Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Timing Chain Related Problems - General Poll

• 2011 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No problems yet)

Votes: 69 29.2%
  • 2011 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • 2012 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No problems yet)

Votes: 46 19.5%
  • 2012 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • 2013 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed(No problems yet)

Votes: 58 24.6%
  • 2013 - Timing Chain Related Problem

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 2014 - Original Timing Chain/Recall Performed (No Problems)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2014 - Timing Chain Related Problems

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2015 - Original Timing Chain (No Problems)

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • 2015 - Timing Chain Related Problems

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 733 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Warranty is 5/60K... you could have bought a Security Plus warranty from the dealer if you knew you were going to drive 35k+ miles a year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I recently had a timing chain break which the dealership is telling me that it damaged the engine to the point that it has to be replaced. This juke is only 2 years old and has 75000 miles. I got a call from the affairs dept and they say that they will pay for the engine but want me to pay for the labor. I dont feel I should have to pay for any of it I have kept maint up on it and feel that with them saying it is the engine that they should pay for the whole thing. Has anyone had this problem and do you have any advice? This is my first nissan and at this point if things keep gong this way It will be my last.

I have talked to several of my friends who are mechanics and they are all shocked a timing chain broke. I was told that when it broke it did some damage to the engine I am guessing to the valves or pistons. Also talking so several friends they say most powertrain are under warrianty for 100000 miles. I am starting to think that there are some issues with the engine. I am thinking that this will be the first and last Nissan I will ever own.

·
Super Moderator
6,354 Posts
I recently had a timing chain break which the dealership is telling me that it damaged the engine to the point that it has to be replaced. This juke is only 2 years old and has 75000 miles. I got a call from the affairs dept and they say that they will pay for the engine but want me to pay for the labor. I dont feel I should have to pay for any of it I have kept maint up on it and feel that with them saying it is the engine that they should pay for the whole thing. Has anyone had this problem and do you have any advice? This is my first nissan and at this point if things keep gong this way It will be my last.
Wow....2 years old and 75000 miles. That tapped out your Basic and Drivetrain warranty pretty quick.
With that many miles in 2 years, I've heard of other dealers doing the same thing. They seem like they are offering a good faith gesture and don't really have to pay for the engine. They could easily make you pay for the whole thing thus ending your faith in Nissan.

IMO and with a rare timing chain breakage and up to date maintenance records.....Nissan should pay for the whole thing.
Good luck with the power of persuasion and please keep us all updated.

+1 on what i8acobra said about the Security Plus warranty...because that would require more than "Severe" service maintenance intervals.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Also talking so several friends they say most powertrain are under warrianty for 100000 miles.
I work for a Nissan dealer. Your powertrain warranty is 60k miles. Nissan is already going above and beyond by paying for the parts. They have every right to say they're not paying for anything.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Most other places toyota, chevy, ford do a power train for 100000 miles. If nissan makes products that only last for 60000 miles This will be the first and last nissan I will ever buy. I have had other cars that I have driven for over 200000 miles without ever having to replace a part. Since my job requires me to drive to different places of course my mileage is going be seem higher to yall who only drive maybe 50 miles a day.
Dude, no offense, but I've owned Nissans for over 20 years, and have NEVER had any of the problems that you're claiming to have. Not saying you're lying, but I think you're not being rational right now. Nissan does NOT have to pay for a penny of your engine or labor since you're over your warranty. However, they're doing YOU a favor by paying for the engine.

Another thing, I highly doubt you have had a car that is over 200,000 miles and you've NEVER had to replace a part. I know for a fact that's not true unless you're a perfect driver or you have an invincible car.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guess what.

I just got my Nissan Juke back from the dealer. My timing chain broke as I was driving down the highway. Total engine failure. They covered it but gave me a hard time about not having maintenance records. They said the oil was "sludgy" and basically blamed me for it. I changed the oil and filter on last October, about 3000 miles ago. I just looked at the oil before a trip over holidays and it looked clean to me... was planning to change the oil that week actually - I guess an engine replacement works.

They put in Mobile One oil - non synthetic. They said something about a filter with a valve? I have no idea what they are talking about but I guess I'm stuck going to the dealer for my maintenance from now on.

I am not out of any money, but man I had a really stressful couple of days there when I thought they wouldn't fix it because I couldn't prove I changed the oil.

I think this is a serious mechanical issue personally...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well this is the first time I have posted on this forum in hopes to get some information. While some people have been helpful it seems that some one here find it hard to believe that Nissan can mess up. I think that there are some issues with this product after a certain amount of mileage. After reading some of the posts on here I plan to talk to there reps again and suggest that they look into this issue.

Whether you believe me or not you are not the ones sitting with your car in the shop saying you that you need a new engine after 2 years. even if you had 200000 miles on it I dont think you should have to replace an engine. I can see gaskets, pumps, etc. But I have never heard of having to replace an entire engine under 100000 miles. just my two cents.

Those that have helped me during this time thank you. The rest of you have a cupcake and a great day..

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Its not that it's hard to believe Nissan has messed up....Now those of us that have been on this forum for the past few years we have seen our share of recalls and shared problems...So that's not what is causing some pause for some of us...

But what makes this instance extraordinarily interesting to me is that up until about a week ago absolutely no one has ever reported having a timing chain brake and now all of a sudden we're hearing 4 different new members to the forum post similar reports in about a weeks time frame...its very interesting to say the least...

·
Registered
680 Posts
You sir may want to take out an extended warranty. I'm averaging about 12k miles / year, so no worries. Bought close to work, so it takes me more time to get to the building once I'm on the site than it does to get from my house to the front entrance. Would bike or run if there were actually shoulders or bike lanes on the road to my house.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For those of you who had your timing chain fail. Were they any indications that something was going wrong? Like noise or sounds, mis-fire, smoke, etc. And if there was, did if happen for seconds, minutes, days, or weeks before the breakage? Or was just instant failure?

·
Registered
6 Posts
All, I don't mean to say anything out of line.. however, I am a new member and have a similar issue if not the exact same thing. My 2011 Juke is currently at the local dealer now, about to have the engine replaced because of some terrible noise that went up in frequency the higher the RPMs got. The noise started about 1 week before I took it into the dealer to have a diagnostic ran. After that was done, they'd told me about 2 parts needing replaced; however, when I took it into get these parts replaced their lead mechanic said it was a different issue then I was told and that my engine would need replaced. I came here to do 'research' but found out that joining and posting would benefit me more. I'd appreciate any assistance thrown my way, so please feel free to ask me anything and I'll answer to the best of my abilities. My main issue is that they are telling me that if I cannot produce records of all oil changes, even though I have 34600mi and have owned for 2 1/2 years, I'll be responsible for the cost of the engine and labor. You can see I've made a few posts about this, but I'm trying to calm down and think a bit more before ranting.

Thank you in advance to anyone who assists me...
~Dayv

·
Registered
37 Posts
where I work, my buddy whos a Journeyman at our Nissan dealership( and this is in the US , in reference to the previous post) has told me theyve done a few timing chain failures/engine warranties on Jukes. Hes also told me to make sure premium gas only and oil changes ON time on these as he noticed a few juke engines he took apart had severe build up on the cylinder heads and these had low to moderate mileage (10k and up) . Makes me ponder a oil catch can install(not trying to go off-topic) . Regardless , I still love my Juke

·
Registered
22 Posts
Timing Chain Issues Thread

I have a 2011 Juke AWD. I another post I mentioned about a strange "tic" kind of sound. So I called the Nissan dealer, said I wanted a oil change, swap the snows off, and the major, I'm at 96,000 km. Then I mention about the "tic"........dead air on the other side. Then they say bring it in, and I do today. The Tech comes out, takes a look and listen, and we go around the block. Go back to the shop, and ten minutes later the Service guy comes out says "I hope you've had all your oil changes". And nothing more than 6000 km between changes. So I'm screwed. $1600+ at the least, and up, up from there. My extended warranty to 120k is void, because I neglected to get some card signed over from my brother when I bought it from him last year. Soooo, Nissan will happily use any gap, to side step known defects of their products.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's more than a "tic". From the passenger side of the motor, revving anywhere between 1500 ~ 2500rpm, car moving or at a stand still, it sounds like, like, aaaa......like, a chain rubbing, yes, it sounds like a chain rubbing. Along with all the other sounds, dash area, rear cargo, sun visor, a splashing water sound when it's raining coming from the wind-shied passenger side at highway speed. Yes, quite the symphony.

I've worked on many cars, swapped and modded motors. But in Nissan's view, my chain grew because of dirty oil. Interesting physics, with endless applications.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update.

Looks like Nissan is going to do the timing chain under my existing base warranty. Then activate my extended warranty. I'll pay for my normal major service period.

As a FYI, I'm the third Juke at my small town Nissan Dealer. I have a 2011 with 96,00km. The second is a 2012 with 40,000km; the third I have no info on. And another from the first dealer I went to yesterday. That's four from the bush of central Ontario.

I should add, not all Nissan dealers are created equal. I've seen one of the best this week (Orangeville), and one of the worst I'll never see again (Barrie). Nissan Canada also gets two thumbs up, not for intervening, but for understanding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nissan called today.
The parts are on back-order, should be in by April 16 (12days). They also said I can pick my Juke up and continue to drive it till they're ready for it.

Here's a quick video of the running motor at idle. Don't really hear the chain, or should I say can't hear the chain. Can only hear it from 1500 to 2500rpm.:
Nissan Juke Engine tic tic - YouTube

·
Registered
22 Posts
Picked up the car today. They did major service and replaced my wind-shied. Said I'll get a call on the 19th (I thought it was the 16th, my mistake) to setup the the date to do the chain. As a precaution, I did ask if they'll warranty the motor if the chain lets go and makes little hockey sticks out of my valves while I use the car in its current condition; and they said they would.

I hope the new chain has been updated to resolve the stretch. Like type of steel, thickness, heat treat, temper, etc. Pointless to keep the car if the chain has the same specs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine died

I bought my 2011 juke in November 2010 and my engine deceased on Christmas Eve 2012 I only had 37,000 miles and I had already brought it in for 5 separate recalls. I was never really given an epclanation of why it died, but for several months I had a tapping noise in the engine but I was told repeatedly that it was in need of an oil top up. Since that day I have never felt 100 % secure in my juke which for the first year I loved!!! I'm on the fence about trading it in, I have had a maxima and sentry prior to this car and never had any issues with the other cars. I feel now like the engines sounds like its revved up too high since I got it back with the new engine but I don't have the time to keep bringing it in. Also I did not lay one dime for the engine replacement or anything else you shouldn't have to pay, if they agree that replacing the engine was not your fault it's their responsibility.

1 - 20 of 733 Posts