Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Juke 2012 Diesel Acenta
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(first time to post)
I have a 2012 1.5 Manual Diesel Acenta. Been a great car, had it from 6,000 miles, now at 97,000 no real issues.
Had cambelt changed in Sept due mileage and immediately noticed a vibrating/creaking noise coming from car after the change. A friend says it's like metal on metal and sounds like exhaust (which I agree with) albeit this has been checked by a mechanic
The noise happens at low revs only when pulling off or very low speed. Doesn’t last long. No noise in reverse or downhill.
There is slight vibration on the accelerator pedal too when it happens.

Another issue now is I also notice that when I start the car up (turn key to engage) there is a rumbling/vibration noise for a second just before it fires. See video. The mechanic thinks the noises are connected but can't work out where it comes from.
New transmission mount fitted, no change.
Things checked by garage who fitted cambelt and my own mechanic:-
Floor completely checked in case jacked up and damaged something
Exhaust checked.
Suspension checked.
Mounts checked.
Hoses etc in engine all tightened up including a few cable ties.
Engine looked at.
Garage who fitted cambelt and my own mechanic both looked at car without success.
Any help very welcome !

Update: There was also a knocking noise when going over bumpy roads and turning steering wheel. This was the sway bar/anti roll bar links and both have now been replaced which has solved this issue at least!

·
Super Moderator
11,318 Posts
Engine mounts. Check them all. They are 9 years old and the rubber gets hard and cracks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Macgyver,
Thanks for replying. I’m pretty sure my mechanic checked all of them, it does sound like that sort of vibration/creaking noise when I move off but think that’s the first thing they both did (one has been replaced but no luck).

·
Super Moderator
11,318 Posts
CAT Heat shield.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
CAT Heat shield.......
Thank you again Macgyver, no luck with this unfortunately, it’s fine and both mechanics checked exhaust🙈.
what I am noticing however is the groaning/creaking noise happens either at very low revs only when driving straight or especially when turning to the right driver’s side. It doesn’t do it when turning to left. Might be my imagination but it just feels a bit rough under that side of the car ie floor when there is groaning noise. The car is smooth once I go past 1000 revs. Also there is noise when I go over bumps on drivers side like the wheel is loose, feeling ie hollow, clunk sort of noise. This I feel is definitely getting more pronounced. I’ve watched loads of videos now and am wondering if it’s the ball joint/ bushings after reading a similar diagnosis from somebody else? Mechanic did check suspension but wondering if something just isn’t tightened up enough after cam belt change? It feels like something is loose. No noise in reverse. It’s difficult as I’m not a mechanic or anywhere near one but am quickly becoming one 😉!

·
Super Moderator
2,051 Posts
Definitely sounds suspension related. If the Acenta is similar the the North America Juke, there is a strut tower bearing that can go bad. It’s at the very top of the strut underneath the frame where the strut connects to it. I can’t remember exactly but the way to tell this bearing has gone bad is from a stop, turn the steering wheel full lock one direction then slowly start to drive forward, the vehicle will make a “clunk” sound once and feel like a wheel shifted. Do it left and right and it should tell you which one is bad. Probably best to do this test in an empty car park or open area. I do not believe the bearing will clunk when going in reverse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely sounds suspension related. If the Acenta is similar the the North America Juke, there is a strut tower bearing that can go bad. It’s at the very top of the strut underneath the frame where the strut connects to it. I can’t remember exactly but the way to tell this bearing has gone bad is from a stop, turn the steering wheel full lock one direction then slowly start to drive forward, the vehicle will make a “clunk” sound once and feel like a wheel shifted. Do it left and right and it should tell you which one is bad. Probably best to do this test in an empty car park or open area. I do not believe the bearing will clunk when going in reverse.
Thanks squirtbrnr for all that. I’m going to give this a go today and I’ll let you know how I get on! 🤞

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi again,
Ok I did test today but there wasn't any clunk happening albeit the vibration/creaking noise is definitely more apparent when I had the steering wheel locked turning to the driver's side, it's not really a clunk noise, it's more like a vibration/creaking noise in low revs. It also did the noise a bit to the left (passenger side) although not as badly and does the noise when going forward.
The "loose wheel" noise which is another noise wasn't there when doing the test but that is only there when driving over lumps in the road.
Just out of interest my friend sat in the car today and said the creaking noise sounds more like a vibration (metal on metal) noise like the exhaust and I agree but that has been checked by two mechanics.!

·
Super Moderator
11,318 Posts
How about a video

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is very difficult to diagnose noise best bet is take it to a trusted mechanic.
Hi Kev,
Yes agree - already taken to two different mechanics (as above). First one had it 3 times after I complained that the noise developed as soon as I drove it after they did cambelt change...basically washed their hands of it. Second mechanic who I do totally trust has had it twice to sort out the problem. We thought we had cracked it but it was still there! The difficulty is you have to keep driving it to hear the noise ie it can’t be produced up on the ramp where things could be tried and tested. This means it’s very time consuming, taking it back out each time etc and he just can’t get the fault. It’s now got 3 noises...one on starting, one in low revs and now the loose wheel noise (no 3)! It was fine before the cambelt change so that’s why I thought I’d just see if anybody here had anything similar.

·
Super Moderator
2,051 Posts
Looks like you have the video(s) set as private on YouTube. We can’t see them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This video is the creaking/vibrating noise which happens as I pull off in low revs only. It does not do it in reverse. A friend (son works in a garage) said that they get a lot of Jukes making a creaking/vibration noise and it's often the air conditioning pipes knocking/vibrating on the bulkhead. Apparently Nissan zip tie them together (not tight) to stop this?
Looks like you have the video(s) set as private on YouTube. We can’t see them.
Ok thanks hopefully they are now public.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts