUST be tuned on an awd linked dyno in order to get accurate tuning. The CVT demands all four wheels be turning to get proper wheel speed data. Anyone who tunes on a 2wd dyno with a CVT will have insane drivability issues afterwards than need to be sorted out by the tuner on the road. You can unplug the rear sensors and tune the car, but the loading on the cvt will be slightly off which can result in issues, especially related to boost control. But what do i know, I have only worked on hundreds of these, put them on a dozen different dynos, and physically prove my work.
"But i got my car tuned on a 2wd dyno"
-you either have a six speed, and again this is ONLY for the CVT's, or your tuner was a con artist that did some ** on the dyno, took a picture of a number with a ** graph, took it on the road and fixed it on the go. A quality tune wont need any actual changes to be made to the car when driving on the street after a dyno session.
hey matt thanks for the response! that makes sense, once we got rolling on the street the tune ended up going smoothly from there.

also do you have any recommendations for the charge pipe blowing off the throttle?

·
Registered
587 Posts
hey matt thanks for the response! that makes sense, once we got rolling on the street the tune ended up going smoothly from there.

also do you have any recommendations for the charge pipe blowing off the throttle?
tighten the clamp. You can run 25+ psi through that pipe with no issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting. After adding a turbo to my '04 VW R32, I had HPA put it on their AWD superflow dyno. It made 454 hp and 420 TQ @15 psi. I was under the impression that the car was driving both the front and rear rollers on the dyno, i.e. that if we had disconnected the AWD controller and run the car on the Superflow, that the rear wheel rollers at the rear would have not rotated at all and the rear wheels on the car would remain motionless.

So, on the FWD Juke, getting a tune on a AWD dyno, would the rear rollers spin in unison with the front rollers that are being driven by the Jukes front wheels? How does this work because I am confused over the idea that tuning a FWD Juke requires all four wheels to spin (does a awd dyno have a facility for driving the rear wheels by using an electric motor that synchronizes with the front wheel rotation? ).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just found an answer to my question. Some dyno's can do this, others cannot. for example,
Mustang’s AWD-500 Series incorporates an internal drive system that synchronizes the front and back rollers to simulate a flat, dry road condition. Synchronization, or linkage, insures that the front and rear rollers are always spinning at precisely the same road speed. This process eliminates the possibility of activating a vehicle’s traction control system and also insures that a vehicle’s torque management system is operating under the assumption that the vehicle is not skidding, turning or slipping.

Mustang’s AWD-500 can be operated in AWD Mode while testing two-wheel drive vehicles. This process allows the non-driven axle to be spun by the dynamometer rollers at the same speed as the driven axle, eliminating the speed differential that occurs on two-wheel drive dynamometers – problem solved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts