Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 SL 183,000 miles.

I successfully replaced my valve cover gasket. I am not a car guy, but I am fairly mechanically inclined. It's not all that difficult, just looks that way. I just checked out a couple of videos on YouTube first.

You only need a 8,10 and 12 mm socket maybe a flat blade screw driver and some pliers. You also need an 8mm box wrench to get the top right corner valve cover bolt off. I tried to do it without but ended up having to go buy the wrench.

One warning is the valve cover heat shield. The 3 bolts that hold it on are known to strip when trying to remove them. Mine must have been torqued down by King Kong. I had to get a bolt extractor socket and use a hammer to break it loose, even after applying penetrating oil. I think the reason they strip out is the design of the bolt head. It doesn't look like the socket is able to get fully down on top of it.

I forgot to put the heat shield back on but I caught my mistake early and just had to disconnect one spark plug wire to put the heat shield on. I laid out all the parts I took off so I could put them back on in reverse order but had placed the heat shield to the side after I cleaned it.

If you already have all the tools and you don't strip out the bolts and need new ones, I estimate this can be done in about 2 hours easily.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The video of the guy doing one out on the street is very good. Combined with Fast Religions videos for spark plugs you get all the info that you need.

It really does look like that top right bolt is the biggest challenge. Matt used a wrench with a couple of 90 degree bends in it (offset box wrench with an unusual amount of offset). The other guy took extra stuff off (with some difficulty) to get access. I tried to find that wrench locally and couldn't find one. We need to do the gasket on the Nismo.

·
Registered
2012 Juke SV AWD CVT
40 Posts
I just did the same thing on my Juke (in this thread). The only thing we weren't sure about was the torque specs for the valve cover bolts.
From what I found online, you have to do it in 2 stages with the final stage being 27-29 inch lbs of torque, but that back corner bolt was hard to get a reading on.

How tight did you bolt it back down?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was trying to replace the valve cover gasket recently as well and ended up stopping when I couldn't get the heat shield off. One of these days I'll get back in there with an extractor and actually get it done.
My understanding is that the valve cover bolts should be snug but not very tight at all, probably more important that all of them be tightened down evenly and consistently

·
Registered
666 Posts
For valve cover bolts; tighten until they stop turning, then using a 1/4 ratchet, tighten with only the strength in your wrist. This will be more than enough. As for the wrench I was using, It is called a box wrench, They are available at more Pep Boys, or you can order them from ebay, just be careful, cheap ones will strip bolt heads haha here is a link to an example: Ebay

The heat shield bolts are always a pain. Put a socket over them with a 6' extension. Using a small hammer, hit the extension a few times. This will shock the bolt a bit and help free it up. If you trust yourself enough, you can also use MAP gas to heat the bolt head up a bit, then let it cool. As long as you don't put the flame directly onto the heat shielding, you will not damage the valve cover. An induction heater is best here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did what FastReligion said with the valve cover bolts. The cover itself is plastic so you don't want to over tighten it.

·
Registered
2011 SV CVT
3 Posts
Hey guys. Long live forums. Can a lurker get a quick BS check re: 2011 Juke valve cover gasket replacement?

Any chance (early) 2011 models might run into issues where shops can't estimate VC replacement jobs correctly because their systems don't like the VINs? Like, they don't recognize the 2011 MY 'B' in the 10th digit or something like that?

NICOclub doesn't have a 2011 FSM—suggesting Nissan might have finalized things until the 2012 MY, but the VIN decoder page in the 2012 version shows updated in October 2011, so I dunno.

In any case, my legit trusted shop called me today, telling me they couldn't do the VC gasket for me because their system (Mitchell, I think?) didn't recognize our JN8AF5MR6BT VIN. When he called his parts guy at the Nissan dealer directly across the street, he was told the gaskets are built into the VC itself on our Juke, and he's never had that part in-stock or even used one since the Juke came out.

I've watched the FastReligion videos. Respect, dude. 👍 And Jaxx, you're one of the only reasons I even look at Instagram anymore. Which is to say I know there's legit expertise up in here.

A) Did the parts guy hand my guy a line of BS? (Because he ran the VIN and saw we left with the warranty?)
B) Is there any reason why I shouldn't just rip the VC off like any other (subject to the advice above)?

Thanks, y'all. I'm an old school forum admin from way back. Long live forums.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Doesn't directly answer any of your questions, but you can check the validity of the vin and verify the year and model/trim:

(Probably not interested in recall info, but it WILL report the year and model/trim when you do it).

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hey guys. Long live forums. Can a lurker get a quick BS check re: 2011 Juke valve cover gasket replacement?

Any chance (early) 2011 models might run into issues where shops can't estimate VC replacement jobs correctly because their systems don't like the VINs? Like, they don't recognize the 2011 MY 'B' in the 10th digit or something like that?

NICOclub doesn't have a 2011 FSM—suggesting Nissan might have finalized things until the 2012 MY, but the VIN decoder page in the 2012 version shows updated in October 2011, so I dunno.

In any case, my legit trusted shop called me today, telling me they couldn't do the VC gasket for me because their system (Mitchell, I think?) didn't recognize our JN8AF5MR6BT VIN. When he called his parts guy at the Nissan dealer directly across the street, he was told the gaskets are built into the VC itself on our Juke, and he's never had that part in-stock or even used one since the Juke came out.

I've watched the FastReligion videos. Respect, dude. 👍 And Jaxx, you're one of the only reasons I even look at Instagram anymore. Which is to say I know there's legit expertise up in here.

A) Did the parts guy hand my guy a line of BS? (Because he ran the VIN and saw we left with the warranty?)
B) Is there any reason why I shouldn't just rip the VC off like any other (subject to the advice above)?

Thanks, y'all. I'm an old school forum admin from way back. Long live forums.
all v1 mr16ddt engines use the same valve cover gasket.
The parts guy is just wrong.
The gasket is not part of the vc. It is a serviceable part like all gaskets on the engine.

If you cannot find 2011 information, it is all identical to the 2012-2014 models, no differences at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts