Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

which oil do you prefer or currently use?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've taken my cars to the track on a few occasions and i drive it hard regularly also. from my experience my engine also performed at its best when i had either castrol syntec(the german version) or motul 300v. other brands i've used also are mobil 1, amsoil, and royal purple. while all of them are pretty good one of my previous engines had a bad case of lifter tick and also had a slight knock to it. out of all the oils castrol and motul relieved the problems completely.

·
Registered
92 Posts
im a hardcore motul guy. i know its expensive but my car runs so much smoother on motul 300v. plus the occasional lapping day and drag race justifies me paying that little bit of extra. hahaha.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Royal Purple has never steered me wrong. Though most synthetic motor oils do a great job of keeping the engine cool and slick I stick to what has worked for me in the past.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Royal Purple has never steered me wrong. Though most synthetic motor oils do a great job of keeping the engine cool and slick I stick to what has worked for me in the past.

I used to only use Royal Purple before. That's until I saw the UOA for it. When you put it in your car feels like it runs smoother, more powerful, and accelerates quicker. But the real reason behind that is its A LOT thinner than what it actually says in the label. What you gain in performance is what you lose in protection. The institute that did the UOA posted the results from several top brand oils. The piston that came out from the engine using royal purple had only slightly less wear than some of the lower end oils they tested.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
What kind of testing did your dad do? Did he test the german made castrol or the north american made castrol?

german one I think, not sure.

He did a test as part of his mechanic study.
There they test oil under pressure
I found a video
YouTube - A1 Test Result For Roil Gold Metal Conditioner Oil Car Safe

don't pay attention to what they put in the oil.
but testing it like this, you can see the diffrence in pressure with diffrent oil.
It is just a simple test

·
Registered
296 Posts
These posts remind me of a job I had many, many moons ago, in London.

My work comprised stripping down BMW motorcycle engines, that had done an excessive mileage, checking for wear and replacing parts and rebuilding as necessary.

I would make it a point to ask the customer which brand of oil he would like me to use after the rebuild. Nearly always, bearing in mind, this was in the 50´s, when Castrol and Mobil were very popular, I could tell which oil they preferred.

Those engines run on Castrol would have sludge which had adhered to parts like con-rods, main bearing contra balancing weights etc., whereas those engines run on Mobil had totally clean parts and all the sludge was in the oil pan.

Now, I suppose that the sludge from Castrol probably had no detrimental effect, apart from the fact that oil was continuously coming into contact with sludge coated parts and the mobil run engine had cleaner oil available all the time!

However, that was then, this is now. Oil has improved in leaps and bounds but I thought it was maybe an interesting point to raise?

·
Super Moderator
6,376 Posts
After full break-in and following recommended oil viscosity:
  • Mobil 1 Extended Performance is my first choice.
  • Castrol Edge is my second choice.

I go the full Synthetic route and sometimes I go a little past the 3 month/3000 mile interval because of procrastination.
IMO, as long as you follow the recommended viscosity, it boils down to personal preference and what one believes is more superior to the other. (lol I think I just stated the obvious)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use Penzoil Platinum full synthetic on my MS3 and will probably continue to do so on the Juke.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Back when I used to change my own oil it was Castrol and not synthetic.

For my last 2 vehicles it was whatever the dealership put in while still under warranty and whatever my mechanic put in once the warranty was up.

So for the Juke it will be whatever the Nissan service puts in the car until the warranty is up. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the MOBIL 1 0W40 is the best oil, I am using in all cars, I have a mazda 3 mps (in spain)= mazdaspeed 3 (USA) and juke dig-t in the next oil change.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts