Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New generation juke model here, 1.0 liter turbo

While changing to Sport mode from Standard or eco i feel that the boost build by the turbo is not the same in the other drive modes. The only way to really see whats going on is to add a boost gauge but i don't want to do that as this is my wife's car.

Anyone knows or installed a boost gauge so to let us know if the boost or the wastegate respond different in the other modes?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
2,226 Posts
on the gen 1 Juke, what I have, sport mode keeps the engine rpms up and the CVT in a lower “gear”. This allows the engine to reach its power band quicker and I believe the turbo will start to spool up a little sooner (not necessarily faster). Regardless of drive mode, the boost levels are the same. I have a boost gauge installed and I’ve also data logged through the OBD port. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed a difference in turbo operation between the modes. I’ve only noticed handling and engine response changes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on the gen 1 Juke, what I have, sport mode keeps the engine rpms up and the CVT in a lower “gear”. This allows the engine to reach its power band quicker and I believe the turbo will start to spool up a little sooner (not necessarily faster). Regardless of drive mode, the boost levels are the same. I have a boost gauge installed and I’ve also data logged through the OBD port. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed a difference in turbo operation between the modes. I’ve only noticed handling and engine response changes.
Thats what I knew too, at least on old generation cars with all mechanical watergate and dump valves who work via springs and vacuums. Nowadays tech is as most controlled electronically and I wanted to know if that’s the case. Maybe the previous gen Juke the turbo is all mechanical . Maybe some one will bring more light to the matter .
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,226 Posts
gen 1 has a mechanical spring wastegate that was actuated by a boost control solenoid valve which the ECU would send a PWM signal to in order to control the boost level as determined by the MAP sensor in the intake by the throttle body

gen 2 has an electronic wastegate driven by a stepper motor I believe.

so while the mechicals (and electricals) may be different, the theory and operation is still similar. Regardless, all of the non-Nismo badged Jukes are factory tuned at 12psi boost. Someone with a gen 2 and a boost gauge will need to chime in if they notice any difference in turbo spool or wastegate operation under sport mode. I have a feeling the answer is no, but I don’t have a gen 2 to test that on. There is one member on here (@slumberbunny) that has done extensive research and meddling with the boost control of a gen 2.

Reactions: ParisGeo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gen 1 has a mechanical spring wastegate that was actuated by a boost control solenoid valve which the ECU would send a PWM signal to in order to control the boost level as determined by the MAP sensor in the intake by the throttle body

gen 2 has an electronic wastegate driven by a stepper motor I believe.

so while the mechicals (and electricals) may be different, the theory and operation is still similar. Regardless, all of the non-Nismo badged Jukes are factory tuned at 12psi boost. Someone with a gen 2 and a boost gauge will need to chime in if they notice any difference in turbo spool or wastegate operation under sport mode. I have a feeling the answer is no, but I don’t have a gen 2 to test that on. There is one member on here (@slumberbunny) that has done extensive research and meddling with the boost control of a gen 2.
Thank you for the great info. Since then it’s controlled then by the cars computer, I bet the eco mode will boost less than the sport mode.

·
Super Moderator
2,226 Posts
not necessarily. It may not boost as quick up to full boost. in eco mode, I still hit 12psi which is the same as sport mode, but it does take a little longer to reach full boost. Maybe Nissan changed something in the 2020+ Juke. We (North America) don't know. You'd either need to install a boost gauge or find someone else with a 2020 Juke that has installed one to confirm. Again, on gen 1 and gen 2 Jukes, the drive modes just change the handling and the engine RPMs through timing and ignition, and the "gearing" on a CVT. It does not change the boost setpoint, that's 12psi regardless of drive mode.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes you are correct, drive modes do change the timing of gear changes and then the turbo follows regarding rpm and throttle input but since the new Juke is a full drive by wire, we wait to see if someone finds out. Surely on my visit to the dealer for the 1st oil change I will ask to find out

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'm flattered @squirtbrnr that you remember my tinkerings :D The gen2 from what I can tell - sport vs. normal changes the steering feel a tad and in my opinion doesn't change the spool rate or boost levels; just seems to rev a bit higher. Ie: 50km/h in normal will be like 1200rpm sport will be closer to 2000rpm to keep you closer to boost.
Sadly, all the research and testing of boost controller stuff for the gen2 resulted in me being able to safely (?!?) only add 2psi before flutter became a big issue; that's on a tuned motor, not stock. I can tell you that I know exactly what voltage (0-5v) is what PSI so I can do gauge stuff without having to plumb in a line or what have you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm flattered @squirtbrnr that you remember my tinkerings :D The gen2 from what I can tell - sport vs. normal changes the steering feel a tad and in my opinion doesn't change the spool rate or boost levels; just seems to rev a bit higher. Ie: 50km/h in normal will be like 1200rpm sport will be closer to 2000rpm to keep you closer to boost.
Sadly, all the research and testing of boost controller stuff for the gen2 resulted in me being able to safely (?!?) only add 2psi before flutter became a big issue; that's on a tuned motor, not stock. I can tell you that I know exactly what voltage (0-5v) is what PSI so I can do gauge stuff without having to plumb in a line or what have you.
Interesting and good to know. What Max boost values does the new Juke f16 is reaching?

·
Administrator
11,782 Posts
Depends on if its Gen 1 or Gen 2 or Gen 3.

Gen 1 can reach and hold 22 to 24 psi on the OEM and Mamba turbos. Bear in mind that the down pipe needs to be replaced.

As far as the New Jukes. Not sure as they are hard to mod ???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depends on if its Gen 1 or Gen 2 or Gen 3.

Gen 1 can reach and hold 22 to 24 psi on the OEM and Mamba turbos. Bear in mind that the down pipe needs to be replaced.

As far as the New Jukes. Not sure as they are hard to mod ???
1.0lt 3 cylinder turbo, I don’t believe I will ever try to modify anything as it’s my wife’s car and they have a 7 year warranty... The small turbo they have nowadays, I see no hesitation in low to mid revs

·
Registered
969 Posts
First thing my wife sort of wanted was for me TO modify her car :ROFLMAO: . That little 1l spits out 115hp so that's actually not bad, and I don't think there will EVER EVER be options to modify anything on that motor.

Reactions: ParisGeo
1 - 12 of 12 Posts