Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing about these engines getting really bad carbon build up in them and I'm curious if anyone has tried using seafoam to help clean them out a bit?

I'm not quite sure where you would introduce this into the engine so it gets to all 4 cylinders evenly but I've used it often with good luck on older vehicles.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I think a couple of us have. There was a post up about where to do it if you search around.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Searching didn't turn up anything other then a few have done it, and a Few say don't do it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I talked with my technician at Montgomeryville Nissan about putting Sea Foam in the tank. He said that it will not harm anything doing it this way and to get out & crank up the rpm's while going down the highway. Ron said it was actually better than the MOC fuel injector cleaner the dealership uses. I haven't had any issues with mine at all.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Drumz, due to the jukes direct injection, pouring it in the tank will do nothing for the carbon buildup on the intake valves. If you dont think that the carbon buildup is serious, take a look at these pictures I took of intake valves on a 2011 juke with 49k on it. HUGE amounts of carbon buildup.

http://s24.postimg.org/ro2zpshrp/20131108_095928.jpg
http://s24.postimg.org/qfaiqf0fp/20131108_095946.jpg
http://s24.postimg.org/gn3971051/20131108_095952.jpg
http://s24.postimg.org/wf2v7talx/20131108_102955.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw those photos are thats EXACTLY why I'm asking! Seems like it wont hurt anything. Or if it does its the turbo seals? Im not sure I understand how that works

·
Registered
697 Posts
There are stories of people having issues with seafoam. Also I have read and known a lot of people that love using it. After I used it I noticed a lot of good. I'll try and find the post and if I can't I'll take a pic of the line I used in the morning when I have some light to see.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If it won't help the buildup on the intake valves, what do you suggest then?

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeah its not surprising that you might briefly throw a code during the process...But that quickly goes away after all the residual is removed....
yeah i'll probably do it yearly. the code was easily reset by disconnecting the battery terminals. I am concerned about seals going at the turbo but thats what the warranty is for

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow every 10k? With two occ, I look forward to seeing you placement so you will have to put up pics. Not worried about damage from sea foam? I got a mix review when I put up a post about it. I haven't seen you have post in a while glad to see your still kicking around the forum

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have you had anything to drain from your other can?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The OCCs is something I've been thinking of doing as well. Tho, I've been debating if the Juke is worth it to me yet as to dump to much extra money in it with all this stuff going around about timing chains blowing apart and CVTs failing. Even been debating on trying to get the dealership to give me my Titan back and they can have the Juke back.

Really fun car and a blast to drive but seems to be rather lacking in the longevity department!

Anyways back to seafoam, I have this little rig I made for injecting seafoam into the intake as a mist from a can so I'm not to worried about flooding this little car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've never honestly tried the aerosol stuff before... Hmm I wonder which works better? But that looks like a pretty simple rig for that. Mines not much harder, its just a 1/8" line with a y fitting half way though it and a fitting so it will seal on a brake booster hose properly. So it sucks in air and seafoam to keep it as a mist.

·
Registered
849 Posts
The vacuum lines that you are using for this Curious, what are they going to? Do you have any idea of how your intake valves look? Do you know if the seafoam treats you are doing are actually accomplishing anything? This and the timing chain issues are a major concern of mine regarding the engines long term durability. If you method works well, I'd like to start doing it myself to keep this problem at bay instead of havign to pull the manifold and blast the valves with walnuts. I do a crap load of around town driving, so I'm starting to wonder if my valves are gettign accelearted build up from being in high vacuum all the time. AFter all, intake valve stem seals is the primary source of deposits on the valve stems and why diesel engines don't suffer from this issue. Doesn't hurt that most diesels also use an open crank case ventilation too...

I just know my average mpgs on an extended trip dropped 3mpg compared to the same trip last year, valve deposits could be the cause. If the week end is fair, I hope to open the throttle plate and work an inspection camera down into the intake manifold and get a view of my valve stems at 20k miles.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I was actually wondering if a tiny nos fogger could but used to clean the valves. Install the fogger just upstream of the throttle plate at a permanent install solution. Haven't figured out how to supply pressurized seafoam to the nozzle yet. One step at a time. It would have the benefit of supplying seafoam in small amounts at high engine load which would increase flow over the valves and keep the engine components hotter and avoid misfires.. Could possibley work with a small shot of co2 as a delivery method. I"m just blabbing though. Would take a lot more thought.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts