Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Timing Chain Related Problems - General Poll

• 2011 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No problems yet)

Votes: 69 27.8%
  • 2011 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • 2012 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No problems yet)

Votes: 47 19.0%
  • 2012 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • 2013 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed(No problems yet)

Votes: 60 24.2%
  • 2013 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 2014 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No Problems)

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • 2014 - Timing Chain Related Problems

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2015 - Original Timing Chain (No Problems)

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • 2015 - Timing Chain Related Problems

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
721 - 740 of 824 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
She also stated that her son had owned it for over 4 years without problem. Personally, I think it's just happenstance. If you got 4 years out of it, then the problem most likely is not related to the last time the timing service was completed.

Buying used is always a gamble. You could get 6 weeks or 6 years... you never know. The same is true when buying new, but you get that warm fuzzy warranty that comes with a new car to lessen your concerns.

I bought my 2012 when it was new on the lot. I had the timing recall completed. My juke is modified and tuned and has had no problems. I've only ever needed wear & tear maintenance (tires, balancing, alignments, new battery, etc.) The recall for the 2011/2012 MY only applied to certain vehicles, based on the VIN, not all of them. Just because a juke is a 2011 or 2012 does not mean that it required the recall. The campaign in 2016 did not include 2011/2012 models as well, it was an entire different set of circumstances for different MY jukes. The previously completed timing replacements on your son's vehicle would have no impact on whether he needed the 2016 service.

Also, it wasn't a recall, it was a 'voluntary service campaign'.

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
Good points for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
She also stated that her son had owned it for over 4 years without problem. Personally, I think it's just happenstance. If you got 4 years out of it, then the problem most likely is not related to the last time the timing service was completed.

Buying used is always a gamble. You could get 6 weeks or 6 years... you never know. The same is true when buying new, but you get that warm fuzzy warranty that comes with a new car to lessen your concerns.

I bought my 2012 when it was new on the lot. I had the timing recall completed. My juke is modified and tuned and has had no problems. I've only ever needed wear & tear maintenance (tires, balancing, alignments, new battery, etc.) The recall for the 2011/2012 MY only applied to certain vehicles, based on the VIN, not all of them. Just because a juke is a 2011 or 2012 does not mean that it required the recall. The campaign in 2016 did not include 2011/2012 models as well, it was an entire different set of circumstances for different MY jukes. The previously completed timing replacements on your son's vehicle would have no impact on whether he needed the 2016 service.

Also, it wasn't a recall, it was a 'voluntary service campaign'.
My son owned it for 3 years and 9 months. He put 33,000 miles on it in that time. This kid pretty much drives to work and home, then the grocery store. He has records of his regular oil changes. I have never heard of cold starting a car cutting the life of the timing chain down to 33,000 miles, but I don't know how long he lets it run before driving. The chain broke in July, however. I am aware of the differences in the campaigns. We discovered his vehicle was part of the first campaign when the dealer showed us that two chains had been installed previously in 2015 - the second 5 months after the first. They also suggested if he didn't receive notice of the 2016 campaign, his VIN may not have been included because it was recorded as having already been taken care of in 2015, twice. I really don't know how that works, but I know that the TSB for 2016 was similar to 2015 but extended to include engine damage as a result of the timing chain failing. Even if we did invest in the parts to repair the vehicle ourselves, everyone who has seen the vehicle's service history has said to get rid of it quickly cause it's a ticking time bomb, so it is an expensive loss no matter what we do. I'm not saying the Juke is not a great vehicle. I am saying that this particular one (among many others who have posted on here) has been plagued with timing chain issues. The dealer the first owner traded it in to was the one who sent it back to the Nissan dealer to have the timing chain components changed again before they sold it to Mike. If you look at the survey at the top of this thread, you have 107 responses from 2011 owners. Of those, 69 have not had a problem and 38 have had issues with the timing chains. That is 36%!

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
Problems and people posting are usually not an accurate representation of actual data as people coming here usually have an issue. Why are you here? If you could see the 36% users here and how many actual posts they totaled. You could very well make that case. Also people will say "Related" in the survey since they had to get the chain serviced because of the campaign. People often dont read.

FastReligion is a former Nissan Tech. If he says the chains are good. They are good. I would say something is up with the dealership that replaced them. For a chain to go bad so soon is just unheard of. I will state it again.......

Something doesn't add up. As Spock says....... " Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Dealer/mechanic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agreed. Something doesn't add up. The 2 previous campaign replacements (both in 2015) were each done by different dealerships. Also, if the parts were quality to begin with, there wouldn't have been two separate campaigns on them to begin with. And Nissan just settled a class action lawsuit in two states a couple of years ago to compensate owners for defective chains in almost ALL of their models (except the Juke) that they allegedly knew about and failed to remedy. That makes it hard for me to eliminate the chain itself as "the impossible" (but I appreciate the Spock reference - even though Sherlock Holmes said it first!)

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/827701-nissan-agrees-settle-timing-chain-defect-class-action-lawsuit/

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I never even participated in the survey because it didn't seem like a very valid or informative poll. Using the poll info:
  • 2011 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No problems yet)
    Votes: 69 29.9%
  • 2011 - Timing Chain Related Problem
    Votes: 38 16.5%
These are exclusive to each other, but as Mac mentioned, we cannot quantify if the second set of data indicates an actual problem that was covered under warranty, or if it means that the recall was required but not applied at the time of the voter's submission. It also leaves out a number of categories, such as:
2011 - Original Timing Chain/no recall performed, no problems
2011 - Original timing chain/recall performed, WITH problems
2011 - Original Timing Chain/no recall performed WITH problems

The second category does not accurately quantify all of those scenarios, so who knows what the voter's situation was.

And Mac is correct, the internet is filled with a much higher percent of complaints vs endorsements. It's never a reliable comparison.

Timing chain campaigns only apply to the first repair, when applicable. If the VIN of a vehicle identifies it as requiring the service, then the service is completed. If I remember correctly, the 2011/2012 campaign addresses problems with the tensioner. Once that is fixed, if it breaks after, that doesn't mean the campaign needs to be completed again, as the procedure has been completed. If it breaks, then it's just plain repaired with the updated parts and it's either covered under warranty or someone pays out of pocket for it. If it breaks again, same situation applies. But after the first service campaign is completed, it doesn't get completed twice. When the service campaign for 2015 or 2016 was issued, it would NOT have included any vehicles that had already been included with the previous 2011/12 campaign. What happened is that Nissan determined that their original listing of VINs (based on manufacture date and location) did not include ALL of the vehicles affected by the original campaign. So they EXPANDED the list of VINS to include additional vehicles eligible for the campaign. So no VIN would be included on BOTH lists.

When the campaign service is completed on a vehicle, it extends the warranty per the details in the campaign. An vehicles that may have already broken and been repaired then identified as eligible for the campaign... for the simplest example, if it's the same owner and they originally paid out of pocket, then Nissan went back and reimbursed them for the original repair IF that owner did made a claim. I was an owner and forum member through all of this from 2012 on, so I actually remember all the different scenarios and stories that happened here in real time. IMO, Nissan was very fair with how these campaigns were handled and any oddball scenarios were handled in a fair situation as well.

In the end, I'm sorry to hear about an owner of anything/any vehicle/any juke that gets stuck in a bad situation like this. But I don't think that once everything is added up in your situation that you have a clear cut target to point at. Your son had a running vehicle with no problems for 3 years 9 months and things just happen sometimes. It's unfortunate that you weren't aware of the vehicles history at purchase. Most of us have had some bad history with a car (or multiple) and have had to eat some money and learn from it. I hate to say that, but I don't think much else applies to your son's current situation.

Best of luck to you both!

Edit: Even if you could point a finger at a target, all the parts and labor etc. are well beyond any claim for warranty. No mechanic/tech will ever be responsible for a non-warranty repair for much longer than 30-90 days, maybe a year if it's something major like an engine or something, but even then usually only parts are warrantied, not labor.
3+ years later?

Edit 2: The class action lawsuit link does not include the Juke.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
Agreed. Something doesn't add up. The 2 previous campaign replacements (both in 2015) were each done by different dealerships. Also, if the parts were quality to begin with, there wouldn't have been two separate campaigns on them to begin with. And Nissan just settled a class action lawsuit in two states a couple of years ago to compensate owners for defective chains in almost ALL of their models (except the Juke) that they allegedly knew about and failed to remedy. That makes it hard for me to eliminate the chain itself as "the impossible" (but I appreciate the Spock reference - even though Sherlock Holmes said it first!)

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/827701-nissan-agrees-settle-timing-chain-defect-class-action-lawsuit/
LOL now I never knew that. I thought it was a Trek thing. Tho I do remember seeing it in the newer Holmes movies.

@Bargeld

I think the campaign was for a run of out of spec / bad chains that were installed on the Japanese engine Jukes. The chains stretched and the tensioner ran out of travel. That's why the Euro Jukes never had the campaign.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
To be honest, I'm not sure what the reason was for the later campaign. I just remember that they were mutually exclusive and a single VIN couldn't be included in both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone-new to the forum today. I've tried to read through the 729 posts and even used search..but here are my two questions:
My 2014 juke is having its timing chain replaced today. At 5 years and 108k...I've read about the recalls, but 2014's don't seem to be included. But the shop just confirmed, and I just looked at, a very stretched timing chain that was barely staying on the cam sprocket.
Are the 2014's included? last time I called, my VIN didn't show a recall, but the poll says "included" as one category for 2014
Also, how do I answer the poll? it doesn't seem to have a place to respond.
Thanks!
Richard

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
3 posts up, I provided links to lookup anything that applies to your Juke using the VIN.

The poll options aren't very comprehensive and/or accurately represent the timing chain issues across all years. Don't use it as a reference, it's only there for entertainment value.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Juke Timing Chain issue

I have a 2013 Nissan Juke. I've owned it 2.5 years; I've put on 52K of the 82K miles that are on the odometer. I took my Juke in for an oil change and asked my mechanic to investigate rattling noise. Timing chain needs to be replaced $1200-$1500. After investigating I discovered that the original owner had the chain replaced during the "service campaign" and this will be the 3rd(!) timing chain in this car in 82K miles. Discovering the magnitude of the timing chain issue with Nissan, I am going full hog battle with them. They keep trying to shut me down because I'm not in warranty; this has nothing to do with warranty and everything to do with shoddy workmanship on their part. Would love to hear from anyone that has a Juke and timing chain issue. There's already a class action suit for other model cars...
JUST had mine break yesterday! A noise coming from the passenger side of the engine didn’t immediately ping any search results like “This could be your timing chain breaking!” So I went about my merry way doing what I could to keep the car running with little to no mechanic experience... it then broke while I was going 60mph down a highway!

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
JUST had mine break yesterday! A noise coming from the passenger side of the engine didn’t immediately ping any search results like “This could be your timing chain breaking!” So I went about my merry way doing what I could to keep the car running with little to no mechanic experience... it then broke while I was going 60mph down a highway!
What year etc Juke. Specifics would be nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi.

I have a 2011 1.6digt tekna manual
It started making this weird ticking knocking noise. When its really cold outside the noise is gone but as it warms it comes back. Warmer weather the noise is very loud and is lighter when car is at peak temp

I had a oil low warning and topped up with 5w40 oil. Drove and the noise started. Thought oil was still low so i checked it and it wasn't full so i topped up with 5w30. I know mixing oils. Now noise is louder. Is it the oil? Or could it be timing chain or tensioner? Should i try a 15w40 oil instead?
Sound clip added. Engine rpm at 2000 on cold start. Outside temp was 25c. Warmer days its 30 - 38c

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
Use oil that is recommended by Nissan. If your oil was that low. I would get the oil changed.

That sound sounds like a valve or two is making noise. Hard to tell.

As far as the recall. This effected only North American Jukes. Not European Jukes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Use oil that is recommended by Nissan. If your oil was that low. I would get the oil changed.

That sound sounds like a valve or two is making noise. Hard to tell.

As far as the recall. This effected only North American Jukes. Not European Jukes.
Sound is coming from right side of engine. Will try and get a video

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unbelievable! They issue this now after my engine broke because of timing chain and I tell them I'm going to start a lawsuit against them and join the class action lawsuit. Little good this bulletin does me now!!!! They won't cover the cost of my engine ($9,000) even though my 2011 Juke only has 28,000 miles on it. How many people have been screwed over by them before they put this out there? Unacceptable!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guess what.

I just got my Nissan Juke back from the dealer. My timing chain broke as I was driving down the highway. Total engine failure. They covered it but gave me a hard time about not having maintenance records. They said the oil was "sludgy" and basically blamed me for it. I changed the oil and filter on last October, about 3000 miles ago. I just looked at the oil before a trip over holidays and it looked clean to me... was planning to change the oil that week actually - I guess an engine replacement works.

They put in Mobile One oil - non synthetic. They said something about a filter with a valve? I have no idea what they are talking about but I guess I'm stuck going to the dealer for my maintenance from now on.

I am not out of any money, but man I had a really stressful couple of days there when I thought they wouldn't fix it because I couldn't prove I changed the oil.

I think this is a serious mechanical issue personally...
So sorry for you, this is so unpleasant.

721 - 740 of 824 Posts