Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bought mine brand new back in 2011, that's the original badge, states Xtronic.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Wow! If I were sitting in my car right now, I’d feel like I was watching some road rage taking place. As an impartial observer, all I can say is, Juke Ninja asked a question and put it out there to his fellow Jukers. Bargeld, if you had an answer for him, great, but you didn’t have to be a dick with the rude comments about the “cool guy post” and referring to his comments as being crap and wacky ass. If you didn’t understand, then just ask for clarification. I’m pulling out the white flag here guys...just kiss and make up already!! 🏳

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I wouldn't limit "funky marketing Jargon" to Japanese, for if everyone does the "funky," certainly U.S. firms do, as they likely invented it. Further much of the "funkiness" comes from awkward translation of terms due to the huge difference of vocabulary systems between English and Japanese. This thread already established a distinction between the "conventional" cvt and the xtronic cvt. They are not synonymous though some people unwittingly talk as though they are.

I was well aware that U.S. Jukes had sales later than in Japan but members of this website point out

All US Jukes come from Japan
so production runs prior to 2012 do most certainly relate as they all come from the same source. And on this score, simply because our members have received notification letters about the class action suit doesn't mean that the suit was "won." The lawyers have won nothing yet, and so does not validate their exclusion of Jukes produced before 2013.

The questions that started this thread remain open. There is something special about the xtronic cvt as opposed to the conventional cvt. That however may be more theoretical than practical, given the lawsuit(s).

Furthermore when certain mechanics criticize the "xtronic" opposed to the conventional cvt, then they at least perceive a defect in the former not in the latter. Thus xtronic is not simply marketing jargon but insufficient development that at least by theory justifies xtronic as a unique term. And indeed that is what the class suit banks on. Perhaps if my Juke lives on, it might because it doesn't have an xtronic!

So thank you for your collective help, I can rest more easily as well conceptualize the mechanics a lot better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just recently I came back here after 9 years of taking my Juke for granted and Japanese workmanship. I was in a slumber of car neglect. I have never washed nor waxed my car. (I am not a car freak, excuse me please). Then recently shocked that I was more than 30k overdue for a transmission fluid change, as well as finding out about recalls of juke trannies and so on. So I have been googling as much info as I can and very thankful about this website, as I am sure many of my posts have indicated. I have gained a lot of insight, thank you, and especially so after learning I do indeed have an xtronic. Uh oh, back to square one but not without the much knowledge attained. Thank you again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nissan CVTs don't enjoy a reputation for longevity. Honda & Toyota CVTs don't appear to generate anywhere near the same number of complaints so far.... Toyota (Aisin) have been using CVTs for decades in the home market in Japan. On their tiny models not sold here in NA.

If you want a car to last you 15+ get a Honda or Toyota preferably with stick. If you can drive it. With Nissan CVT it will likely get to the point well before 15+ where cost of CVT replacement is more than value of the car..

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I missed out on the Xtronic badge though, mine says Pure Drive.

Nissan CVT were infamous, yes. The 2007 thru 2012 were not good model years for the Maxima and Altima. But the Juke in particular, I’m sorry no the data doesn’t support widespread CVT failures. I found a total of 12 complaints and then maybe 6-10 owners on this site over the years. Most on here were modded, that doesn’t count. Many on the other consumer complaint websites had symptoms of fuid underfill or overfill issues, commonly misdiagnosed as a failing transmission.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So then we Jukers are riding high. We've got a well-built car, exceptional styling and proven popularity at reasonable price. Yet Nissan let it die in most of the world. Doesn't make sense. Is this symptomatic of apparently poor management as indicated by the downturn of Nissan's fortunes in recent years?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Not sure what happened. A 7-8 year production run isn’t bad actually. It was popular in Europe. Here too many people didn’t dig the looks, but those that drove it were impressed. I drive an EVO and I still at times preferred driving the Juke. The small size made it a bit impractical for the main stream, tiny trunk and limited fuel range and choppy handling. Who knows the decisions corporations make.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Insightful about not large enough for the U.S. But didn't the advertising dry up after the first two years? It seems like Nissan threw in the towel early.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I think this may explain the reason:

Juke sales typically maxed at 35k units per year U.S., while Europe was seeing as high as 100,000 per year.
The last several years the Juke sales dipped below 20k units, and thus I'd imagine played a roll in the Juke getting nixed.
Europe however held nearly 95-100k up until 2017.

In reality, it's Europe that kept the Juke alive if anything else. And mainly the reason it'll be revived again.

Nissan already have a hybrid system for the new Juke in development, just read the article this morning.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Interesting the article includes a section titled, "marketing"; more interesting is that it includes only three lines of print. ha, ha I always liked the donut commercial best of all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just recently I came back here after 9 years of taking my Juke for granted and Japanese workmanship. I was in a slumber of car neglect. I have never washed nor waxed my car. (I am not a car freak, excuse me please). Then recently shocked that I was more than 30k overdue for a transmission fluid change, as well as finding out about recalls of juke trannies and so on. So I have been googling as much info as I can and very thankful about this website, as I am sure many of my posts have indicated. I have gained a lot of insight, thank you, and especially so after learning I do indeed have an xtronic. Uh oh, back to square one but not without the much knowledge attained. Thank you again.
sorry to cut q over the topic, but can i have more info on juke trans recall in japan? it happens recently or?
any links regarding it? i dont mind if it's in Japanese as i can google translate it 😅 my baby juke originally from japan & we will never know any recall for it from official....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I missed out on the Xtronic badge though, mine says Pure Drive.

Nissan CVT were infamous, yes. The 2007 thru 2012 were not good model years for the Maxima and Altima. But the Juke in particular, I’m sorry no the data doesn’t support widespread CVT failures. I found a total of 12 complaints and then maybe 6-10 owners on this site over the years. Most on here were modded, that doesn’t count. Many on the other consumer complaint websites had symptoms of fuid underfill or overfill issues, commonly misdiagnosed as a failing transmission.

i was once afraid of the cvt too, almost giving up juke because of cvt.
being quite active among a few local nissan owners club, there's cvt bad feedback everywhere.
from serena, xtrail to sylphy, the only exempted seems only teana. not to mention even earlier generation of cvt, from those car guys modding SR engine with cvt from primera to their sentra, its "common sense” for nissan cvt=fragile trans.
when ppl talk bout nissan, mostly the thing come in mind first would be "cvt failure"
years back, g11 had reported cases with limp mode, end up owners cnc the adapter plate n doing examination on external cooler to solve the problems. later on, b17 had the shortest model life span among all nissan here. if not mistaken there's only 1 batch or last a year only by local dealer. tragic happens for this mra8de model of sylphy, transmission failure, replacement, complaints, problems everywhere.

but after i had done a few search among google especially threads in this forum & consult my mechanic friend,
i decided to go with it even it is cvt.
reason? as stated by many of above replies, fluid lvl is not aware by most of the owners & even mechanic.
over/under fill cases all around the world, and happens on me too. my 1st fluid change was over fill with more than 500ml. and the mechanic are not aware of how sensitive of it compare to old AT trans.
in earlier model, cvt failure cases mostly related to wrong fluid. while CVT is not common yet, lots of these cvt being fill up with ATF.
other than that, i also notice that there's misleading regarding maintenance routine.
im not sure the true story behind, but there's various version of routine i've seen & heard,
some said the service center have d device to check the oil condition and decide to drain or not,
some said 60k miles only drain, while malaysia, if im not mistaken owner have been told by sc only drain it when reached 80k km...and even i've heard some said they been told no filter change required.
then regarding the whining noise, its being describe as deadly cvt noise, once it happens means trans going to dead soon. but in fact, there're many reason causing that, myself experience it too, after putting the fluid to correct lvl and changed the filter, clean out the pan, it back to normal.
as mentioned above, after searching thru the threads, if the cvt is proper maintaining, owner are alert with the conditions and take the move before it get worst, it seems not much failure case...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts