Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just got a small 4x4 utility trailer from Craiglist. How did you wire up your brake lights? The U-Haul guy said the only way he could do it was to do a custom job with a wire all the way from the battery. Seems chaotic.
I do think a converter that is battery powered is the way to go! I put wiring into my Altima for a trailer and used the power I put in for my Subwoofer to power it. It just senses the signal from the cars electrical and the load of the trailer lights is on the power from the battery, this way you don't risk overloading the cars signal, parking, or brake wiring or shorting if something happens to the wires. I tapped the signals off the wire harness just before it splits to go to the two sides. I was very glad because the first time I plugged a trailer in there was a short that blew the fuse going to the adapter. I'm glad nothing happened to the cars systems, you really don't want to mess with that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 2012 Juke AWD and I have the Class I Draw Tite hitch. I have a steel cargo carrier that I have used to carry gear on several times. However, I would like to get a lightweight trailer, preferably without the load gate, that just adds weight and I won't be carrying any motorized toys, mainly to carry camping gear, a grill, and maybe kayaks. What I'm wondering is when you hook a trailer up, are you using something to convert the 1 1/4" receiver to a 2" receiver or do you do something else? Do all trailers hook onto a 2" ball? As of yet I haven't seen a class III hitch for a Juke.
There are adapters available but it's not the best idea, the smaller size is because the hitch is rated for less weight. On my other car, I got a 1 1/4" receiver that matched my hitch and installed the 1 7/8" ball onto it. I only tow a super light aluminum trailer on it. I have a class one hitch rated for 200 lbs toung weight and 2000 pounds tow weight. Altima's have been rated for 1000 lbs and I'd guess Jukes would be similar, but I think the current models of both cars say don't tow a Trailer.

There are several ball sizes available, and each larger size is often rated for more weight on the trailer. 2" is probably the most common, followed by 1 7/8" ball (what my light trailer uses), and then 2 5/16. There are more sizes and types, but these are the most common used for standard size non-business towing. Putting a higher class hitch on a Juke would not make a lot of sense because a class 1 exceeds the capacity of the car anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How's Juke a year later

I have two questions,
First is I'm wondering how your Juke is performing 1 1/2 year after your trip. Does the everyday performance still hold up to pre trip performance or does the engine/transmission seem to show loss of power, pick up, slipping?

Second do you feel the AWD made a difference in the towing ability or would a front wheel drive perform the same?

I was very disappointed when I bought my 2012 Juke and discovered NO TOWING. I love my car but really need to be able to tow sometimes (1500lbs occasionally, usually much less). I am considering selling my Juke to get something I can tow a few times a year with. It hurts to consider giving up my baby. I love her but can't afford to end up with a ruined car.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have two questions,

<snip>

Second do you feel the AWD made a difference in the towing ability or would a front wheel drive perform the same?

I was very disappointed when I bought my 2012 Juke and discovered NO TOWING. I love my car but really need to be able to tow sometimes (1500lbs occasionally, usually much less). I am considering selling my Juke to get something I can tow a few times a year with. It hurts to consider giving up my baby. I love her but can't afford to end up with a ruined car.
Obviously I can’t help with the first question, but I can with the second.

GENERALLY speaking FWD cars are not AS good at towing simply because the trailer tongue weight can unload the drive wheels somewhat. That said, if you’re only talking about a 1500 lbs. load that is properly set-up you should only be talking about 150 lbs. of tongue weight so I don’t expect you’d have a problem.

As for selling and buying something that IS rated to tow, as long as you’re not talking about high speed or hauling heavy loads up and down mountains I REALLY REALLY don’t think you’re going to have any problems. As I’ve stated before, the Juke (with identical powertrain) is rated to tow more than that in other markets (like the EU). But obviously you have to do what makes you comfortable. I know I wouldn’t hesitate. Hell, I towed more than that with two of our last three Subarus (both with 2.5L naturally aspirated motors that made LESS HP and LESS TORQUE than the Juke is rated).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Kev M, one reason I bought the juke was the better power than similar size cars, that's why I was shocked when I discovered the no towing thing. I don't understand why the same car is rated for towing in the EU but not USA.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Thanks Kev M, one reason I bought the juke was the better power than similar size cars, that's why I was shocked when I discovered the no towing thing. I don't understand why the same car is rated for towing in the EU but not USA.
It's pretty common with cars and smaller SUVs to have larger (or existing) tow ratings in the EU and not in the US (I've seen it on Nissans, Subarus, BMWs etc). I do strongly suspect it is a result of a less-litigious society, so manufacturers play it safe to the point of paranoia in the US.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just for thought... I have two trailers that are at 200 pound and 1000 pound empty weight (4'x4' and 5'x14', respectively). I have found my gas mileage is about the same whether I tow 200 pounds or 1000 pounds. This is going 65 mph on the highway and both get 20-22 mpg, depending on how many hills I have to climb. I typically get 27-28 mpg on the same stretch of highway without the trailer.

And I agree with what Kev wrote about the AWD. The Juke feels more stable with it on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been looking into buying a Juke for a few months now and the main do/do not buy point would be the towing since I have a lightweight trailer (~250 lbs) and a snowmobile (~525 lbs) to pull in winter.
This thread has been very helpful in answering all my questions as the max I probably be travelling at is 120 km/h (75 mph) for passing and no 100+ weather.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The comment earlier about 100+ weather was a joke =)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this thread is old but it is the best detailed towing experience I have seen. I have a 2016 S Awd and am looking to purchase a dirt bike and a light weight trailer from Harbor Freight or Northern tool and installing wheel chocks and tie down hooks. At most I would be hauling 2 dirt bikes around 230lbs each and gear and gas for the weekend with 1 passenger. Based on your experience do you think the juke would be OK with this load? I do live in the Salt Lake City area so I am at higher elevation and would be taking 5-6 hour trips max to ride the surrounding areas. I do already have a hitch for my bike rack but need to install the wiring. Thanks for the input.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts