Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Timing Chain Related Problems - General Poll

• 2011 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No problems yet)

Votes: 69 27.3%
  • 2011 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • 2012 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No problems yet)

Votes: 47 18.6%
  • 2012 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • 2013 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed(No problems yet)

Votes: 60 23.7%
  • 2013 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 2014 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No Problems)

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • 2014 - Timing Chain Related Problems

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2015 - Original Timing Chain (No Problems)

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • 2015 - Timing Chain Related Problems

Votes: 1 0.4%
821 - 839 of 839 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
So your vehicle is within the 2011 to 2013 range of Jukes that were to be recalled. Did you buy it new from the Nissan Dealer? Did you check with the dealer if the voluntary recall was sent out i9n 2014?

·
Registered
36 Posts
ANDREA SKAGGS has commented on: "Nissan recalls 104,000 Jukes for timing
belts"

----
I am dealing with this same
I am dealing with this same problem. According to Nissan the timing chain was
replaced in 2014. Yet, here I am looking at replacing the timing chain and
front casing of the engine because the problem occurred. It seems the recall
fix was temporary. I only noticed this issue when we failed to accelerate
while going through an intersection. It is definitely an issue that warrants
answers.

Andrea Skaggs. What country do you live in? Having lost power at an intersection is a concern for your safety and could have resulted in a collision with serious injury or death. Did you report this to the Transportation Department Safety Bureau? They won't do anything unless there is injury or death as a result of that timing chain breaking. In Ontario, Canada, the Ministry of Transport already has a file number set up on a similar problem with timing chain on Nissan Juke vehicles, even on manufacturing years after the Voluntary Recall Nissan issued on 2011-2013 Jukes, but it was suspected that even later models had the defective chains installed without Nissan knowing it. Let me know your situation because there may be a class action lawsuit being set up against Nissan on this very issue. Thanks, Joseph Ficker

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone I have a Nissan Juke 1.2 Accenta+ 2016 with a mileage of less than 50 000km on the clock. The timing chain has stretched and Nissan claims that it is normal vehicle maintenance. According to their maintenance and service guide the timing chain should be replaced for the first time at 300 000Km. In my opinion, the timing chain stretch prematurely which is in actual fact then a poor quality product from Nissan's side. I have read some articles in other countries how Nissan recalled about 104 000 Nissan Jukes from the 2011 - 2013 modules due to poor quality timing chains (https://www.cars.com/articles/2011-2013-nissan-juke-timing-chain-issue-1420684822420/), (Nissan recalls 104,000 Jukes for timing belts | Torque News.)
My question is, did Nissan really fixed this problem or are we in South Africa running into the same problem that will cost Nissan Juke owners lots of money out of their pockets as Nissan don't want to admit their faults?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add another 2013 owner with a broken chain. My gf was driving and the far shut off, confirmed timing chain was broken when I saw the cam lobes stationary through the oil fill cap. The car is out of warranty. She's been making payments on a paper weight that hasn't moved since Oct '17. I'm documenting my engine swap on here in another thread. We sourced one locally with 30k from a later 2013 Juke, just a long block. I have to move everything over to the new engine and repairing other things along the way, 120k mi on the car, I"m finding all sorts of fun worn out parts that everyone will run into at some point. I'm doing this solo, no worries on the task at hand but I feel for anyone else who is royally screwed by this without the means or know-how to perform this swap.
Yes, here i am with a 2013 Juke, just turned 90k Miles, brought it to the dealership to see what the rattle was and low and behold, timing chain. Dealership quoted me 12k, yes, 12 thousand for a new motor. and cannot find a used motor to match with my Juke to do a swap. any advice is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yes, here i am with a 2013 Juke, just turned 90k Miles, brought it to the dealership to see what the rattle was and low and behold, timing chain. Dealership quoted me 12k, yes, 12 thousand for a new motor. and cannot find a used motor to match with my Juke to do a swap. any advice is greatly appreciated
So during the recall campaign did you bring your Juke in to the dealer for servicing?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Bring it to another dealership. Juke engines are very readily available. Sounds like they just don't want to install a used one.

·
Administrator
11,906 Posts
www.car-part.com

·
Registered
251 Posts
My 2013 Juke 1.6T 6MT has started making a buzzing, rattling sound when cold at low RPM. Hear it when starting out from a stop. Not present at idle but closer to 2,000rpm and generally only when cold. Had chain replaced in early 2015 per recall. Am hoping this noise isn't the new chain beginning to fail. Engine otherwise seems to run fine and noise goes away once warmed up.

Also hear a ticking noise at idle. Never noticed it before as I usually have the radio on. Is this normal injector noise? Have had since new, 115,000 miles. Frequent synthetic oil changes.

·
Administrator
11,906 Posts
The Juke motor does have a natural tick. Its the injectors and the HP Fuel pump. That being said. You can have someone sit in the car and run the motor while you listen. If it is coming from the passenger top side then I would worry. Put a long screw driver on the metal near that side in contact with the block. Put the hand end to your ear. You can tell where sounds are coming from. Metal on metal sounds like well metal. Etc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in the UK i have a 2015 model with slapping timing chain ,,, its put out the timing a little and throwing up code p0090,,,, its only done 41000 miles ,,, im currently going through a campaign with nissan uk to get it fixed for frree but dont hold out much hope

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Juke SL
6 Posts
Has anybody in this forum attempted to change the timing chain themselves? I have a 2012 Juke that had the timing chain replaced during the campaign. Several weeks ago my son was driving my juke to work and said it had stalled 3 times on the way to work, I told him I would look at it when he got home. Later that day when I went outside I notice a huge puddle of oil where the juke was sitting. There was no oil leaking from the car prior to that moment! The car was about 12 miles from the Nissan dealership so I drove to his work and put in 3 quarts of oil and had him drive it to the dealership. The dealership said the oil was leaking from the timing chain cover and said it was going to cost $2200 to fix it. I believe the timing chain wore a hole in the cover and all those components need to be replace but they wanted another $1400 to do that. I cant afford to pay that much to have it fixed so I was going to attempt to fix it myself. I have the procedure from Nissan that they issued during the campaign, and I wanted to avoid the learning curve. My Juke has about 120K on it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
11,906 Posts
Has anybody in this forum attempted to change the timing chain themselves? I have a 2012 Juke that had the timing chain replaced during the campaign. Several weeks ago my son was driving my juke to work and said it had stalled 3 times on the way to work, I told him I would look at it when he got home. Later that day when I went outside I notice a huge puddle of oil where the juke was sitting. There was no oil leaking from the car prior to that moment! The car was about 12 miles from the Nissan dealership so I drove to his work and put in 3 quarts of oil and had him drive it to the dealership. The dealership said the oil was leaking from the timing chain cover and said it was going to cost $2200 to fix it. I believe the timing chain wore a hole in the cover and all those components need to be replace but they wanted another $1400 to do that. I cant afford to pay that much to have it fixed so I was going to attempt to fix it myself. I have the procedure from Nissan that they issued during the campaign, and I wanted to avoid the learning curve. My Juke has about 120K on it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Its not easy but it is unbolt and rebolt.

There might be some info here. https://www.youtube.com/c/FRArchive

If not e-mail Fast religion on their website. He might be able to provide some tips.

Reactions: 1richg

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
You will note in the campaign procedure that it is only a 3.6 hour billable for the labor. As yourself if the challenges and potential problems doing the job is better than paying the 3.6 hours labor. You will also need to buy or fabricate the belt tensioner pulley tool. Fast Religion sells them. Nissan does too, but for a lot more.

If they try to charge or quote you more than that, bring that campaign document with you and point it out.

Reactions: 1richg

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Juke SL
6 Posts
You will note in the campaign procedure that it is only a 3.6 hour billable for the labor. As yourself if the challenges and potential problems doing the job is better than paying the 3.6 hours labor. You will also need to buy or fabricate the belt tensioner pulley tool. Fast Religion sells them. Nissan does too, but for a lot more.

If they try to charge or quote you more than that, bring that campaign document with you and point it out.
I already told them it only takes 4 hours to do the job, they tried telling me they needed to pull the engine to do. I told them I have the procedure and it doesn't require pulling the engine but they kept trying to justify there cost. So I had the car towed back to my place where I will do the work. I made my own tensioner pulley tool yesterday at work and only cost me 5 dollars. Thank You for your comments.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I already told them it only takes 4 hours to do the job, they tried telling me they needed to pull the engine to do. I told them I have the procedure and it doesn't require pulling the engine but they kept trying to justify there cost. So I had the car towed back to my place where I will do the work. I made my own tensioner pulley tool yesterday at work and only cost me 5 dollars. Thank You for your comments.
Please take photos and post a thread about how the job went, what was a challenge, etc. Many folks are probably on the fence about trying this themselves and your experience would be helpful.

Are you going to order all of the parts listed in the procedure or do a reduced list?

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Juke SL
6 Posts
Please take photos and post a thread about how the job went, what was a challenge, etc. Many folks are probably on the fence about trying this themselves and your experience would be helpful.

Are you going to order all of the parts listed in the procedure or do a reduced list?
I ordered all of the replacement parts on the list, I made my own special tool but I did not order the engine jacking plates. I figured I could just place a jack under the engine since it is sitting on the floor. I got the parts last week but I think the timing chain I ordered is not the right one.

I will do my best to take pictures and post about any challenges that I have.

821 - 839 of 839 Posts