Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

Hi all, 1st posting on forums.
Recently bought my Nismo RS 4 months ago, 1st thing 1st the suede seats are sooo comfy, especially their heated 馃憣馃従. Full 360 camera is sick, and very helpful. Pulls so hard in every gear, but not as fast as my mates mini Cooper S 2015 2.0 190bhp pisses all over my Juke, completely standard. When RS has 215bhp? I blame sports mode as I receive boost spiking. But in normal mode its smooth but slower pull than sports obviously.
Built in sat nav but very temperamental with new roads. JUICY...

What to upgrade 1st what's not too obvious. I don't want an induction kit, may consider K&N panel filter. I've had look into either turbo smart recirculating valve/blow off or forge recirculating valve. Airtec intercooler. And remap. What gains will get from these suttle modifications?

Registered
Welcome to the forum! So you have an RS CVT, there are some very good things and some very, uhhh, polarizing things about it.

To answer your main question, 0. You will see 0 gains by adding on air filters, exhausts, charge pipes, and most breathing mods. The ECU aims for specific values and by changing the equipment, the ECU will compensate to bring those values back to normal. The only way to take advantage of the majority of those mods is with a tune. Most people will recommend the tune as the first mod, probably Uprev brand. It depends on how deep you plan on going, but with an RS bone stock, the tune WILL get you alot. When to tune vs what mods to get first or what order, etc. are all based on more info needed. Will you be doing dyno tunes with a local tuner, or an off the shelf, stock program. That's a deeper conversation which has been thoroughly covered many, many times previously. I'd say search and browse around the forums and get to know about the vehicle as though these forums were an extended owner's manual.

The bad news is the CVT will always limit your launch. It will always protect itself and there is no programming available for it to change that behavior. You can get it to 450hp and it will still prevent slippage at the 200 hp mark, keeping it the poor dog it was destined to be forever. BUT once you are rolling... the 20-80 pulls are great fun! Just don't race anyone from a dead stop!

Edit: Do not, repeat: Do not try to do neutral drops to force the CVT off the line. Revving to 4k in neutral then dropping to drive in the CVT will roast your cvt completely in probably 5 good pulls or less. (I might be exaggerating a little, but maybe not) there are only a few actual stories over the many years of this forum of people doing it, and I'm pretty sure every one of them is the owner coming to the forum with the story of doing drops and now their CVT is roasted. It may seem tempting, but don't do it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum! So you have an RS CVT, there are some very good things and some very, uhhh, polarizing things about it.

To answer your main question, 0. You will see 0 gains by adding on air filters, exhausts, charge pipes, and most breathing mods. The ECU aims for specific values and by changing the equipment, the ECU will compensate to bring those values back to normal. The only way to take advantage of the majority of those mods is with a tune. Most people will recommend the tune as the first mod, probably Uprev brand. It depends on how deep you plan on going, but with an RS bone stock, the tune WILL get you alot. When to tune vs what mods to get first or what order, etc. are all based on more info needed. Will you be doing dyno tunes with a local tuner, or an off the shelf, stock program. That's a deeper conversation which has been thoroughly covered many, many times previously. I'd say search and browse around the forums and get to know about the vehicle as though these forums were an extended owner's manual.

The bad news is the CVT will always limit your launch. It will always protect itself and there is no programming available for it to change that behavior. You can get it to 450hp and it will still prevent slippage at the 200 hp mark, keeping it the poor dog it was destined to be forever. BUT once you are rolling... the 20-80 pulls are great fun! Just don't race anyone from a dead stop!

Edit: Do not, repeat: Do not try to do neutral drops to force the CVT off the line. Revving to 4k in neutral then dropping to drive in the CVT will roast your cvt completely in probably 5 good pulls or less. (I might be exaggerating a little, but maybe not) there are only a few actual stories over the many years of this forum of people doing it, and I'm pretty sure every one of them is the owner coming to the forum with the story of doing drops and now their CVT is roasted. It may seem tempting, but don't do it.

Funny enough I don't have a CVT that's only in AWD and I don't have that. I have FWD, I have done research this morning and couldn't find anything on RS Fwd with CVT. In a way I can ignore everything you said about CVT yeah馃ぃ?

Administrator
There we not any RS made that were FWD and CVT unless someone swapped out the CVT for a 6 speed.

Registered
Funny enough I don't have a CVT that's only in AWD and I don't have that. I have FWD, I have done research this morning and couldn't find anything on RS Fwd with CVT. In a way I can ignore everything you said about CVT yeah馃ぃ?
Yeah if you don't have a CVT, you can ignore those bits. The way you were describing normal vs sport mode sounded very CVT. FWD manual RS is the way to go!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah if you don't have a CVT, you can ignore those bits. The way you were describing normal vs sport mode sounded very CVT. FWD manual RS is the way to go!
Awesome good to hear that! Thank you. Got me worries their. Thought I'd bought problematic car 馃槖. So what's best to do with RS first?

Registered
The stuff about the ECU correcting any bolt-on mods, like intake, exhaust, etc. all still applies to the 6 speed manual as well. So if you want just a quick easy improvement, just get it tuned with a "stage 1" Uprev tune. If you have the time and money to dump into it, as well as access to a tuner with a dyno, then that becomes a deeper discussion of budget and who is going to do the work and what legal/inspection requirements you have to meet, etc. Alternately, you can try to get someone to do a remote tune if you want to pay a bit more for the tune and only plan on getting an SRI or CAI intake.

Like I said, deeper discussion :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what's all this Injen induction kits and exhaust kits that majority of nismo RS's I've seen on Instagram. Theirs alot of opinions on short and long induction kits? Short would suck hot air in and long could be in danger of sucking up water..

Don't get me wrong that Injen parts are expensive!
I'm not fan of 4" tip on 2" exhaust pipe. Whats the original setup. Why didn't they do 3" or 3.5" tip.

Is it worth having a deleted backbox, I've seen on ebay for 拢119.

I've seen a video on YouTube of guy explaining how to get 450bhp on RS. Bigger turbo, downpipe from turbo, catback exhaust 2.5", intercooler, induction kit and remap.
Why do people put twin exhaust on these? Just looses out on power and more unnecessary weight the car.

Registered
So what's all this Injen induction kits and exhaust kits that majority of nismo RS's I've seen on Instagram. Theirs alot of opinions on short and long induction kits? Short would suck hot air in and long could be in danger of sucking up water..

I'm not fan of 4" tip on 2" exhaust pipe. Whats the original setup. Why didn't they do 3" or 3.5" tip.

I've seen a video on YouTube of guy explaining how to get 450bhp on RS. Bigger turbo, downpipe from turbo, catback exhaust 2.5", intercooler, induction kit and remap.
Why do people put twin exhaust on these? Just looses out on power and more unnecessary weight the car.
Cold air intakes don't make more power than short ram intakes on these cars. Below is a video of FastReligion doing dyno testing on stock vs short vs cai

Administrator

The only simple Bolt on that makes more power is a Down Pipe. Everything else besides a new Turbo will not make more power. Maybe change the Dyno curve but thats it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts