Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Looking forward to using ideas and possibly provide some of my own. Just acquired a 2012 SV AWD that's needs a little tlc since the driver before me has ran it pretty hard. First things first gots ta get some new shoes. I'll take opinions on this but I live where the trails are plenty so I was looking to get a bit of rise (without mods for now), so I'm thinking 215/65-17 all around? Next shocks are toast so those got to go, I'm not gonna be bajaing just smooth trail rides. Would a replace of oem be fine for that or would you trail runners recommend something else? Last but probably most importantly, I have went through several posts on here of your builds and all I can say is wow.

Thanks for sharing your ideas to everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Before all else the first thing you should do is a CVT fluid drain and fill especially if you know the previous owner drove it hard. If you go to a 215/65/17 tire over the stock 215/55/17 than that is a difference in diameter of 6.5% so that will throw off both your speedometer and odometer normally for daily drivers it is not recommended to have more than a +/-3% difference.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Before all else the first thing you should do is a CVT fluid drain and fill especially if you know the previous owner drove it hard. If you go to a 215/65/17 tire over the stock 215/55/17 than that is a difference in diameter of 6.5% so that will throw off both your speedometer and odometer normally for daily drivers it is not recommended to have more than a +/-3% difference.
This. Change your fluid now. Preferably twice, a couple hundred miles apart.

Reactions: Krono_0

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, for the suggestion, and yes I had already planned to do so. I've been cleaning the hell out of it yesterday and today and each time I come back to it I find something else. The damn exhaust is about 3" away from hitting the ground, I have probably 12 pretty good chips in the windshield, brakes are pretty well gone, oil needs changed for sure, filters are done, and now she's smoking. I've got a lot of work to do.... Starting with the basics I guess, plugs, filters, fluids etc.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey all,

Looking forward to using ideas and possibly provide some of my own. Just acquired a 2012 SV AWD that's needs a little tlc since the driver before me has ran it pretty hard. First things first gots ta get some new shoes. I'll take opinions on this but I live where the trails are plenty so I was looking to get a bit of rise (without mods for now), so I'm thinking 215/65-17 all around? Next shocks are toast so those got to go, I'm not gonna be bajaing just smooth trail rides. Would a replace of oem be fine for that or would you trail runners recommend something else? Last but probably most importantly, I have went through several posts on here of your builds and all I can say is wow.

Thanks for sharing your ideas to everyone.
It depends a little bit on tire availability and how aggressive a tire you want, more A/Ts are going to be in a 65 sidewall, so 215/65 would have a lot of options, I know Cooper makes an A/T in 235/60r17 which is the same diameter but almost an inch wider, and in addition to getting a better contact patch offroad, just overall has a nicer look and fills out those wheel wells better.

I can tell you OEM shocks are going to be much more comfortable than any coilover kit, but just as good would be a set of Bilstein replacement shocks, which should have an OEM quality feel and from some other people on here who have installed them, report that they ride a tiny bit higher than stock, which is a little right-out-of-the-box bonus for offroading.
I would say if you are going through the trouble of installing new struts I would also go ahead and get a Tema4x4 lift kit installed at the same time, since they are just a spacer that sits on top of the strut, and the kit itself is pretty inexpensive, I think around $150.

Mine's a 2012 too and just crossed over 100K, and I've been putting off tackling the spark plugs and replacing a failing valve cover gasket lol. I would say if it's smoking you might want to check around your engine block and see if there's a buildup of oil on it anywhere, which is a sign you might need your valve cover gasket replaced as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It depends a little bit on tire availability and how aggressive a tire you want, more A/Ts are going to be in a 65 sidewall, so 215/65 would have a lot of options, I know Cooper makes an A/T in 235/60r17 which is the same diameter but almost an inch wider, and in addition to getting a better contact patch offroad, just overall has a nicer look and fills out those wheel wells better.

I can tell you OEM shocks are going to be much more comfortable than any coilover kit, but just as good would be a set of Bilstein replacement shocks, which should have an OEM quality feel and from some other people on here who have installed them, report that they ride a tiny bit higher than stock, which is a little right-out-of-the-box bonus for offroading.
I would say if you are going through the trouble of installing new struts I would also go ahead and get a Tema4x4 lift kit installed at the same time, since they are just a spacer that sits on top of the strut, and the kit itself is pretty inexpensive, I think around $150.

Mine's a 2012 too and just crossed over 100K, and I've been putting off tackling the spark plugs and replacing a failing valve cover gasket lol. I would say if it's smoking you might want to check around your engine block and see if there's a buildup of oil on it anywhere, which is a sign you might need your valve cover gasket replaced as well.
Thanks for the info Jaxxa, I'm dead tired today so I'll take a better peek under the hood tomorrow. Are there any specific sites (for any and all recommended parts) and or recommended Bilstein packages? I'm seeing the B4 B12 etc.. I know for the Tema most have just said to do a Google search and grab from eBay, but once again any particular seller?

I looked at the Coopers and like them. I am weighing my options now. I'll post up my decision after I get done arguing with myself.

I'll also keep up with what I find on the smoking situation. I have some of the basics ordered from good ole Autozone and will pick them up tomorrow. As of now I'm going to bed.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I never bought the Bilsteins myself, but I'm sure if you search for bilstein here on the forum there's at least one or two more detailed posts from people who got them. I got the Tema4x4 kit a loooong time ago on eBay, I'm pretty sure the seller is just "Tema4x4", though I believe I've also seen them for sale on Amazon too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update, smoking is good now. Replaced plugs, filters, changed oil, and the valve cover gasket just to be sure. Not sure which was the fix but decided it was best to go the distance with it.

Got her up on a lift to see the exhaust and had to replace the mount there. It is no longer basically sitting on the ground, yay.

After much discussion with myself and arguing I have decided for now I'll roll with 215/65r17s. I'm going to go grab a set of used ones for now to test with (rubbing/scrubbing), but if I like how they feel I'll be using these bad boys, TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T III TIRE. (Will post up when I get them on).

I got the Tema4x4 lift ordered, and on its way. Now all I need to do is get the means to fix the suspension. I posted up in the "Suspension and Brakes" forums about 2 different brands SenSen and Unity to see if anyone has used them or even heard of them. Unfortunately the Bilsteins are out of my price range for now. If I can't find or get a good answer on the other two I'll probably try and piece it together with the Bilsteins over time. Replace absorbers first and so on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just an update, smoking is good now. Replaced plugs, filters, changed oil, and the valve cover gasket just to be sure. Not sure which was the fix but decided it was best to go the distance with it.

Got her up on a lift to see the exhaust and had to replace the mount there. It is no longer basically sitting on the ground, yay.

After much discussion with myself and arguing I have decided for now I'll roll with 215/65r17s. I'm going to go grab a set of used ones for now to test with (rubbing/scrubbing), but if I like how they feel I'll be using these bad boys, TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T III TIRE. (Will post up when I get them on).

I got the Tema4x4 lift ordered, and on its way. Now all I need to do is get the means to fix the suspension. I posted up in the "Suspension and Brakes" forums about 2 different brands SenSen and Unity to see if anyone has used them or even heard of them. Unfortunately the Bilsteins are out of my price range for now. If I can't find or get a good answer on the other two I'll probably try and piece it together with the Bilsteins over time. Replace absorbers first and so on.
I just posted some pics of the Toyo's on my Juke in the aftermarket wheels / tires thread Show Off your AfterMarket Wheels/tires Thread, but I used 225/60R17s (wider tread, slightly smaller inflated diameter).

It's tight. Depending on if your panels are aligned, how much was worn off the tires you bought, and the offset of your wheels you may have a slight rub. Hit a deer on my passenger side front and it caused the inner fender liner to crease. That along with brand new square shoulder tires on wheels with a 5mm pushed out offset (+40) cause them to just rub on the front right. Only at about mid way (50% of either full lock position). Best of luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts