Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace a Celica, so I'm more drawn to the sporty side than the crossover side. Not really looking for what the marketers call its competition so much as what you personally are considering.

My requirements:
Sporty, yet fuel efficient cars with manual transmissions <$25k.
Fits my 6'7 self - don't care about rear seats, but am used to a hatch's cargo space.
Emphasis on handling, light and tossable. Fun to drive.
Quiet at highway cruising speeds, but plenty of feedback otherwise.

Here's what I'm considering:
Juke(FWD, SL, 6 speed)
Altima Coupe(2.5, base as base can be)
Hyundai Genesis 1.8T
Mini Cooper S
Kia Forte Koup SX
Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
Mazda 3
Honda Civic SI Coupe
Honda CR-Z(worth looking at but highly skeptical of it)
And maybe hold out for the Toyota FT-86 to be released sometime in 2011/2012/who knows when

The Kia and Mitsu get bonus points due to their excellent warranty. Drive 110 miles/day for work, all highway, so I'd chew through a standard warranty rather quickly. Of course better off just not needing to use one at all.

Also interested in the sort of ranges people get as far as fuel consumption. My Celica is only rated 31mpg highway, but on my all highway commute I'm consistently in the 38-40 range. Hoping that's a driving style/environment quirk that carries over to another car rather than my particular celica being extra thrifty)

·
Registered
123 Posts
where abouts are you located, 'cos a mini cooper s is over 30K if you order a base one yourself, the ones in the dealers are almost all much closer to 40K (at least in Canada)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ohio, so it'd be a bare bones base S, or a loaded regular Cooper. Would also consider used, but the market for used got really screwed up with 'cash for clunkers'.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
why a base Juke v. a loaded Cooper? isn't there too much of a disparity there? Go for the SL Juke!

·
Registered
123 Posts
have you looked at the rabbit/golf and the hyundai genesis coupe?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well by Genesis 1.8T I meant the coupe :) If there's a coupe offering, the sedan doesn't register for me.

I do like the Golf, VW's electrical gremlins put me off a bit though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've looked at a few cars, but none fit my needs well right now. In a perfect world, I want a 30 mpg vehicle that can tow my 1600 pound boat when needed.
Subaru Outback (can tow, and mileage fits the bill, but won't buy because of shaking front end problem).
VW Golf 2-door Diesel (prefer because of mileage, but no tow)
Honda CRZ (no-tow, but good mileage)
Juke (sort of not in the running because of no-tow statement in manual)
VW Tiguan (fits well and could tow, but out of running due to mileage).

If these bastards would just start giving us the diesel engines, my choices would be much easier. I was going to buy some thing to replace Bug and truck this year...but may stick it out for another year just to see if options get any better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was looking into a VW CC until they bumped up the price across all lines in 2011. Wierdly enough the new Buick Regal is in the running. I'm not a fan of GM but it was designed and built in Germany by Opel and I like the look.

I already have an Armada so I initially didn't want another SUV but after driving the Juke I realized the crossover market was nice and not really an SUV and thankfully not a station wagon. I really liked the Juke and it's still at the top.

I recently started researching the Kia Sportage. It looks great and has some awesome features (including an armrest and power seats). Not as sporty as the Juke though - 4 cylinder with no turbo. But they are about to introduce a Turbo 6 with 274hp. I'm looking into the sub-$30k range and I'm betting that will surpass my limit.

I would only be driving this vehicle to/from work and occasionally weekends. Also been researching the Mazda6 but who knows when the 2011 will be released (and I have no experience of Mazda quality.. or Kia for that matter).

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I've read things about the Sportage that say it rides ridiculously firm.

And the FJ Cruiser? Seriously? that gets among the worst ratings I've seen--comparable to some jeeps. Unless you really need off road stuff, not one I'd consider

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've read things about the Sportage that say it rides ridiculously firm.

And the FJ Cruiser? Seriously? that gets among the worst ratings I've seen--comparable to some jeeps. Unless you really need off road stuff, not one I'd consider
When we drove the sportage i thought it felt really solid, but i can see where the overly firm ride comments come from.

As far as the FJ is concerned, i agree with Violet too, plus don't forget it has a large engine that needs premium gas ($$$)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Actually, you can run 87 octane in the Juke. The car will retard the ignition, so you'll lose some HP, but you won't hurt the car.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I am debating still between the Genesis Coupe 2.0T and the Juke SV. If driving the Genesis in the snow is going to be any worse than my Charger, then it would be a no brainer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
As an only car, I think the juke is superior. Fun to drive, practical, etc. But for a pure sports car, the genesis is a great deal, but I'd look seriously at the Miata, Mustang and Camaro. Just depends on what itch you're trying to scratch

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.