• Hell no! Bad idea

Votes: 4 66.7%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new :)

it is so exciting to see all the people who also love Jukes! so here is my situation I would love some objective opinions ...

Anyways I've been reading as much information as I can about jukes mostly the high mileage ones. Let me first say I've been wanting a Juke since they came out but could never afford it... I am still a little strapped but the Honda dealership I bought my current car reached out about upgrading/trading in my car (I got it from them in 2017 - a 2016 Toyota Corolla with 36k+ miles, now 59k+ miles) I wasn't going to do it BUT

... they had a juke for $8,883😆 it is a 2013 with moon roof, back up camera/Nav, Rockford sound system, in Blue! (my fave color) downside it has 101k+ miles on it - clean record from the carfax, no accidents.

I am still financing my Toyota but I think I can get them down to $7,000 including fees (not sure yet still have to tlk to the dealership).

Should I do it? Is it worth it? from a lot of this forum I am leaning towards no, but it has been such a dream for me to have this with all the bells and color I have wanted. Maybe there is a newer one with under 100k miles out there for me and I just don't know it yet.

I would love some advice and opinions from people who know about this car more and love it. so please give me your honest opinion. as I still can't seem to make a decision yet... I pushed it out till Monday though I am not in any rush at this point.

Thank you all!! excited to be on this forum to learn as much as I can to make the best decision 😁🙏

·
Registered
699 Posts
Keep your Toyota lol. Easiest decision on the planet

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Nismo RS CVT (Pearl White)
174 Posts
Welcome, For me personally I would not do it. Keep your Toyota unless you find a 6 spd Nismo/ Nismo RS or get a lower mileage Juke.

I have a CVT RS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honestly if you really want it and it has been a dream for you then do it. Go for it if it’s what you really want but be prepared down the road when you start having issues. I have a 2011 I’ve done a lot to it and I’m in love with it I’ve had the options to buy other cars but that’s not why I want. My Juke makes me happy to work on it. But if you want something newer, something a bit more reliable as far as issues go especially since it has over 100k miles it would depend on how it was taken care of and if the maintenance on it was kept up. But like I said if you really want it go for it I know I would

·
Administrator
11,911 Posts
Not a chance as a DD. Keep the Toyota. Buy the Juke as a fun car. Simple as that.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
138 Posts
I love that as the juke community were anti-juke. LMAO foreal tho, keep the Toyota if you want something your not going to have to sink money into. Especially the CVT if ur not the first owner.

Reactions: KatWin33

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
At 100K miles I probably would be looking at getting out of our Juke not buying one with 100K. With that said our Juke has been flawless from day one still love the car no regrets at all buying it. Did realize before buying that the CVT was the weak link.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would pay your car off first and then find a juke under $10k with less than 75k miles on it. Sounds like an emotional want rush decision instead of a sound financial plan :)

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Keep the Toyota. If it was an RS that would make the decision more complicated, but it's a regular gen 1 Juke.

Is the Juke going to be funner to drive than that Toyota? Yeah, quite a bit. But the key to daily driving is reliability and trading in a moderate mileage car for a higher mileage one is silly.

If you really want a Juke save up and buy a 2015+ RS as an additional fun car before they are basically impossible to get. Example with about 50k on the clock will set you back 15-18k depending on various factors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the advice and comments!! It really is an emotional impulse and the corolla is boring af but reliable for sure. I am not going to get the juke but will keep my eyes open.

I think I can find a better deal down the road for a newer version Juke + less mileage and all the other things 🤞🤞🤞. I really just love the look and feel of the juke; it's weird and different when almost everything else is all the same. I am sad they discontinued it for the US.

You all are great! Glad I found this forum, either way, my search continues! Manifesting this car for the right time ;)

·
Registered
699 Posts
@KatWin33 There is a good chance that I'll be dropping a brand new transmission into my juke within the next couple months and it only has 40k miles on it. OIl changed every 3k full synthetic and meticulously maintained.

I'd be open to potentially selling it lol

·
Registered
2016 Juke SV AWD
14 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy any Juke from 2011 through 2014 year models based on the research I did before buying mine. I went with a 2016 solely because I knew it had the improved and more durable CVT. I was going between my '16 SV Juke and a 2011 Subaru Forester with 120k for the same price. Both are cars I've always admired since they came out, but one of my goals was to own something I don't have to work on myself (as I have a recent injury preventing it) and something new enough that I won't need to upgrade anything to enjoy it. The Forester didn't tick either of those boxes but the Juke did, so I went for it and I'm glad I did.

Now with that said, I'm going to agree with the consensus here to keep your ultra-reliable and practical Toyota a while longer (I've had a Corolla and it's one of the best daily drivers you can get for the money, it's just not a very exciting car). If you still want a Juke down the road it's definitely a fun and interesting car to own, but what you have now is objectively a better vehicle.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Just for reference, a 2017 Corolla is also CVT. That said, Toyotas seem to be pretty reliable.

A Juke is a lot more fun to drive. The torque-vectoring AWD and short wheelbase made it compelling to me.

That said, if you want a commuting appliance with good fuel economy, you would be better with the Toyota.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't do it! Keep the toyota. I'm about to trade my Juke in for a Rav4. The way I see it you're going backwards I could never afford a rav4 so I got the Juke but now I'm inching closer to obtainable on the Rav4. Nissan is inferior to Toyota that's just how it is 🤷🏼‍♂️ And 100k+ on a CVT? That's a really big gamble!

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Don't do it! Keep the toyota. I'm about to trade my Juke in for a Rav4. The way I see it you're going backwards I could never afford a rav4 so I got the Juke but now I'm inching closer to obtainable on the Rav4. Nissan is inferior to Toyota that's just how it is 🤷🏼‍♂️ And 100k+ on a CVT? That's a really big gamble!
I don't know what your Juke model or year is but we got my friend, who I run my business with, a 2020 TRD Rav4 last year after his previous work car, a 2018 CRV, basically exploded after impacting a deer.

It's a boring ass car. "Reliable" I am sure, but why anyone would buy it for anything except A to B is beyond me. We got it because it's a competent interstate car that has decent cargo room. It is BORING. So insanely mundane. Even the stereo system is meek. It's also pretty slow and even with the TRD package has really pedestrian handling.
The TRD package is a joke and adds nothing meaningful. The interior is cheap and in no way materially superior to the interior of a Juke.

Don't get me wrong it's a fine car and perfect for what we need it for. But said friend also has a 2015 RS like mine and he doesn't ever pleasure cruise in the Rav4 despite totally being allowed to.

I don't get where the rising sentiment on this forum is that Nissan is unreliable or the Juke is unreliable. The Juke sold incredibly well in Japan and they are notorious for only buying vehicles they believe to be reliable because as a society they keep their cars way longer than Americans and take really good care of them. Nissan as a whole, based on actual compiled data, rates in the middle to upper middle range among brands in the USA for reliability. I still regularly see mid to late '00s Rogues, Altimas, Sentras, etc all of which had the first or second gen CVT. On the whole I arguably see more older Nissans than any other brand.

Here is a reliability breakdown and comparison from a site that compiles available commercial and government data - Nissan ranks 9th out of 34 brands.....

America has such a paradoxical, bizarre car culture. People roll around in BMWs and act like the Nissan sitting next to them is a pile of junk, despite extremely strong statistical data proving that to be the reverse of true. People respond to price tags and clever marketing way, way too much. People in America chase badges and prestige and give zero shits about the actual car. The average American car owner can tell you all day about how much their dream luxury car costs but can't squirt out the tiniest shrivel of knowledge about its drivetrain.

Nissan is not inferior to Toyota. On any account. It's all just perception. My Xterra will go every mile a 4Runner would. A Titan will go every mile a Tundra will. The Altima will go every mile a Corolla will.

The Juke is a 20-30k dollar car. It's an sporty economy car that you can buy with a super sporty package. That's it. It was also made in Japan, so you know the people that made it probably actually take home a livable wage. For the price, the country of origin, and the performance, the Juke was a great car and a great deal. There needs to be no apologies that the interior isn't lavished with soft touch materials; if that is a major issue for you that's just stupid. The Juke also has incredibly sophisticated sheet metal formations and lines for a car of this price, most cars at this price point look like smooshed bars of soap.

Seriously wonder if some of the people on this forum have a Juke or are just trolling. The whole US reception and perception of the Juke is just proof most Americans shouldn't even have a set of keys, for any car.

Reactions: Zuke Duke

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'll disagree. The Nissan Altima/Maxima have a terrible reputation and the resale values reflect that. That's not perception, it's reality. The Juke reliability is known, I have my 1st hand experiences.

Go to carcomplaints.com

Yes, the Juke got more reliable but really only in the 2nd generation from the data I've analyzed.

The Juke typical problems were: Stretched/worn timing chains causing total engine destruction, carbon fouled intake valves, fuel leaks @ rail sensor, failing/overheating CVT transmissions, push-start issues (parking switch), turbo feed line coking causing turbo failures, etc. I've had most if not all of these issues.....in 80k miles of ownership. What is a 100,000 mile Juke going to look like? Yes, the engine is built extremely well and I personally tore down the MR16DDT and inspected it and honestly it showed little to no wear. Running full synthetic oil helps tremendously. The cylinder head was a mess because of the direct injection, they need a rebuild every 60k miles IMHO, or a good catch can from the get go. My turbo was in great shape with little shaft play but I was pushing some oil past the carbon seals into the exhaust a little bit.

That 2013 Juke with 101,000 miles most likely has a worn out CVT, cylinder head needing a rebuild at the least, potential issue with the turbocharger, & possibly a timing chain replacement. The total cost right about there is equal to the purchase cost ($4500, $1500, $1500, $2,000). I wouldn't touch it for the reasons I just stated. If we are talking a Gen2 with 30-50k miles for $12-$13k, then I'm very happy to recommend one to anyone because of the improvements Nissan made and the low mileage, the investment makes some reasonable sense. I reviewed extensively the reported failures at NHTSA and www.carcomplaints for the CVT failures to understand what was going on. They really didn't do much differently then the notorious 2007 Altima until the 2nd Gen Juke came out with the much improved JF016.

No one here is trolling, we are giving a good assessment to a potential owner. Is that $8,800 worth it? Not for me it wouldn't. It's a false economy because much of the car is already at end-of-life already. If the owner squeezed 2-3 years out of it, might be worth it from a doller/year expenditure point of view. I think I could find better ways to spend $8,800 over the course of 3 years, like a 3 year lease on a brand new car for instance with none of the headaches. That would put someone into a 2021 Honda Civic 1.5L turbo for $0 down and $250/month @ 3 years.

Reactions: Scrat and Klinco

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I'll disagree. The Nissan Altima/Maxima have a terrible reputation and the resale values reflect that. That's not perception, it's reality. The Juke reliability is known, I have my 1st hand experiences.

Go to carcomplaints.com

Yes, the Juke got more reliable but really only in the 2nd generation from the data I've analyzed.

The Juke typical problems were: Stretched/worn timing chains causing total engine destruction, carbon fouled intake valves, fuel leaks @ rail sensor, failing/overheating CVT transmissions, push-start issues (parking switch), turbo feed line coking causing turbo failures, etc. I've had most if not all of these issues.....in 80k miles of ownership. What is a 100,000 mile Juke going to look like? Yes, the engine is built extremely well and I personally tore down the MR16DDT and inspected it and honestly it showed little to no wear. Running full synthetic oil helps tremendously. The cylinder head was a mess because of the direct injection, they need a rebuild every 60k miles IMHO, or a good catch can from the get go. My turbo was in great shape with little shaft play but I was pushing some oil past the carbon seals into the exhaust a little bit.

That 2013 Juke with 101,000 miles most likely has a worn out CVT, cylinder head needing a rebuild at the least, potential issue with the turbocharger, & possibly a timing chain replacement. The total cost right about there is equal to the purchase cost ($4500, $1500, $1500, $2,000). I wouldn't touch it for the reasons I just stated. If we are talking a Gen2 with 30-50k miles for $12-$13k, then I'm very happy to recommend one to anyone because of the improvements Nissan made and the low mileage, the investment makes some reasonable sense. I reviewed extensively the reported failures at NHTSA and www.carcomplaints for the CVT failures to understand what was going on. They really didn't do much differently then the notorious 2007 Altima until the 2nd Gen Juke came out with the much improved JF016.

No one here is trolling, we are giving a good assessment to a potential owner. Is that $8,800 worth it? Not for me it wouldn't. It's a false economy because much of the car is already at end-of-life already. If the owner squeezed 2-3 years out of it, might be worth it from a doller/year expenditure point of view. I think I could find better ways to spend $8,800 over the course of 3 years, like a 3 year lease on a brand new car for instance with none of the headaches. That would put someone into a 2021 Honda Civic 1.5L turbo for $0 down and $250/month @ 3 years.
I did go to car complaints and looked at the NHTSA. I typed in a variety of cars and they all had countless complaints including Toyota and Honda. All cars have problems, and they all had roughly the same number of complaints scaled to the number of units sold.

You can say it all you want, but actual, real, compiled data says otherwise. Nissans are reliable, including the CVT models. Going to a complaint site and saying "look, see!" is disingenuous because I can do that for any model car ever made. I think every manufacturer on the planet has had timing chain issues, literally every single one. Also every car ever is going to have wear and tear, and every direct injection car ever is going to have issues with buildup. Buildup is irrelevant unless it causes a problem and from a search on the site here it seems like it hasn't been a problem for virtually anyone here unlike a lot of VW and BMW vehicles.

Also I already told the guy to keep the Toyota, that's an obvious given. What I was going against was the impression being given in this thread that the Juke is a bad car at any mileage, which is patently false. Basically all you do here on this forum is complain about the Juke and talk about how much you hate Nissan and want to sell your car. We get it. Sell your car and move on.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
SamusFarron,

Sorry, I'm pretty good at the analysis stuff......engineer and all that. What data I reviewed was interesting. The trend was huge 2010 issues thanks to the timing chain, tapering off to almost minimal on the 2gen Jukes. Believe whatever you like that makes you feel better.

I don't recall threatening to sell my car in recent history and any of the baseless things you are stating. I think you've confused me with someone else. I have the means and have corrected all the deficiencies I discussed.....because I AM a Nissan enthusiast. I don't get from this thread ANY owner is bashing Nissan........they are just HONEST with themselves about the reliability. But they still drive them because it's a fun/cheap car if your expectations are realistic.

You are somewhat conflating new vs. high mileage reliability. The CVT is 100% going to be a high mileage problem. If you use that statistical argument then the cycle fatigue of the CVT pushbelt is working heavily against any high mileage CVT. This was a massive problem before the Juke, the belts got heavily upgraded to even survive normal mileages. It all depends on the previous owner and praying they weren't hooning that thing it's entire life. That's a poor bet.

The average CVT replacement cost from Nissan is running about $4500 with taxes and installation, IF they give you a new unit and not a reman then you might luckout. Without knowing the exact history of that car, having a look at the CVT belt, it's a crap shoot. I could drive one and tell pretty quickly if it was going out, but they are deceptive in that they will still run pretty good right up until they blow up.

The Nissans have gotten better, actually the Jatco transmissions have gotten better. I've seen few and far between Juke 2nd Gen CVT failures on these forums and it's my OPINION they are much more reliable. It's debatable that the Gen2 is a better car, probably harder to mod but definitely a better daily driver. The 1st Gen got the notorious CVT2 which is the same crap that came on the 2007 Altima that caused the ginormous recall that nearly took out Jatco. This is well documented and almost legendary. If an owner got past 100k miles they were doing good, many got as little as 60k miles before a replacement was required.

I can't think of a person who buys a Nissan and doesn't know what crap the Altima/Maxima were circa 2007-2012. The resale values were almost non-existent. Is that some bias based on nothing? Have they gotten better? Yes, the Jatco transmissions got better. I'm also staying away from the Honda Civic CVT 1.5L turbo for the same reasons.

OP: Good luck with your purchase whatever that is. Cheers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts