Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I did all the research, but I still screwed up... I bought a case of NS-2 CVT fluid for my 2016 Juke, just to realize that it needs NS-3 fluid.

But first, I was surprised that only 3.5 quarts came out on this tranny by opening the drain plug.. this could be be because this drain was higher than what I saw in ALL videos I could find. Or it could have low
In the first place.

Is it OK to replace 3.5 quarts of what must have been NS-3 with NS-2?

Does it make sense that only 3.5 quarts came out?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
Yes it makes sense that’s how much came out. No you should not use anything other than what the car came with from the factory. NS-2 is gen 1 CVT and NS-3 is gen 2 CVT.

to get more out you can jack up the rear of the car to bring that drain plug a little lower. You can also slowly shift through the gears to release some oil, but if you do that DO NOT have the engine running. Put the car in KOEO mode so the shifter is unlocked. The rest of the oil lives in the torque converter and valve body. 1 drain and fill only gets about 1/2 of the total fluid out of the system. Each subsequent drain and fills takes another half until the old is diluted enough with new that it doesn’t matter if you have old fluid still.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will get some NS-3 fluid...

As for getting more fluid out, I think I will drop the pan, because there is clearly plenty of fluid below the drain.

Does anyone in Massachusetts need some NS-2 fluid? :)

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
Yep, dropping the pan is another way of getting the most fluid out. Be sure to replace the gasket to prevent future leaks.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
There is a gasket, no rtv. Most dealerships should have the gasket in stock. Its cheap either in person or online.

You could probably get away using the same gasket again but since you have to dump a lot of expensive fluid to remove the pan I'd say go ahead and just put a fresh one in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts