I finally have a chance to install the Seibon GTR hood 2 weeks ago since the weather is getting warmer (bought in Nov 2020). There’re plenty of install threads on it so I already know what to expect. But still, there are some unexpected issues I encountered so thought I just quickly share my experience here in case anyone would be getting one. Hood was installed on my 2015 Nismo RS; not sure if some of the issues I got is limited to this model only. If you’re short on time, just focus on the bolded/underlined words.
- Prior to purchasing the hood, I specifically asked if the gap issues has been fixed, the person said Seibon was aware of it and it was fixed, so I went ahead to purchase it. Turns out, Driver-side gap is still there, not sure what they fixed. But doesn’t bother me after the first few minutes.
- Poor shipping/delivery company. No surprise there though based on the reviews. Delivered to Ohio with one-side of packaging crumpled/destroyed, barely taped together, and exposing some of the foam packaging. Started snapping shots while it's still on the delivery van. Documented and signed for the package per the instruction. Very disappointed as I was sure to have to return it after weeks of waiting. Would have picked it up myself if I’m still in Cali. Anyways, I was surprised that it was actually well packaged/wrapped. I removed the wood prop and inspected the hood very closely, scrutinized it numerous times under various lighting angles/temperatures, but found absolutely no damage at all. There are some minor manufacturing imperfections but no damage/blemish to structure/appearance at all, much to my surprise. Manufactured date: 2019.4.28
- Took my time to prep the hood myself over the next few months. Ceramic coat the hood, wrap the entire CF with Xpel, ceramic coat it again. Underhood, to fight off heat, applied some leftover Noico foam pads, then heat reflective adhesive. Hybrid ceramic wax the underhood.
- Two people to remove OEM hood (just to be safe not hitting the windshield), and just myself to install (using prop rod to support).
- Weighed myself+hood then subtract my weight. Not industrial/postal scale, but think this helps to reduce systematic error (physics)? Btw, my OEM hood is also vinyl wrapped. Weights: OEM – 13.25kg (29.15lb), Seibon – 9.5kg (20.90lb). Repeated many times and got exact values.
- The hood cannot be adjusted. Maybe it’s just on this car. The top bolt hole on each side is round and fixed, only the bottom one is elongated. So it can only go on one way and not much adjustment can be made. So doesn't matter how much I pull, there’s nothing I can do to reduce the driver-side gap.
- The hood CANNOT be closed. Initially I thought it's because the metal clip under the hood was slightly crooked, but it fitted into the latch no problem. After loosening the latch on car and adjusted it upwards, I still couldn’t close the hood. Using some anti-seize to investigate what’s blocking it, turned out it was the 2 metal tips on the latch that was hitting the hood near the clip area. Options were either grinding down the hood or bend the metal latch. I bend the metal tip and now it fits perfect.
- The rubber stoppers CANNOT be installed. I saw previous install threads where the rubber stoppers were installed fine, but not in my case. I tried lubricating with silicone and still doesn't work. There’s no way I can jam the stopper in because the thickness is too thick for the stopper grooves to twist on. I ended up using strips of foam tape and rubber weather strips to prop up the latch area. It’s not rattling much and works so far.
- For those with aftermarket struts, I tried installing them back onto the hood. I find the combined force from both struts are too much for the lighter hood, so I removed one side only. The pressure/force of single strut kinda works to hold the hood up by itself for about 5 minutes before slowly letting the hood go (strut is 6-year old and could be worn). Hood prop is likely necessary just in case, especially during winter times.
- I have some leftover 4” silicone brake duct hose, so I cut some up and fitted underneath the vents. Washed the car once and water seems to be going/draining where I want them to be. Yet to be tested under actual heavy rain.