Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have recently brought a 2014 Nissan Juke Tekna 1.5 dCi. I have noticed a kind of sshhh (almost like a hiss...sounds like a person shushing someone type sound...). It comes from the rear of the car. Is it normal? What is it? Maybe something to do with the climate control? I don't have any mechanical faults or warning lights etc and it was just serviced 3 weeks ago! Just wondering what the sound is really and if anyone could shed some light on it for me.

Many thanks in advance ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try and get a recording...it's not massively loud so might not be able to get it in the recording but I'll give it a try...

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about, and I have a good guess. In the rear bumper area there is a one-way flap that I believe is meant to relieve air pressure. This is normal operation, but could be the source of some exterior sound coming into the vehicle. The sound probably travels through the channel through a couple vents in the trunk area just underneath the taillights.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It won't let me upload the video. I have put it up on YouTube. The link is below. Have a look and let me know if this is normal please. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This seems to only happen when driving in eco mode. It doesnt happen in normal or sports mode. Is it because in eco mode the climate control goes into eco?

·
Administrator
11,782 Posts
Sounds like Intake sounds.

Its a diesel so how about an exhaust leak or the regen filter is getting clogged??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took it to my local garage. They have no idea!? It doesn't seem to be happening today. It happened yesterday. It was raining, car in eco mode, Climate control on 4th power setting at 20 degree C. I don't think it's anything serious but would like to know what it is exactly. I'm more inclined to believe it is what Jaxxa said but can't seem to find the one way flap. Has any body else ever heard their Juke making the sound? Maybe if you put it in the same settings and drive it?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Need a longer video of it happening. That 3 second audio, out of context, is tough to decipher.

It almost sounds like the Injen SRI sucking air... but not quite. I think anyone who had heard that noise would have mentioned it, and I've never seen anyone post an experience like the one in your video.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It sounds louder in the video to be honest. It is something to do with air being sucked or pushed out because that's what it sounds like. It's not happening today?? Weather is sunny and warm. I put it in eco and put the climate control settings to how they were yesterday but still it's not making it. Maybe it only happens when raining? Really not sure!?!? If it happens again I will try and get a longer video.

·
Administrator
11,782 Posts
Was the car still "Cold" ?

It may have been moisture in the system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It might be. I hadn't driven the car long at all when the noise occurs.
I did notice something today though....Does the car have some sort of dehumidifier or something? It didn't happen all day until it rained. When it rained it happened again. It only rained for about 10 minutes and after the rain stopped the noise stopped. Is it possible to be related to rain?

·
Registered
313 Posts
The flap in the previous picture is on the outside underneath the rear bumper itself. I couldn't tell much from the video but the sound didn't seem to match what I was thinking of. Usually the sound I hear just sounds like road noise, but the sound is definitely more pronounced when it rains, because the rain creates more noise when the tires spin, and particularly in the low pressure zone behind the car as it moves quickly.

I didn't try to say too much last time, because I'm not familiar with the Tekna engine, so I can't say for sure that it isn't a different problem. Next time it rains, try taking a longer video, see whether it increases with your overall speed and not your rpm. And try putting a few heavy blankets or quilts in the trunk area by the interior vents.They probably aren't supposed to be blocked, but you can look into sound deadening that area if it does turn out to just be road noise.

I should probably point out the vents are the things that actually look like vents, not to be confused with the openings for the shock tower access, which usually have covers on them, but I have them off in this these pictures

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was raining again today so took the car out. The car was in eco mode, climate control off. I was driving between 30 and 40 mph in 3rd and 4th gears (accept for junctions and traffic lights obviously). The sound comes from the rear of the car and can be heard at the following times in the video; 0:53 and 4:15 and 4:36.

I also noticed when I stopped that there was some sort of white foam residue on the back of the car. It was on the bottom of the boot lid under the number plate and at the top of the rear bumper (photos attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Sounds like a pump or something turning on.

It happened once while you were stopped completely, and another time while moving, so it's not actually wind noise.

Fuel pump on a diesel is in the same spot as petrol jukes, in the trunk?

It's not the rear window wiper going on or the rear window washer squirter maybe?

Edit: Funny.. at first I thought the bit about the foam was going to be completely irrelevant. BUT, that would coincide with rear window washer squirter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I believe the fuel pump is on the same place. As for the rear screen squirter, I have kept an eye on it when the sound happens and haven't noticed anything being squirted from it? Really not sure what it is!?!?!?

·
Registered
279 Posts
It was raining again today so took the car out. The car was in eco mode, climate control off. I was driving between 30 and 40 mph in 3rd and 4th gears (accept for junctions and traffic lights obviously). The sound comes from the rear of the car and can be heard at the following times in the video; 0:53 and 4:15 and 4:36.

I also noticed when I stopped that there was some sort of white foam residue on the back of the car. It was on the bottom of the boot lid under the number plate and at the top of the rear bumper (photos attached) View attachment 186711
View attachment 186709
Washer fluid...Clonazepam should help too

1 - 20 of 38 Posts