Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
First, yes I know the manual says "DO NOT TOW". If your here to flame please go ahead but don't expect a return on your weak jesture as since I have already begun my sinful path your ILL begotten words can not be heard by me as I do not have the time or need for them..

For those that are here to learn and NOT flame.. I will be driving from Ft Knox, Kentucky to Monterey, Ca over the next 6 days.

The car is a 2012 with currently 35,000 Miles (oil change every 4k with synthetic oils)

The trailer is a 4x7 from Tractor Supply Co. (approx 300lbs)
On it will be my 2006 636 (approx 350 lbs (dry weight))

In the car will be myself two dogs, and a few odds and ends.
And strapped to the hatch will be my bike rack with my Trek Road Bike and Trek MTN Bike.

I will do my best to post during my travels for now here is a pic before the adventure begins.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Initial thoughts... Did a quick around the block and back... Got up to 50 MPH.. The trailer loaded still feels light.. It does not push the car under breaking or pull the car under acceleration.. Other than a small portion of not so smooth road where a lot of chatter was heard from the rattling gate it was virtually unheard...

·
Registered
123 Posts
First, yes I know the manual says "DO NOT TOW". If your here to flame please go ahead but don't expect a return on your weak jesture as since I have already begun my sinful path your ILL begotten words can not be heard by me as I do not have the time or need for them..

For those that are here to learn and NOT flame.. I will be driving from Ft Knox, Kentucky to Monterey, Ca over the next 6 days.

The car is a 2012 with currently 35,000 Miles (oil change every 4k with synthetic oils)

The trailer is a 4x7 from Tractor Supply Co. (approx 300lbs)
On it will be my 2006 636 (approx 350 lbs (dry weight))

In the car will be myself two dogs, and a few odds and ends.
And strapped to the hatch will be my bike rack with my Trek Road Bike and Trek MTN Bike.

I will do my best to post during my travels for now here is a pic before the adventure begins.
Logix, what kind of receiver hitch do you have on your Juke? Was it a custom weld/fabricated job or a kit? No flaming from me =), I'm looking to setup some sort of hitch for a bike rack and maybe trailer when needed. I love the pic too btw!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Logix, what kind of receiver hitch do you have on your Juke? Was it a custom weld/fabricated job or a kit? No flaming from me =), I'm looking to setup some sort of hitch for a bike rack and maybe trailer when needed. I love the pic too btw!
Being newish to this site I am unsure if I am able to link sites outside of this one but the Hitch was purchased on amazon - it was a DrawTie
[h=1]Search this - "TRAILER HITCH FITS 11 - 12 NISSAN JUKE AWD ONLY (CLASS 1 1-1/4" TUBE) #E554"[/h]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok, so day 1 down.Temp High - 92Low - 78Hours - 8.5Miles - 538The car was loaded with ALOT more this morning as we had more stuff than anticipated soooooooo after being officially weighed at Ft Knox on a certified scale....Full Car/Trailer Weight Loaded to the seams - 4820 LBS (thats minus driver)...... Ouch!The trip went smooth and the the trailer pulled like a dream.. I quite often forgot it was there and the car being a CVT still had plenty of umph to get around traffic when needed and didn't feel labored or stressed.Next leg tomorrow to Oklahoma City to see freinds more updates to come!

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Logix, any hits on your MPG? I plan on a similar trailer with two mountain bikes, a large cooler, and a 6 ft kayak traveling from Dallas to Destin. I decided a hitch\trailer combo is better than getting a permanent roof rack (for now).

·
Registered
33 Posts
good luck on your trip! I'm keeping an eye on this thread since I eventually plan on towing a small sailboat and an occasional track bike or two.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Logix, thanks for keeping us updated on this!

I think this will be the first time we've heard about such an experiment being done. Since you're towing over the recommended towing capacity stated by Nissan, I will be interested to see how this will effect your car in the long run.

Best of luck on the trip!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Not going to be one of those 'do a search' people, but this was raised a while ago. The UK-version (1.6L turbo, CVT AWD) does actually have a tow rating, see this thread:

http://www.jukeforums.com/forum/nissan-juke-general-discussion/117303-towing-capacity-7.html#post1684796

They list a max. trailer weight of 728 lbs, but only 75 lbs. on the tongue, so balance the load on the trailer axle carefully.

Never played w/ my scangauge on the Juke but if it can read trans. temp. it would be great to know when you're running it too hard.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not going to be one of those 'do a search' people, but this was raised a while ago. The UK-version (1.6L turbo, CVT AWD) does actually have a tow rating, see this thread:

http://www.jukeforums.com/forum/nissan-juke-general-discussion/117303-towing-capacity-7.html#post1684796

They list a max. trailer weight of 728 lbs, but only 75 lbs. on the tongue, so balance the load on the trailer axle carefully.

Never played w/ my scangauge on the Juke but if it can read trans. temp. it would be great to know when you're running it too hard.
it lists 728kg which is roughly 1604lbs and 75kg tongue which is about 165lbs

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Logix, any hits on your MPG? I plan on a similar trailer with two mountain bikes, a large cooler, and a 6 ft kayak traveling from Dallas to Destin. I decided a hitch\trailer combo is better than getting a permanent roof rack (for now).
I can't believe Forgot to put this bit of information in there though I have been tracking it thanks for bringing it up!

Now keep in mind I have the car excessively overloaded and would not recommend towing this heavy unless necessary! I have a feeling this is causing a BIG hit to my MPG and if I were just towing only the bike on the trailer with only me and a friend or two in the car the numbers would be much better. This will all be tested and recorded once we get to our destination and future travels.

2012 AWD SV CVT / Curb Weight - 3200lbs (approx)
Weight Loaded - 4820lbs (exact)
Carried Weight in and out of car - 1620lbs (approx)

For day 1 crossing mostly the Plains of America with little to no hills the car averaged 20.2 MPG

For day 2 we hit the hills in Oklahoma and the car showed signs of struggle not in performance but gas usage with a whopping 16.4 MPG

While Day 2 numbers are horrid I feel it would not be so if I were towing a more tolerable weight but for now this is just guessing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before I get into Day 2 Stats and Info I would like to thank everyone participating for the constructive interaction. Also I would like to answer everyone's question's and if I by chance miss something you would like responded to please let me know, I am not perfect.

Day 2

Temp / High - 95 / Low - 70 / Hours - 6 / Miles - 392.7 /

Day 2 was much like day 1. The car continued on fine, I still had ample pep to get around traffic even on some of the steeper uphills. The biggest issue with Day 2 was the Drop in MPG addressed in the earlier post, I attest most of the drop in MPG to my Excessive weight, if a more manageable weight was loaded I have a feeling I would maintain a more consistent and reliable MPG. I will continue to track this closer. Today we travel from Ft Sill Oklahoma to A
lbuquerque, New Mexico (possibly further).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ready for another days Haul! What you never want to do, push your car as close to empty as I did. We hit a 55 mile stretch of Oklahoma that had NO gas stations. I had according to my on car 45 miles of gas. At 6 miles the --- lines appeared and I was driving with a very puckered back side. 12 miles later I made it some how to a gas station. So when a 11.8 Gallon tank takes on 12+ gallons, you know Fumes saved your day.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So Day 3 was filled with fun.... and by fun I mean I'm already towing a overweight car but fate decided to throw the New Mexico Hills and scorching 100+ degree day my way.... Needless to say it was a rough day.

Temp / High - 105 / Low - 92 / Hours - 6 / Miles - 400 / Steep Grade Hills

Due to the heat the hills and the weight I had two OH **** moments during which I think I hit the safe mode of the CVT transmission (where it wont accelerate and like a rev limiter essentially forces you to slow down thus relieving stress until it finds that happy spot and lets you take back over). Mind you with everything going against me I was in a 75MPH zone attempting to do 80 for the long haul. Lesson learned, if you have to tow any weight (especially as much as I) and you are battling hills and heat I found 65MPH to be a sufficient and safe speed with no further issues of the CVT going into fail safe mode or showing signs of strain. Tomorrow is more of the same, Hills, followed by more hills and possible Mtns, and ever increasing temps as I finish off New Mexico and Push into Arizona (Yay more Heat!).

On the UP note with all the elements against me and having to slow to 65 on a 75 and being passed by the elderly and truckers I ended up with MPG Gains ending the day with nearly 18MPG average, I believe had I sustained 65 the whole day I could have netted higher.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great update, Logix. Just the information I was looking for. I just got my trailer hitch in and of course could not find my torque wrench until the sun had set.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Day 4.... Much better than day 3.. and possibly better than day 2 or 1.

Santa Rosa, Nm. -> Flagstaff, Az.

Temp / High - 92 / Low - 78 / Hours - 9 / Miles - 450 / Steep Grade Hills

So first things first... Slowing down helped, ALOT. I set the cruise control for 65(as opposed to 75 yesterday) for as much of the trip as I could and netted a 24.1MPG average, I think my speed average was around 62-63MPH! The hills were still steep and painful but not so bad as yesterday and I believe that to be in part to both the significantly lower temp and me slowing things down. This leg took us alot longer due to slowing down my pace but also due to finally finding some sites along the way to see!!!!!

All in all I am really pleased with my Juke! knowing what I do now I have little to no worries that she will make it to the final destination without fail.

Pics to follow!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts