Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Juke SL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, and thank you for this very useful forum.

I bought the car last February and back in early July of this year the car would not start. Had to jump it off. Took the car to my local dealership since the battery was still under warranty and they replaced it with a new Nissan battery. Everything seemed fine after that.

Here I am 4 months later and my car would not start again. Interior lights come on, but it seemed like the battery just didn't have enough to turn the engine over. Jumped it off again and went to work. It's about a 30 minute drive, so I figured that should be enough to have the alternator charge it back up. Once I got to work, I turned off the car and waited a few seconds to try to start it up again. Started up fine. I then pushed the drive mode button to look at the battery indicator and it showed full bars. I believe this indicator shows how much the alternator is pulling to run the electronics in the car but I don't know for sure. After work (about 9 hours later) I tried to start the car again to go home. It started fine. About 2 hours later my brother asked to use the car and came back saying it wouldn't start again... weird. So we had to jump it off again. I've had to jump the car off every day this week. Usually only takes about 3 minutes with the cars connected to get the Juke engine to crank up. I plan to get a new battery as soon as possible.

After reading on these forums this week, I think I may have something that is draining the battery while the car is off.

-2013 Juke SL
-Second owner
-This battery is only 4 months old
-I have no extra stuff plugged into the car pulling electricity.
-It jumps off fine every time
-It cranks fine after sitting in the parking lot for 8 hours at work, but for some reason wont start after I get home after 2 hours or so
-It runs fine once jumped off in the morning
-Brake lights come on when I push on the pedal, so I don't think it's the switches on the brake pedal

I'm going to take it to AutoZone to have the battery and alternator tested but I feel like the battery shouldn't be going dead already. I just replaced it. I'm going to try to pull the fuses on by one to see if there is any parasitic drain.

Do you guys have any other advice? I love this car but I'm beginning to get worried about the battery problems. I hope it's not the alternator because it looks really hard to get to and replace.

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
I've had very similar situations to you. Just a heads up, going to AutoZone they will probably say the battery is dead and the alternator is not working correctly. As Swift said, it's a "smart" alternator. Always get an OEM replacement.

One thing I have been doing lately is when I go to shut the car off from running, I leave my foot OFF the brake pedal. I recently saw a post (could have been from a long time ago) that someone said they noticed the car battery would not die whenever they did this. But if they had their foot pressing the brake pedal when they shut off the car, the battery could die as quick as overnight. I have only been doing this for a couple weeks and I haven't driven very much, so it may just be anecdotal, but I last drove my Juke 6 days ago and started it up this morning with no issues. In my past experience the battery would die in those 6 days.

·
Registered
2013 Juke SL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you are on the right path. The Juke uses a "Smart" alternator so if you need it replaced, bite the bullet and buy an OEM alternator. Aftermarket alternators have been know to cause problems, (maybe like you are having now).
Good lord, Nissan says that alternator is over 400 bucks.

·
Registered
2013 Juke SL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had very similar situations to you. Just a heads up, going to AutoZone they will probably say the battery is dead and the alternator is not working correctly. As Swift said, it's a "smart" alternator. Always get an OEM replacement.

One thing I have been doing lately is when I go to shut the car off from running, I leave my foot OFF the brake pedal. I recently saw a post (could have been from a long time ago) that someone said they noticed the car battery would not die whenever they did this. But if they had their foot pressing the brake pedal when they shut off the car, the battery could die as quick as overnight. I have only been doing this for a couple weeks and I haven't driven very much, so it may just be anecdotal, but I last drove my Juke 6 days ago and started it up this morning with no issues. In my past experience the battery would die in those 6 days.
I don't believe I've every kept my foot on the brake pedal when shutting the car off. I'll keep that in mind though. Just don't understand why it cranks all day at work, but as soon as I get home the battery quickly dies. The temperature outside isn't that different throughout the day compared to the evening time. It's been in the 35s to 40s in the mornings though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem. 2013 Juke, SL AWD. About 70,000 miles. Yesterday I drove the car for 25 miles, mostly highway. I then stopped to run a 5 minute errand. I came back to the car, opened the driver door by pressing the button on the door handle, and got in. All interior lights suddenly went dark. The car wouldn't start at all. No clicking of the starter, nothing. Dead. I got a jump start from another car and it started right up. The battery tests fine and is only 2 and a half years old. This morning all is well. This has happened a few times before. Does anybody have any idea what causes this intermittent failure?

·
Registered
2013 Juke SL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to report back. I think you were right squirtbrnr about the brake pedal issue. The other day when I got home from work I decided to try to start the car every hour to see how long it took for the battery to start dying. When doing this I noticed one time I subconsciously pushed the brake pedal down when shutting the car off. I could be that I have been doing this every time but just wasn't paying any attention to it. The car would give a series of 4 fast beeps repeatedly and a orange fob key light would flash.

Since then I have made sure to not push down the brake pedal when shutting off the car. When done this way, there are no beeps and no flashing lights. The car simply turns off. Ever since then, the car has started up fine every time. Weird. Thank you for the advice! Just in case, I picked up a portable jump starter for future problems.

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
Thanks for the report back. I too was subconsciously pressing the brake pedal when shutting off the car. I'm not yet claiming this fixed my issues, but I had another stretch where I didn't drive my car for 5 days and it started up with no issues after shutting it off with my foot off the brake.

·
Registered
454 Posts
So I have always held the brake when turning off the car. I believe this is due to owning previous Manual transmission vehicles where I hold the brake so it doesn’t roll. Just habit. It feels odd to let off before turning off car even after it’s in park. Only time I don’t is when I’m taking extra time for it to cool down before shutting it off then I’m just sitting listening to a song.

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
Agreed, it feels weird for me too. I've always been quick to put it in park (I have a CVT) then immediately press the start/stop button in the same motion while my foot is still on the brake. I've been making a conscious effort to slow that process down and after putting the car in park, taking my foot off the brake, shutting things off like heated seat, radio, etc then shutting the car off. I feel the jury is still out on this being a "fix" but I've seen positive evidence and no issues since I started doing this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts