Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all!

I have a 2012 Nissan Juke. I have water that has pooled in the left side of my car, causing the floorboards to be wet on the drivers side. I can hear water swishing back and forth when I brake. From what I've read, this is a common issue with Nissans, but they just haven't announced a recall for this yet (another complaint for another time). I'm taking my car in soon because I believe the water is leaking in through my windshield, but for now I would like to get the water out of floor boards so my car stops smelling. Is there a plug, or somewhere under the car that I can drain the water from?

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you have a steam cleaner or a shop vac that can vacuum water use that. Or a bunch of towels and a heat lamp or hours with a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,514 Posts
This is my best story...

my my son had an older truck that leaked water but we could never find it. He complained the the floor was wet and that the carpet smelled. After searching long and hard for the cause, I drilled 1/4” holes in both floor wells.

he still believes the leaks somehow fixed themselves

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
My first thought when I hear someone say water on the floorboards... your heater core is leaking. This is NOT a specific issue to Nissan as it is common to all cars. My Tiburon had this issue. My wife's Mini has this issue. My Altima had this issue. I can name a few other people I know that had water on the floorboards due to a heater core leak.

A good carpet cleaner or wet vac will suck up the water. Follow up with a fan and portable dehumidifier to dry out the car. Then get the heater core checked for leaks and have the cooling system flushed.

·
Administrator
12,520 Posts
You have a leak at your cowl. Under your windshield wiper area. You will have to take it apart. Remove the plastic panel. Its not too hard. Find the leak that is letting water down into the floor board. Should be an obvious joint that is "siliconed" in front of the driver area.

It might be like these pics and it might not.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
My first thought when I hear someone say water on the floorboards... your heater core is leaking. This is NOT a specific issue to Nissan as it is common to all cars. My Tiburon had this issue. My wife's Mini has this issue. My Altima had this issue. I can name a few other people I know that had water on the floorboards due to a heater core leak.

A good carpet cleaner or wet vac will suck up the water. Follow up with a fan and portable dehumidifier to dry out the car. Then get the heater core checked for leaks and have the cooling system flushed.
If it was the heater core leaking, though, wouldn't it smell of antifreeze? Or do modern cars have a "coolant water and jacket water" setup?

And that same issue is why I stripped the carpet out of my truck. It's not a luxury package anyway, and this way if someone steps in cat poop, I can just pull out the floor mat and clean it with a hose. I think mine might have some form of the "silicone joint" issue, because it only happens when it rains and only when the truck's parked at a fairly specific angle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, all!

I have a 2012 Nissan Juke. I have water that has pooled in the left side of my car, causing the floorboards to be wet on the drivers side. I can hear water swishing back and forth when I brake. From what I've read, this is a common issue with Nissans, but they just haven't announced a recall for this yet (another complaint for another time). I'm taking my car in soon because I believe the water is leaking in through my windshield, but for now I would like to get the water out of floor boards so my car stops smelling. Is there a plug, or somewhere under the car that I can drain the water from?
As I was inspecting where the water is coming in, I noticed at the top of the windshield, where the two plastic trim strips meet the windshield, the is a void area under the windshield. I wondered about that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have a leak at your cowl. Under your windshield wiper area. You will have to take it apart. Remove the plastic panel. Its not too hard. Find the leak that is letting water down into the floor board. Should be an obvious joint that is "siliconed" in front of the driver area.

It might be like these pics and it might not.

Macgyver,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Macgyver,
Thank you. I had wondered about that as a possibility too. But if that's the case, I would think the padding on the firewall would be completely wet. But it's only wet from where it was absorbing water from the floor. In other word, from the bottom up.

That being said, I will still take the panel off the cowl and take a look.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it was the heater core leaking, though, wouldn't it smell of antifreeze? Or do modern cars have a "coolant water and jacket water" setup?

And that same issue is why I stripped the carpet out of my truck. It's not a luxury package anyway, and this way if someone steps in cat poop, I can just pull out the floor mat and clean it with a hose. I think mine might have some form of the "silicone joint" issue, because it only happens when it rains and only when the truck's parked at a fairly specific angle.

Thank you for your input. I'm quite certain it isn't the heater core. The coolant level is fine, and the cooling system doesn't hold 10 gallons of water. LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have a steam cleaner or a shop vac that can vacuum water use that. Or a bunch of towels and a heat lamp or hours with a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I removed all the interior and took the carpet and floor mats to the car wash to power-wash them. They're hanging up in the garage now. I'm just trying to figure out how the water got in now so I can fix it. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my best story...

my my son had an older truck that leaked water but we could never find it. He complained the the floor was wet and that the carpet smelled. After searching long and hard for the cause, I drilled 1/4” holes in both floor wells.

he still believes the leaks somehow fixed themselves
HAhaahahahahahaahah. Still young, is he?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, all!

I have this exact same thing going on with my 2014 Juke. I took it into the dealer and they said my sunroof drain tube had disconnected so it was going down the interior pillar draining underneath the carpet on the floorboard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts