Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Sudden onset of low rough idle

23K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  rhartman721 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys;
hopeing someone has an idea of where I need to start looking. Got kind of an odd one here
im in the middle of doing a long road trip. When I left on my trip the car was working perfect.
About 650km in at my first stop I had to stop for some road construction. Suddenly my rpms drew way down. My normal idle would be around 700-800. This dropped down to 500 and is idling really rough. What makes it weird is that is I put the clutch in and put the car into gear, but don’t let off the clutch to start moving forward, my reps will jump back up to where the car idles smoothly or where it normally would idle. But if I put it back into neutral even with the clutch all the way to the floor, the car drops again and idles rough. The engine really doesn’t sound right either at the low idle.
Did i throw a spark plug. Coil? I’ve put water treatment into the tank and running some injector cleaner thought it right now. Think I might have gotten some bad gas along the way maybe. But I continue my trip tomorrow for another couple of hours and am bit concerned about it. No CEL. Cars good under power. No drop in go when driving so it would seem. Just really low and rough idle. Any ideas.

Thanks guys for any help you can give me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most likely need to clean your fuel injectors. They are known to clog on the jukes.

#3 ·
You didn't mention how many miles are on your Juke but my guess is that a fuel induction cleaning as well as fuel injector cleaning is in order. I do the induction cleaning every 17,000-20,0000 miles. My dealership uses BG products:https://www.bgprod.com/services/ After I had mine done at 17,000 miles, it was the difference between night & day!

#4 ·
Dirty MAF ?

Idle relearn procedure.

Unplug negative and reset the ECU so to speak.

#5 ·
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Sorry I forgot to add the mileage. I have 75000km. I’ve been kind of neglectful as far as running cleaner through The injectors and such. I have some in there now. When I get home from my trip I’ll probably run some sea foam though the air intake and clean that out. Clean the throttle body plate, Change spark plugs, clean EGR valve and check the MAF to make sure it’s all clean. Hopefully that will solve it if the injector cleaner won’t smooth it out. I might for ****s and giggles have the battery and alternator checked just to make sure that the coils are getting the right amount of juice as well. I feel like it’s time to get a huge tune up done on the car. Transmission and coolant flush I think it on the dockets for the next couple of months as well just to get EVERYTHING up to date and done.

and again, thanks guys for the suggestions.

#7 ·
Do you have a manual Juke ?

#9 ·
idle air relearn and the throttle valve closed position relearn. When checking for a vacuum leak there are a lot of hoses especially up front of the engine that could be leaking. Just make sure all the clamps are tight and in position. Could also be a leaky or sticky PCV valve in the back left corner of the valve cover.

Honestly, the fluctuating idle from 700 down to 500 with a little shudder and then back to about 700... Mine has always done that at idle from day one. It has to do with a lot of the accessories and the A/C compressor and the smart charging alternator. Yes you can bump the idle RPM to stop it from doing that, but it's really a non-issue.

#10 ·
Thanks for the Info. I'll have to keep that in mind.
The problem solved it self when I got home. Wasn't bad gas as I thought it might be.
It was the weirdest of things. The closer I got to home on my trip back, the better it got at stops. By the time I get close to home, it was gone and acting normal. I'm thinking this was an Elevation thing. Calgary is at an Elevation of over 1000+ , where as Salmon Arm is only around 415. I thought that MAP sensor was suppose to adjust to elevation changes, But for some reason, my Juke hates sea level (or close to).
Is this a calibration thing where I should have recalibrated the car to the different climate?

#11 ·
There is a barometric sensor in the engine bay. Where, I don't know. Not sure if it's part of the MAF, IAT, or a separate sensor all together. That should allow the engine to calibrate for different elevations. The MAP sensor is purely for the engine to know how much boost is in the system. It's the little sensor in the charge pipe between the recirculating valve and the throttle body. As far as I know, there's no user calibration when changing elevations. It's up to the engine to adapt fuel trims and timing. You should probably still perform the idle air relearn at your normal elevation. Though I still think what you experienced is normal.

#12 ·
Hey guys; hopeing someone has an idea of where I need to start looking. Got kind of an odd one here im in the middle of doing a long road trip. When I left on my trip the car was working perfect. About 650km in at my first stop I had to stop for some road construction. Suddenly my rpms drew way down. My normal idle would be around 700-800. This dropped down to 500 and is idling really rough. What makes it weird is that is I put the clutch in and put the car into gear, but don’t let off the clutch to start moving forward, my reps will jump back up to where the car idles smoothly or where it normally would idle. But if I put it back into neutral even with the clutch all the way to the floor, the car drops again and idles rough. The engine really doesn’t sound right either at the low idle. Did i throw a spark plug. Coil? I’ve put water treatment into the tank and running some injector cleaner thought it right now. Think I might have gotten some bad gas along the way maybe. But I continue my trip tomorrow for another couple of hours and am bit concerned about it. No CEL. Cars good under power. No drop in go when driving so it would seem. Just really low and rough idle. Any ideas. Thanks guys for any help you can give me.
Recently experienced a minor impact on the front end, which punctured a small hole in the intercooler (located toward the front, near the radiator). This caused very poor performance and drastically limited engine power output.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.