Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just entering California. Car handeled Arizona well once I backed off the go go pedal some. This answer your question
Pardon, Moi.
I thought I was reading and old post..............Please continue, this is very interesting as I was wondering if you could tow with a Joke.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Pardon, Moi.
I thought I was reading and old post..............Please continue, this is very interesting as I was wondering if you could tow with a Joke.
No worries. More to come when I stop for the day!��

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looking at your picks, any reason why you didn't just toss the bikes in the trailer and strap them down? I had a Saris Bone trunk rack on my Accord and it nicked the area a bit from general use over the years. My Juke is still too precious for any type of contact like that. Maybe it's still in baby mode.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Looking at your picks, any reason why you didn't just toss the bikes in the trailer and strap them down? I had a Saris Bone trunk rack on my Accord and it nicked the area a bit from general use over the years. My Juke is still too precious for any type of contact like that. Maybe it's still in baby mode.
The enclosed trailer my wife is towing is packed top to bottom front to back including a Harley, a turbo hayabusa with a stretch, my trek mountain bike and other smaller parcels. I could have strapped it down to the top of my open trailer buy my juke is just over a year old and has 40k miles, scratches are beyond my worry that and I plan on plasti dipping the car in the next few months. I do understand your concern though I have just personally passed that point.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Santa Rosa, Nm. -> Flagstaff, Az.

Temp / High - 92 / Low - 78 / Hours - 9 / Miles - 450 / Steep Grade Hills

So first things first... Slowing down helped, ALOT. I set the cruise control for 65(as opposed to 75 yesterday) for as much of the trip as I could and netted a 24.1MPG average, I think my speed average was around 62-63MPH!
Though I'm sure pace played a part in it, altitude probably helped as well - at the very least thinner air = less resistance even if the turbo makes up all or some of the difference at the intake.

I know I've always gotten MUCH better mileage on everything I've taken to any altitude.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I do hope your trip is going well? I have a some questions I do hope you do not mind.Towing will pretty much always drop gas mileage and can put a strain on the drive train.I see you end up using cruise control and the mileage went up. Are you aware most car manufactuers do not want you to tow while in cruise mode? Since you have over 40 K on your Juke I am assuming it is no longer under warranty or did you buy the extended? As far as I can tell you have not mentioned if this is a pleasure trip or are you moving? It wasn't until yesterday you mentioned your wife and another vehicle. Was there a reason you just didn't get a larger trailer and use her car (unidentified)? If this is a vacation (LMFAO) you pack like I do! I take about everything known to man except the kitchen sink.I do hope you and your wife have a safe journey! Good luck & God speed. :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I do hope your trip is going well? I have a some questions I do hope you do not mind.Towing will pretty much always drop gas mileage and can put a strain on the drive train.I see you end up using cruise control and the mileage went up. Are you aware most car manufactuers do not want you to tow while in cruise mode? Since you have over 40 K on your Juke I am assuming it is no longer under warranty or did you buy the extended? As far as I can tell you have not mentioned if this is a pleasure trip or are you moving? It wasn't until yesterday you mentioned your wife and another vehicle. Was there a reason you just didn't get a larger trailer and use her car (unidentified)? If this is a vacation (LMFAO) you pack like I do! I take about everything known to man except the kitchen sink.I do hope you and your wife have a safe journey! Good luck & God speed. :cool:
Ok so let me tackle this one part at a time.

This is a military move or PCS (permanent change of station)

I do know about towing/cruise control and it was maximized only during flatlands/plains driving and during the smaller hills. Once we hit the larger hills of Arizona and the MTNS of Cali it was all foot action from that point on!

The wife drives a 2008 Ford F150 FX2 (Curb weight approx 4200 lbs) her weight on the scale was 8900lbs.

We used Uhaul pods to pack 90% of the house and intended to tow the remaining 10% that was supposed to fit snugly mostly in her truck not overweighing either of us instead we underestimated what we had and by the time we realized we needed her towing more it was too late (2 days from departure) to sell one of our 2 old trailers and buy new, and since we own two already renting a 3rd was just not a option. In all reality though she was nearing her max towing weight so a larger trailer would not have necessarly been beneficial and she would have only lightened my load by maybe 300lbs.

As for the warranty I have no clue what I have at this point, the documentation is in the car but it did not play a role in my decision to make this trip as we did.

I hope I asked everything you were looking for and if I missed anything please feel free to point it out!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Flagstaff, Az. -> Monterey, Ca.

Temp / High - 118 / Low - 55 / Hours - 12 / Miles - 720.5 / MPG - 20.5 / Steep Grade Hills / Mountains! / Total Miles - 2510.2

I continued today with a steady pace of 65 MPH and while my MPG slipped some (I blame it on the MTNs) It was still much better than when I was blazing along at 75+! Key point of the day, the Mojave Is HOT, and when I say hot I mean 118 degrees hot (granted I have been deployed to Iraq and saw a 152 on a wetbulb once but this still sucked, for me not the car, the car in fact made me smile as this was a LONG day with the heat bearing down almost 3/4's of the trip! There was no strain, no luls, no issue, I had faith in the car the whole way (restored after only two days ago I was starting to be doubtful it would make the whole trip).

Final thoughts.... Would I even tow this much with my Juke again, No, not unless I had absolutly no other choice! Would I ever tow again, YES! I think the car can easily handle 800lbs (essentially a motorcycle and 4'x7' trailer with no frills) or less for short (10-200 miles) trips on a regular basis or medium trips (200-400 miles) on a slightly less frequent basis without causing great strain on the weak point and for this car I would have to say would be the CVT over the engine, drive components, or any other part. I know my curb weight is approx 3200 lbs, and my scale weight was 4900ish of that 1700lbs difference I would easily say 1400 of that was between the trailer and its load, This I do not advise!!!!!!

All in all the trip was a success and I have never been prouder of any vehicle I have owned or put this much abuse on any (besides maybe the 636 it was towing which I bought new in '05 and still have!) If you have any questions I missed or may not have answered as clearly as you would like please do not hesitate to ask!

·
Registered
19 Posts
And for a few last pictures!

1. Sunset in Cali approx 200 miles from destination
2. The Trip has come to a end!
3. Middle of nowhere California has oil rigs?
4. Some of the sexy curves provided by the Mountains of California (can't wait to get the 636 on these things!)
5. 118 Degrees - No Bull****!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Great journal of your journey. I enjoyed reading it. As a fellow AWD owner I appreciate your practical experiment into towing as well. Thanks!

PS- Ft. Hood native for 18 years.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ok so let me tackle this one part at a time.

This is a military move or PCS (permanent change of station)

I do know about towing/cruise control and it was maximized only during flatlands/plains driving and during the smaller hills. Once we hit the larger hills of Arizona and the MTNS of Cali it was all foot action from that point on!

The wife drives a 2008 Ford F150 FX2 (Curb weight approx 4200 lbs) her weight on the scale was 8900lbs.

We used Uhaul pods to pack 90% of the house and intended to tow the remaining 10% that was supposed to fit snugly mostly in her truck not overweighing either of us instead we underestimated what we had and by the time we realized we needed her towing more it was too late (2 days from departure) to sell one of our 2 old trailers and buy new, and since we own two already renting a 3rd was just not a option. In all reality though she was nearing her max towing weight so a larger trailer would not have necessarly been beneficial and she would have only lightened my load by maybe 300lbs.

As for the warranty I have no clue what I have at this point, the documentation is in the car but it did not play a role in my decision to make this trip as we did.

I hope I asked everything you were looking for and if I missed anything please feel free to point it out!
I kind of thought the move was PCS. Good Luck on your new venture!My moves when in the military were "Time to move out,grab your bag and get on the plane Private." I do not miss that one bit but after all it was 41 years ago . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just got a small 4x4 utility trailer from Craiglist. How did you wire up your brake lights? The U-Haul guy said the only way he could do it was to do a custom job with a wire all the way from the battery. Seems chaotic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Juke AWD and I have the Class I Draw Tite hitch. I have a steel cargo carrier that I have used to carry gear on several times. However, I would like to get a lightweight trailer, preferably without the load gate, that just adds weight and I won't be carrying any motorized toys, mainly to carry camping gear, a grill, and maybe kayaks. What I'm wondering is when you hook a trailer up, are you using something to convert the 1 1/4" receiver to a 2" receiver or do you do something else? Do all trailers hook onto a 2" ball? As of yet I haven't seen a class III hitch for a Juke.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts