Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Timing Chain Related Problems - General Poll

• 2011 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No problems yet)

Votes: 69 27.2%
  • 2011 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • 2012 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No problems yet)

Votes: 47 18.5%
  • 2012 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • 2013 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed(No problems yet)

Votes: 61 24.0%
  • 2013 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 2014 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No Problems)

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • 2014 - Timing Chain Related Problems

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2015 - Original Timing Chain (No Problems)

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • 2015 - Timing Chain Related Problems

Votes: 1 0.4%
841 - 849 of 849 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,494 Posts
Who can I get in touch with?
A lawyer.

In all seriousness though, sorry you're having problems with your Juke. You can reach out to Nissan customer affairs (or whatever the department is called) and place in inquiry to them. They will want to see any and all maintenance records including but not limited to every oil change and the mileage it was performed at. Your best bet is to start at a dealership or highly qualified mechanic for an official diagnosis to start any process of repair or request to Nissan.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I work for a Nissan dealer. Your powertrain warranty is 60k miles. Nissan is already going above and beyond by paying for the parts. They have every right to say they're not paying for anything.
Every right to design faulty mechanical items not designed to last you mean. It amazes me how Nissan seems to strive to get rid of customers and strive to not sell a product. That is how it seems to me.
I'd like to know the country of origin of the timing chains that failed so easily?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2013 Nissan Juke S AWD with 89K miles and just got the dreaded "you have a issue with your timing components" + oil leaking from my mechanic. I got quoted between $2K-$3K to fix which seems excessive to me. Are there specific questions that I should be asking? If I wanted to call around and get different price quotes, can I say I have issues with "timing components" or do I need to be very specific?

·
Administrator
12,820 Posts
Just say that your timing chain need to be replaced. There are specific what to do's here and parts lists within this thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have have a nissan juke and the timing chain was replaced before we got it...now 102000 miles later it went out again which I didn't know about the recall and now my motor is shot and I'd love to sue Nissan just don't know how or who to contact about this problem
Who can I get in touch with?
Thanks
Ann Garner
Hi, New to this forum...
My wife's Juke is a 2017 with only 35k miles. She bought the car brand new.
The problem with the car started around 2019. When the engine warmed up, the car starts shaking at idle. When at a stoplight, it feels like the car wants to "go' even though foot is on the brake! The problem gradually got worse since the car purchase.
This is our service history with this issue:
First, the dealership said it was the fuel filter, so they changed that.
Then, it was a tune-up that would solve the problem.
Back again to have the transmission replaced.
Then they said it must be the fuel pump and that's when we decided to wait and maybe trade the car in.
Finally, we took the car into another dealership and let them have a go at it.
After 3 weeks of diagnosing parts, they called in a Nissan engineer and came to the conclusion it was the timing chain.
We already spoke with Nissan Consumer Affairs to start the process. Hopefully they will decide to pay for this but looks like we will still have to pay a $900 bill for labor.
Lets see where this goes ...

·
Administrator
12,820 Posts
Oh they did. They just didnt have the internet to spread it around.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Supply chain sourcing is most times unknown. I've found Japanese suppliers, German suppliers, French, and Chinese on the Juke where I could identify the part number/source. There is a possibility they used China sourcing on the timing chain but I highly doubt it given the TSBs but you never know.

The timing chain slack is coming from the link wear due to oil starvation and/or tensioner failure and not actually stretching, a common urban myth. Timing chain is highly susceptible to oil starvation, had a good talk with my Nissan parts guy/tech and we talked about a few Juke topics. There is an oil squirter dead smack in the middle between the main timing chain that can easily get clogged, orifice size is maybe .015-.020" diameter and would take a threading needle to clear it out. This is what's keeping the chain splash lubricated and alive, it's also replaceable but most techs wouldn't even bother. Oil tensioner for the main timing chain has small oil passages and can also fail if clogged. The oil pump drive chain tensioner uses a preloaded spring so no issues there. Also read some comments about the plastic tensioner guide/shoe being plastic as an issue and I can state mine had little to no wear after 80,000 miles. The updated tensioner guide plastic material was a black Zytel PA66 GF30% while the original was an orange/natural PA66. Good heat resistance and excellent toughness though I've seen better materials for lowering friction it doesn't matter once they are splash oil lubricated it's all the same. If you wore out that plastic shoe......your oil feed injector was clogged and that is the root cause to the timing chain failure.

I'm a strong proponent of Valvoline synthetic oil and I change it about every 6,000-7,500 miles though earlier is obviously better. Never had issues with any type of timing chain, oil feed, turbo bearing, cam wear, or engine main/rod bearing wear. I switched to the revised timing chain but can't comment on high mileage reliability. Should be doing this replacement every 100,000 miles or earlier.

This is why they are going to ask for oil change receipts for a warranty claim.

841 - 849 of 849 Posts