·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Me being me one of the few who autocross is why I have stiffened up the juke for better handling. On the same note to much stiffness can hurt your handling as well. I was taught a few things over the years for day to day driving: the brakes will always be faster then the gas, mind the gap between cars, and continue to look at all of your mirrors.

·
Registered
324 Posts
"OH GOD..OH GOD...WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE" ---- that was my immediate thought:crying:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Stiff chassis + soft suspension + sticky tires equal a bad time in high speed maneuvers. Though that's how we get our sporty feel without the stiffer feel. The suspension compresses too quickly with too much travel and can't rebound quick enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good Day Fellow Juke Owners and Enthusiasts!

If everyone pays attention, both versions tested are front wheel drive and not all wheel drive versions. The front wheel drive Jukes have the torsion beam rear suspension, because it's not independent, it tends to take quick maneuvers out on the whole rear end of the vehicle. The all wheel drive Jukes have a multi-link independent rear suspension. Both the front wheel drive and the all wheel drive vehicles do handle differently! I have the SL All Wheel Drive Juke.

Nissan uses the torsion beam rear suspension as a cost cutting tactic. I am also the owner of a 2001 Maxima SE with the torsion beam rear suspension. Because the vehicle has a longer wheelbase, it is more suited for those larger vehicle applications. I like the handling characteristics in the Maxima because it's a larger vehicle. I have no idea why Nissan continues to use the torsion beam on their vehicles with a wheelbase less than 100 inches. I find that the ride in those vehicles with shorter wheelbases and the torsion beam tend to be choppy and the handling is clumsy in emergency maneuvers as you see in the test video with the two front wheel drive Jukes.

Travel Safely Everyone!

·
Super Moderator
10,398 Posts
Its an EXTREME test that not all vehicles look good doing. The Juke isnt the only one that does this thats for sure. In the first Grey Jukes run. Look how HARD that guy yanks the wheel !!! Holly Crap. I think I would tip over other taller SUVs if I yanked that hard.

A different set of OEM tires will effect the outcome. The tire pressure will effect the outcome. Tire Pressure was not listed but could have been verbally said.

This looks like the Suzuki Samurai all over again. Ford Explorers were way worse at tipping over back in the day but Consumer Reports basteredized the Samurai only and they lost massive sales.

So take this test for what its worth. A witch hunt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts