Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to get a roof cargo box to hold luggage for road trips and snowboards in the winter. I have decided to go the removable route for the roof racks, and will buy/install the Yakima Baseline system (BaseLine System) with JetStream bars. I'm interested in getting the Thule Motion XT L box (Thule Motion XT) to go with the rack.

I have been doing some research and the Yakima FitLookup website (Yakima Infolookup) says the front crossbar to hatch distance is 45". According to this chart (https://www.rackoutfitters.com/content/hatch-clearance-cargo-box-thule-2018.pdf), the Thule Motion XT L's front clearance is 47.5".

Has anyone installed a Thule Motion XT L cargo box on their Juke, and are you able to:
1. Open the hatch completely?
2. Open the hatch slightly?
3. Cannot open the hatch?

Appreciate any insights!

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
I have not fit either, but the EPA did tests a few years ago on roof-mounted cargo boxes and and found that even the most streamlined ones created a lot of drag and significantly reduced fuel economy. In comparison, even a rectangular rear mounted cargo box had negligible impact, as it rides in the slipstream, rather than adding frontal area. In addition, a rear mounted box is easier to access and does not raise the center of gravity. You may want to look into a hitch and rear-mounted cargo box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not fit either, but the EPA did tests a few years ago on roof-mounted cargo boxes and and found that even the most streamlined ones created a lot of drag and significantly reduced fuel economy. In comparison, even a rectangular rear mounted cargo box had negligible impact, as it rides in the slipstream, rather than adding frontal area. In addition, a rear mounted box is easier to access and does not raise the center of gravity. You may want to look into a hitch and rear-mounted cargo box.
Thanks, looks like a great alternative, something to look into!

In the meantime, still would love some feedback from a member who has installed roof racks and the Thule Motion XT L.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts