Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Timing Chain Related Problems - General Poll

• 2011 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No problems yet)

Votes: 69 27.8%
  • 2011 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • 2012 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No problems yet)

Votes: 47 19.0%
  • 2012 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • 2013 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed(No problems yet)

Votes: 60 24.2%
  • 2013 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 2014 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No Problems)

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • 2014 - Timing Chain Related Problems

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2015 - Original Timing Chain (No Problems)

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • 2015 - Timing Chain Related Problems

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
741 - 760 of 824 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unbelievable! They issue this now after my engine broke because of timing chain and I tell them I'm going to start a lawsuit against them and join the class action lawsuit. Little good this bulletin does me now!!!! They won't cover the cost of my engine ($9,000) even though my 2011 Juke only has 28,000 miles on it. How many people have been screwed over by them before they put this out there? Unacceptable!!!
omg this is crazy((

·
Super Moderator
1,828 Posts
Unbelievable! They issue this now after my engine broke because of timing chain...
The timing chain service campaign (it is not a recall as issued by Nissan and NHTSA in the USA) was anounced back in 2013/2014. I do not know if it applies to Jukes outside of North America. Nissan has always been sticklers for service records and if there's evidence of failure to follow the recommended service intervals (I'm not saying you did or didn't do this) then they reserve the right to refuse warranty claims.

Also, if you sign up for the current class action law suit (again, not sure it applies to any non-North American Juke) you may be able to submit your claim and evidence/records supporting your claim and seek reimbursement for expenses incurred due to timing chain failure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi everyone-new to the forum today. I've tried to read through the 729 posts and even used search..but here are my two questions:
My 2014 juke is having its timing chain replaced today. At 5 years and 108k...I've read about the recalls, but 2014's don't seem to be included. But the shop just confirmed, and I just looked at, a very stretched timing chain that was barely staying on the cam sprocket.
Are the 2014's included? last time I called, my VIN didn't show a recall, but the poll says "included" as one category for 2014
Also, how do I answer the poll? it doesn't seem to have a place to respond.
Thanks!
Richard
Mine also had to be repaired for a new chain that was stretch on a 2014 Juke SL manufactured in Japan on Nov.29,2013 and had 106,850 kms, Cost me $2440. out of my pocket. Nissan would not do anything because it wasn't part of the 2011-2013 TSB program to fix it free. I am 100% sure that it had the same chain as the other previous years, but Nissan would not admit to it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 2014's should have the new timing chains on them from the factory.
Not so, my 2014 Juke built on November 29,2013 in Japan, timing chain stretched and was replaced at my cost for $2,440. at dealer. If it was new and improved, why did it also fail like the 2011 to 2013 models?????

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
That's an easy question to answer. Go to a nissan auto parts website. Search for your vehicle and find the part numbers for the timing chain area. Do the same with a 2012 SL in a new browser window. Compare part numbers.

Another component to timing chain 'service campaigns' is because the manufacturing equipment at the factory may have had issues or was not calibrated etc. Nissan is able to track which vehicles were manufactured while the equipment was bad and recall only those VINs. Even if the part numbers are the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine also had to be repaired for a new chain that was stretch on a 2014 Juke SL manufactured in Japan on Nov.29,2013 and had 106,850 kms, Cost me $2440. out of my pocket. Nissan would not do anything because it wasn't part of the 2011-2013 TSB program to fix it free. I am 100% sure that it had the same chain as the other previous years, but Nissan would not admit to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there a number I can call to see if they will fix mine for free. I own a '11 and everything seems to be running smooth but you never know. Thanks to you guys I bought a new balanced chain not much bigger than a bicycle chain. And have been calling around town looking for an engine
rebuilder, most said they work on foreign vehicles. I need a little more insight on this issue please.

·
Super Moderator
1,828 Posts
The service campaign to replace the timing chain in affected model years has expired. You may find a Nissan dealership that will honor it, but the problem is they may not get reimbursed by Nissan for the service work. Your best bet is to call Nissan dealerships in your area and see if they can 1) pull up any history on your Juke and see if the repair was completed and 2) if the repair was never completed, if they will honor the now expired service campaign.

Reactions: Joseph F

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you know of any in or around Michigan it would be worth the drive to get this fixed. I have all the parts, chain, cam, and crank sensors, both guides but not sprockets - they are expensive. Please let me know where there is a friendly Nissan dealership. The one's close to me are pathetic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Juke Timing Chain issue

I have a 2013 Nissan Juke. I've owned it 2.5 years; I've put on 52K of the 82K miles that are on the odometer. I took my Juke in for an oil change and asked my mechanic to investigate rattling noise. Timing chain needs to be replaced $1200-$1500. After investigating I discovered that the original owner had the chain replaced during the "service campaign" and this will be the 3rd(!) timing chain in this car in 82K miles. Discovering the magnitude of the timing chain issue with Nissan, I am going full hog battle with them. They keep trying to shut me down because I'm not in warranty; this has nothing to do with warranty and everything to do with shoddy workmanship on their part. Would love to hear from anyone that has a Juke and timing chain issue. There's already a class action suit for other model cars...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Theres just no way its a hardware issue. Either technicians arent doing it right (as stated thats not really something i believe is likely) or the dealerships arent actually replacing all of the timing related components with new ones. Example: guides, chain tensioner, chain itself. Or. And im not coming at you, its a lack of proper maintenance. Such as: correct oil being used, improper time for vehicle to warm up before hard driving/highway driving, or a combination. Going hard on a cold engine, especially one with a oil pressure checked timing tensioner, can cause incorrect chain tension. Cold and go can also reduce the amount of oil on the guides, which can cause issues with chain components as well. Im just saying. There is just no way its a chain/component issue after the recall. Ive read all the help reports related to that recall, and i havent seen this issue come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's all speculation on your part. Problem is that Nissan used defective not lab tested timing chains of low-quality material and Nissan doesn't want to take the heat for repairing even on 2014 Jukes that were not part of the 2011 to 2013 Juke Cam[aign recall.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Timing chain and tensioner failures are heavily linked to the oil quality, lubrication, and oil pressure. The chains don't stretch, the links and pins wear down and the total play increases. This causes the tensioner to run out of stroke. I ran the revised timing chain back in 2013-2014 from the timing chain replacement campaign, maybe 60k miles on that chain without issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In looking at the chain, I couldn't tell if it had stretched because I didn't have the new one that was installed to compare to. The Nissan Dealer that replaced the chain and two guide rails didn't bother comparing the two chains to examine if stretching was the factor that caused the high rattle. But what I did see is that the two clips on one of the rails was broken off on each side and that may have pushed the plastic to slip down so that the tensioner plunger that pushes onto the guide rail was offset and not doing the job and that is what was causing the rattle. That was my observation. Of course nothing was said by the dealership on what was causing that rattle. Typical.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Interesting. I’ll have to look at the tensioner guide shoe and see if I had any similar issues. This is why I’m replacing everything on my timing chain swap out. I’d think that heat cycles would affect the plastic. Why some owners change timing chains 3 times and others not, who knows. But the main variable is oil, this is why the dealers are asking for oil receipts when the engine fails for warranty work. The chain link design was heavily revised so it’s also partly a design problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting. I’ll have to look at the tensioner guide shoe and see if I had any similar issues. This is why I’m replacing everything on my timing chain swap out. I’d think that heat cycles would affect the plastic. Why some owners change timing chains 3 times and others not, who knows. But the main variable is oil, this is why the dealers are asking for oil receipts when the engine fails for warranty work. The chain link design was heavily revised so it’s also partly a design problem.
I had a 1998 Ford Explorer timing chain go on me because they used a plastic tensioner rail guide instead of the good old rubber type and it destroyed my engine to the tune of needing a new engine for $7,200. and do you think that Ford put out a voluntary recall because many engines were being completely destroyed? NO, THEY DID NOT! THEY WOULDN"T EVEN ADMIT THERE WAS A PROBLEM. And mine went at 161,000 km. So what engineering brains would approve putting a plastic tensioner in an oil environment and not expect it to harden, then break apart? That's what the problem is in all these vehicles. Not the metal chain but the plastic tensioner that wears down on the guide. My sister had the same problem with her 2009 Toyota Matrix that cost her $2,200. out of her pocket due to a plastic tensioner guide breaking down in the oil environment. Still no Recall initiated by Toyota. The Department of Transport in Canada and the NTSA in the USA need someone to die in a traffic mishap before a national Recall forces the Auto manufacturer to do issue a National Recall. Why did they change over from using rubber, like in the last century, to now using plastic is anyone's guess?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I here you. These aren't going to get redesigned, though I've seen the aftermarket address this very issue on the EVO X with a steel guide w/plastic insert piece.

But I looked at mine and aside from some minor chain wear on the plastic guide, it looks good at 80k miles. These absolutely should be replaced at 100k miles if not earlier. I keep coming back to the oil quality, a good clean 100% synthetic engine oil is flowing great on cold startup and producing very low coefficient of friction, while also maintaining a whistle clean oil galley that would feed the chain proper lubrication. I don't see how rubber would survive, the chain is dragging on it. I'll post up pictures of my long chain guide and the small spring loaded tensioner.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I here you. These aren't going to get redesigned, though I've seen the aftermarket address this very issue on the EVO X with a steel guide w/plastic insert piece.

But I looked at mine and aside from some minor chain wear on the plastic guide, it looks good at 80k miles. These absolutely should be replaced at 100k miles if not earlier. I keep coming back to the oil quality, a good clean 100% synthetic engine oil is flowing great on cold startup and producing very low coefficient of friction, while also maintaining a whistle clean oil galley that would feed the chain proper lubrication. I don't see how rubber would survive, the chain is dragging on it. I'll post up pictures of my long-chain guide and the small spring-loaded tensioner.
Or maybe the oil is way to thin in the summer at 0W-20 or 0W-30?. I always liked the 10W-30 that we use to use in the summer and 5W-30 in the winter. I never had a problem with those grades. The best oil I ever used was the Quaker over 120,000-mile oil. Great when your vehicle burns oil. It works to stop burning oil.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I had zero oil consumption on my Juke.
I would not run a thin oil. I know the OEM are going to 0W-20 oils but there is no way in hell I’d run that thin, they mostly do it for fuel economy. I’ll actually be running a Valvoline Racing 10w-30 synthetic oil with high zinc content to protect the custom cams I’m running with the stiffer springs.

Thicker oils can support the bearing loads better if they are thin enough to be pumped into the clearances. A thin oil might not support the chain on the tensioner surface due to the shearing forces the chain can generate. I could see a thinner oil shearing out and landing on the plastic surface and wearing it down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
But if something goes wrong and Nissan sees that you were using synthetic 10W-30 oil, then they would not honour fixing your Juke if a Voluntary Recall campaign was issued by Nissan as in the case of the 2011 to 2013 Voluntary Campaign issued for Sept 22, 2014 to October 30, 2015 service Bulletin. And what do you think about that Nissan Recall? Do you think Nissan made an error by not including the Jukes that were made prior to the defect discovery made on May 5th,2014, especially the ones that were made in the last quarter of 2013 but were termed as 2014YM (year model)? Today, those vehicles are still having major rattling problems and Nissan will not take responsibility in fixing them because they are deemed as 2014 models which were not included in the Recall. I see it as Nissan made a big mistake in doing that and someone should start a class action suit to compensate the owners for having to fork out money for repairs!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Joseph F... you joined this forum 20 days ago and are bringing quite a strong opinion about what you 'think' nissan did and how they handled it. This topic has been discussed over and over since BEFORE the service campaigns even existed (forum members discussing their timing chains and wear and experiences). There are many active members here (myself included) who have seen every post on this topic in real time over the years.

I'll flat out tell you that your opinion is incorrect. There are reasons that Nissan issued the original campaign for 11-13. There are reasons why they DID NOT do it for later vehicles. It all boils down to machinery & materials used for specific runs of production. The actual lot numbers and machinery runs/calibrations are unknown to the consumer, so there is no way to get actual details of what 'went wrong' and warranted a campaign. But it is not fair to ride in and preach fire and brimstone on a topic based on your opinion when there is literally years of facts, knowledge, and experiences on the subject.

The first hard indicator that your opinion is nonsense is because there actually IS a class action suit for later models regarding the timing chain. You haven't even educated yourself with that knowledge.

The second hard indicator is that members HAVE had their timing chains repaired under warranty and under different circumstances. The Juke is not required to use synthetic oil and therefore Nissan cannot deny a warranty on that basis alone.

So please, before you continue to spread misinformation and damage your reputation here further, maybe do a little bit of research on the topic through forum history and elsewhere on the internet or perhaps reconsider sharing your misinformed opinions in the future altogether.

741 - 760 of 824 Posts