Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sh*t I feel like a humanoid from the year 2525 the moment it/he/she finds out it's robotic. Is my CVT xtronic? Is "Nissan cvt" synonymous with "Nissan xtronic cvt"? I have googled it but couldn't confirm or disconfirm. A weird feeling that I have been running my Juke issue-free but heard specifically the xtronic is problematic. If so, then an identity crisis!
(I'm kind of a Rip Van Winkle emerging out of 8 or 9-year happy slumber in my Juke to find out earlier recalls on the cvt, etc. etc.
Since been told mine is not affected. Ok, but also learned theoretically our cvt system is not the best on the block.) Anybody there could fill me in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sh*t I feel like a humanoid from the year 2525 the moment it/he/she finds out it's robotic. Is my CVT xtronic? Is "Nissan cvt" synonymous with "Nissan xtronic cvt"? I have googled it but couldn't confirm or disconfirm. A weird feeling that I have been running my Juke issue-free but heard specifically the xtronic is problematic. If so, then an identity crisis!
(I'm kind of a Rip Van Winkle emerging out of 8 or 9-year happy slumber in my Juke to find out earlier recalls on the cvt, etc. etc.
Since been told mine is not affected. Ok, but also learned theoretically our cvt system is not the best on the block.) Anybody there could fill me in?
Ive also be thinking about this!! Hopefully someone knows!! :unsure:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Honestly, I know you are trying to make this into a 'cool guy' post, but it makes it much more difficult to figure out what the crap you are even saying.

If you want to know if all Juke CVTs are 'xtronic CVT', then yes, they are. It's marketing jargon.

If you want to know about reliability and other historical experiences by forum members, then jump into the search feature because there is 9 years worth of CVT experience, stories, and history that is not able to be summarized into a response tailored to your wacky ass request.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Honestly, I know you are trying
Sorry to ruffle your feathers. You can save psycho babble for yourself or somebody else. Maybe you ought to take in some anger management training, judging by your last line. :D Who's more wacky? :D

Thanks for the tip about the marketing jargon. But I think it is likely more than that. Are you saying from DAY i that Nissan's used both "cvt" and "xtronic cvt"? It is quite possible that xtronic arose with further development of the cvt.

(Note I had googled as well targeting this forum but could not find the answer. Thus my post.)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
DING DING Okay boys, back to your corners!!!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Not angry, just much harder to help when the questions aren't clear. I didn't have a better way to let you know that your phrasing is wacky. So I used straightforward wording, sorry if you aren't used to people being straightforward with you.

Beyond that, here is the xtronic CVT info you want:

NISSAN'S XTRONIC CVT CONTINUES TO EVOLVE IN ITS THIRD GENERATION WITH D-STEP LOGIC CONTROL
Is the CVT a new technology?
Nissan first adopted the Continuously Variable Transmission globally in 1992, and have gone through constant development, enhancement, and improvement ever since. The first major application of the XTRONIC CVT in the U.S. marketplace was the 2003 Nissan Murano.
And finally, I recommended the forum search not towards the xtronic question, but towards the reliabily and experiences question. There have been a couple recent (past month or 2) topics on CVT which will summarize for you. This is one of those things where the information is here and easy to navigate or search. So the assumption is that if a little bit of time spent for yourself is too much, then you would prefer to just have the information tailored and spoonfed to you. I don't mean that's what you are asking for, but by not diving into the existing info available, it kinda appears like that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just as I was saying, xtronic may have been a later development than the cvt. Your post doesn't clear that up. And because some people talk about xtronic apart from "cvt" it is confusing. BTW, this is crucial question in the context of faulty CVTs: when terms are confused, then determinations become more difficult to make.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
As Bargeld said, if you actually did a very quick search, you would find the answer.

"The D-Step Logic uses applications to help it hold the constant gear ratio like a conventional transmission, but the CVT technology gives it more flexibility. The biggest difference between a conventional CVT and Nissan's Xtronic CVT is the increase in distance between the transmission oil and the pulley."

But at the end of the day, a CVT trans is still a CVT trans no matter what fancy word goes in front of CVT.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Since your juke is running fine, I'm not sure how this distinction is 'crucial', but eyyyy. (Coming from a purely logical approach to your request).

I just spent 3 mins on google and it appears pretty clear to me that all jukes are xtronic.
Wikipedia states it.
There are nissan press releases stating that 2015 models have it.
Juke teknas have it.
Muranos have it.
Sites like auto-data.net show the juke with xtronic for 2014.
Another site says 2012 is xtronic.
We know that the cvt only changed when the gen 2 engine was released, and the new one is xtronic also.

Even the lawsuit site states 2013-2017:
A Nissan XTRONIC continuously variable transmission (CVT) lawsuit alleges customers can pay thousands of dollars to replace transmissions that Nissan should replace for free.

Plaintiffs Cheyne Norman, Patricia Weckwerth and Sophia Wescott filed the nationwide class-action lawsuit that includes consumers who purchased or leased any 2013-2017 Nissan Versa, 2013-2017 Nissan Versa Note or 2013-2017 Nissan Juke equipped with XTRONIC CVTs.

The lawsuit alleges Nissan failed to disclose facts and safety concerns caused by the Jatco CVT7 transmissions that allegedly suffer from the following symptoms:
I thought the article and highlights of my post were pretty clear:
Nissan has made a CVT since 1992.
The first xtronic was the 2003 murano.
The XTRONIC CVT: the future of the automatic transmission, available across the Nissan lineup.
[*]
Available on certain trim levels. (Not models)
Perhaps you just don't like MY answer because of my earlier comments and calling your wording 'wacky'. So you can choose to disbelieve me and wait for some others to chime in and verify (if you choose to believe them as well). Or, perhaps at this point the only way to truly answer your quandary is to call Nissan and ask them directly.

Welcome back to the forums, I guess. Sorry our/my info isn't good enough for you and that searching the forum history hasn't put your mind at rest about the reliability of your CVT.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Since your juke is running fine,
When I bought my Juke new in '11 it wasn't described as a xtronic cvt. And actually Storm Trooper proved my point: Technically cvt and xtronic cvt are not the same. He states:
"The biggest difference between a conventional CVT and Nissan's Xtronic CVT"

Further the class action suit you and Storm Trooper bring up does not include mine nor yours!! Read it please, it says: "2013-2017 Nissan Juke equipped with XTRONIC CVTs"--as the jukes included in the class action suit.

There you have it--it is not merely marketing jargon as you pontificated. And before you attack people, you ought to first know what you are talking about.

Finally, so what if my Juke runs well and I want to check on the troubles of the cvt. Here you are way off your rails:
"Since your juke is running fine, I'm not sure how this distinction is 'crucial', but eyyyy. (Coming from a purely logical approach to your request)."
Learn to spell besides reading and writing, as well as civility--and you will find more joy in your life. Your prior anger was completely uncalled for.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
And actually Storm Trooper proved my point: Technically cvt and xtronic cvt are not the same. He states:
"The biggest difference between a conventional CVT and Nissan's Xtronic CVT"
I think you are missing the end of that quote... It said the biggest difference was that the distance between the pulley and oil is greater on the Xtronic. But they are both still CVTs that do the exact same thing.

Further the class action suit you and Storm Trooper bring up does not include mine nor yours!!
I said nothing about the law suit....

Finally, so what if my Juke runs well and I want to check on the troubles of the cvt. Here you are way off your rails:
"Since your juke is running fine, I'm not sure how this distinction is 'crucial', but eyyyy. (Coming from a purely logical approach to your request)."
Learn to spell besides reading and writing, as well as civility--and you will find more joy in your life. Your prior anger was completely uncalled for.
Bargeld is here to help people, proven many times, not to stir up nonsense like you. #endthread

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The Xtronic main feature is the widened pulley ratios to about 6:1 (2.349 low gear to .349 high gear), mainly for fuel economy improvement. And some blurb about 30% faster shift times, along with the use of a high performance CVT fluid. There's a blurb about dynamic control of engine power during shifting. Those are the main highlights.

If you want more technical, the service manual goes into painful detail about the torque reduction strategy on upshifts, torque converter lockup graphs, etc. Whether this pertains to Xtronic only, don't much care, this is how the 2010-2014 Juke CVT works.

The trend now is to increase the pulley ratios further, shortening the pulley centerline distances, decreasing the torque converter width and reducing the trans case volume,. raising the pushbelt out of the oil sump, reducing the sump oil volume, running lower viscosity CVT oil, and reducing the oil pump size and/or producing variable pump control, and so on.

The Xtronic isn't a bad transmission. The faster shift speeds, that is the real deal, shifts as hard & fast as anything I've driven.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What brought me to post originally was finding mechanics who specifically negatively spoke about "xtronic transmissions." Again no one has convinced me here that cvt and xtronic cvt are the same entity. Yes sometimes maybe many times maybe even most times they are but not always.

Bargeld was patently false in claiming that 1) all Jukes have an xtronic cvt and 2) xtronic is just marketing jargon. It is possible his own Juke does not have one given his car is not included in the aforementioned Nissan xtronic cvt class action suit.

So when some mechanics take pot shots at the xtronic aside from cvt, then there might be an appreciable difference between the two types.

Anyway thank you pboglio as always for your considerate post.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Following your own logic that lawyers for a class action suit will diligently include as many members as possible, isn't it strange that yours and mine were excluded?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
From the lawsuit website:

The plaintiffs believe that since 2013, Nissan has been aware the CVTs installed in the vehicles would require frequent replacements, including replacements just outside of warranty.
Maybe you should read the resources that I'm providing rather than just stonewalling me. Prior to 2013, when the juke was in the first and second year, they had no track record regarding failures with the CVT. Therefore they did not include those years in the suit, as it would be difficult to prove that Nissan knew about failures on them. Once Nissan had a couple years of history with the Juke CVT, the plaintiffs claim that Nissan then had knowledge of a defective product, hence the lawsuit. They did not have that knowledge in the first 2 years.

But keep trying, I know you really, really want to show that I'm wrong and that my 'help' is useless. Or you can pick on my spelling or grammar if you think you can find a problem there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Bargeld, I appreciate you, you've done a good job on this. Let me correct you on this though. First Juke actually had been in production not two years but three years prior to 2013.

I bought mine in Japan early '11 but had considered a used one from the year before--known as the debut year. In fact, used Jukes were very helpful for me in visualizing my choice of color for a new one. So the lawyers for this class action suit then didn't do their homework well, did they.

Sure only one year difference, but a much bigger difference between 2 and 3 years. That extra year could mean the difference of swaying a jury and winning the case. At the same time it increases the chance of a changed design of the transmission during the time period in dispute. Or did the lawyers take that all into account?! :)

Another point wrong is the following:
But keep trying, I know you really, really want to show that I'm wrong and that my 'help' is useless. Or you can pick on my spelling or grammar if you think you can find a problem there.
All that is nonsense. We are a community; we help each other. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link. We cooperate not compete. I rather you be correct than wrong. Only correct information will ultimately advance us. Sometimes though it requires a struggle, and collectively through our struggle we are getting a better handle on the Nissan CVT! Again I want to thank pboglio for his, as always informative post, and you too Bargeld.
·

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I appreciate hitting some middle ground here.

For the purpose of accuracy though, Juke production was started in 2010 in both Japan and Europe, so yes 3 years. BUT, the US versions were manufactured in Japan and sold as a 2011 model year, meaning only 2 years of the vehicle available for analysis and historical records in the US market. This can be seen by searching for 2010 Juke and visiting any US website with a year/model selector which will not show 2010 Juke as an option. If there was a 2010 model year sold, it was not in the US. From the standpoint of the lawsuit, they would not use vehicles from other international markets. So it still stands that the lawsuit took 2011-2012 out of the equation and did not have to consider the non-existent 2010 US Juke.

I won't try to guess the level of homework that the lawyers of the lawsuit did. The end result is that they presented a case and apparently won, because forum members here have just recently received notification of the suit and that they can choose to participate.

And yes, we are a community, but here we are near the end of this back and forth (I hope) and my initial statements still hold true. It shouldn't have required that level of struggle and effort. I'm spending time being an internet search commando in order to provide you with precise details for topics/statements that you are questioning. This goes back to my earlier posts suggesting that both site search and general googling can answer all these questions. But (again) it appeared that you wanted someone else to do that legwork because you weren't willing or able. I don't mind, because that's what this forum is about, helping each other. But it really should be much easier and at a much lighter tone.

🍻 Cheers to OUR newfound knowledge. All US jukes are 2011-up, all juke CVTs are xtronic, and xtronic really is a fake marketing term to differentiate the Nissan CVT from CVTs of other manufacturers. And it's in the 3rd generation of xtronic. If it was called something like "Nissan's increased pulley ratio, shortened pulley centerline, narrow width torque converter with reduced trans case volume and dynamic fluid control changes" then I would agree it's not just marketing. But it's "xtronic", which isn't a real word.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Bargeld is correct, Xtronic pertains to 2010-2014 Jukes FWD/AWD models, no debate on that subject. I always gloss over the funky marketing Jargon the Japanese use (i.e. Pure drive, Skyactive, etc.). I'd reckon Xtronic is just a term coining the running mechanical/software improvements, which are clearly stated.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts