Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with tinting (smoking?) the front hood lights on the Juke?

I love the lights, I am just thinking about getting dark color and the contrast is a little much. I mentioned this to someone I met at the dealership and they said I could get them tinted? Smoked?

Apparently you remove the glass enclosure and spray it with some sort of tinted coating? Is this something I would need to do? Is this something a performance shop does? could do? I feel a little silly wondering but I am not much of a car guy... although I am kinda getting into the idea of making some subtle changes to my new Juke to make it my own..

Any advice on tinting/smoking the hood lights is super helpful! Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with tinting (smoking?) the front hood lights on the Juke?

I love the lights, I am just thinking about getting dark color and the contrast is a little much. I mentioned this to someone I met at the dealership and they said I could get them tinted? Smoked?

Apparently you remove the glass enclosure and spray it with some sort of tinted coating? Is this something I would need to do? Is this something a performance shop does? could do? I feel a little silly wondering but I am not much of a car guy... although I am kinda getting into the idea of making some subtle changes to my new Juke to make it my own..

Chris
I am currently looking into this as well. There is a place here in my city that tints taillight and what not (with film) and they can do head light as well. Looking to get my head lights, signal lights and taillight (except the reverse light) blacked out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I planned on buying a Juke soon but I blacked out my BMW 325i. Purchased precut film on internet (it is super thick unlike regular window tint) and applied with razor blade, squeegee, spray bottle, and heat gun. The product stands up well. The hard curves were a little trickey (ie; 90 degree curves), you really have to heat up the film. Instuctions called to use a hair drier or heat gun, the hair drier would not have sufficed. I have not tried to use the spray tint but I think I would practice before use...I wouldn't think that precut would be available yet but you could try or even just purchase a small sheet since even with the precuts you will have to do some trimming. Be careful on how dark you tint down, it really knocks down the headlamps.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Chris
Yes there is a film company on the internet that has precut film for the headlights Nissan Juke Headlight Covers, Clear Bras, and Tail Light Covers And no you don't have to take apart the glass. It lays over the headlights. I suppose you would probably need to use a heat gun. But you have to becareful with the police, because its illegal. So far nothing for the Jukes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think if you change up your hood lights or tail lights to the like of sir michaels and other brands, i'm sure that things would have been even much more better than before. But I guess cleaning it can be good too. It's still your choice at the end in order to really make things work out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
1. tinting taillights is illegal.
2. you will get pulled over and get a ticket.
3. if you're going to do it anyway do not use spray it is PERMANENT.

so then when #2 occurs, not only will you have a ticket. but now you have to replace tail light lenses. Sounds like a ****ty deal to me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
1. tinting taillights is illegal.
2. you will get pulled over and get a ticket.
3. if you're going to do it anyway do not use spray it is PERMANENT.

so then when #2 occurs, not only will you have a ticket. but now you have to replace tail light lenses. Sounds like a ****ty deal to me.
Tinting tail lights is illegal in a lot of places but its rarely enforced as a primary offence. No cop is pulling you over for tail smoke alone. It will be something he adds when you're pulled over for something else.

·
Registered
48 Posts
tell that to all the people who have been cited for it in the greater dallas area. I know people who are police officers. They will pull you over. doesnt bother me if people tint the tail lights or not. I think its worthless unless you are TRUELY blacking out a vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Hey guys..

I'm considering tinting the big ol' round headlamps on my juke with a light smoke to de-emphasize them and make the alligator lamps more prominent...kinda liking it...thoughts?

View attachment 37612

12" x Linear Foot Headlight & Taillight Cover Film Sheet - StickerCity.com
You're picture made me feel blind for a sec. lol
On a styling side it would actually look good and definitely emphasize the gators. It's a personal preference and I know I wouldn't do it because I want all the light I can get at night.
On Ebay, they sell the opposite film. They sell the tinting for the gators. Go figure.
I'd love to see someone do this.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
You're picture made me feel blind for a sec. lol
On a styling side it would actually look good and definitely emphasize the gators. It's a personal preference and I know I wouldn't do it because I want all the light I can get at night.
On Ebay, they sell the opposite film. They sell the tinting for the gators. Go figure.
I'd love to see someone do this.
Yeah..I saw that...and if you go to the RVinyl site you'll see they actually have both the alligators and headlamps as one kit..two issues I have with them.. the quality of film they are using is that of windown tint thickness (not really durable for exterior use) and the other is that they only have it in smoke tint.. on a gun metallic gray color like i have I would prefer going with "Iron" tint color from sticker city..a bit more sophisticated look IMO

http://www.rvinyl.com/headlight-tint-Nissan-Juke-2011.htm

·
Registered
88 Posts
I painted the housing on my headlights... baked them to take them apart and then painted the chrome housing...
the tail lights i sprayed with VHT nightshades.... 2 coats on some lights i got from ebay...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Update: I ordered the thicker protection film from RVinyl. The headlight film looks to be a good fit, however the alligator eyes were way too small. There is some stretch to the material, but the cut sample was only 20" long, whereas the alligor eye is 28". I'm hoping they messed up the scale of the drawing as they are also too narrow.

I'll post when I hear back from RVinyl, I'm either getting them swapped with a full size or returning and going with the iron from sticker city.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Update: I ordered the thicker protection film from RVinyl. The headlight film looks to be a good fit, however the alligator eyes were way too small. There is some stretch to the material, but the cut sample was only 20" long, whereas the alligor eye is 28". I'm hoping they messed up the scale of the drawing as they are also too narrow.

I'll post when I hear back from RVinyl, I'm either getting them swapped with a full size or returning and going with the iron from sticker city.
Hey Vetter..thanks for the update..I was wondering if those film cutouts for the "gators" from RVinyl would fit? too short huh??? I've used sticker city on my headlamps...they are really a nice thickness and work well ...but not so sure they will conform well to the gators...I tried a sample on them with using a heat gun to stretch the material around some of those sharp corners and it destroys the film!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I was planning on removing the gators from the vehicle to install. it really makes the application easier. I also use a hair dryer instead of a heat gun to keep the temp down, main thing is to keep the adhesive wet and work slow. I use invisible glass window cleaner as the wetting agent, it seems to work well though takes some time to dry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Best thing to do to keep your headlights legal is to blackout the lights internally and you will have no problems with the cops. Just bake the lights and pull them apart and paint the chrome accent pieces, but not the light reflector portions!! I know it seems like alot, but it is not that hard to do and it looks custom!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts