Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Running Hott

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  robertjr20 
#1 ·
Good day All,

we are new Juke owners. we have a 2012 SV. while my wife was waiting for me to get off of work. car started leaking coolant, from the bottom. drove to nearest auto parts store, changed thermostat on side of engine. put more coolant. and got 5m down the road and car ran really hot. so thermostat is changed, has coolant. any other ideas?

#2 ·
does it overheat only while sitting idle and when driving the temperature drops slightly? Or does it get hot and stay hot regardless if driving or idle?

If the latter, the thermostat might be bad (again). If the former, your water pump may have failed. Of course there still could be something else such as a coolant blockage, cracked hose, head gasket failure, etc.

#5 ·
Did you properly charge the system? If it has air you have to unplug it from the heater hose and flush the air out and fill it. Or it’ll keep running hot on short drives.

#6 ·
Air Bubble.

If not a bubble. it can happen. Bad thermostat.

#7 · (Edited)
@ Nismo offroad

Thanks for posting the procedure.

I typically run at idle and burp the system with the radiator cap off. Then refill the overflow and watch the levels carefully, topping off as necessary. Typically this'll solve the problem if there isn't a leak in the system. A pressure test would be warranted as the kits are cheap. Also, it's important to make sure the system can draw vacuum and pull the overflow coolant back into the system. If it can't again there may be a leak in the hoses or the overflow hose or cap is bad and can't hold a vacuum.

To the OP, don't keep driving the car this way if it keeps overheating. The Juke aren't too bad but my WRX STi was nearly impossible to purge the air during a coolant refill and it overheated something terrible. I would simply take it to a mechanic if you aren't comfortable or don't have the equipment.

Good luck.

#10 ·
How in the bejeesus does coolant get in to the CVT (I assume it's a CVT)? Nissan is trying to bend you over. As per previous responses it's most likely the water pump or bad t-stat (again) or fan isn't running.

#9 ·
Did they say How the coolant leaked into the transmission ?

#11 ·
Can coolant actually get into the CVT? The only place I can see that happening is the beehive cooler, but that would have to be a massive failure like a crack in it. At that point, you'd lose coolant or CVT fluid rather than have the two mix.

#13 ·
Yes, overflow first filled to min to start with. Then fill thru the cap when the engine is cold ONLY and then slowly while warming up until the thermostat opens, then close the cap when it overflows. This'll push some extra coolant into the overflow as the engine heats up and some air purge as well. Drive and cool down the vehicle and it'll self purge afterwards over a few drive cycles and refill as necessary the overflow tank. The Nissan service procedure is specific and I would follow it but generally this is how I do it though by no means is it the official procedure. The Juke isn't too bad to refill coolant. I'm testing a vacuum draw/coolant refill system I bought from Amazon. This avoids air getting in the cooling system but if your careful you can do it the way I explained. I'll report back but the vacuum draw/refill method is generally how the dealerships now do it. This procedure is always a little tricky as the cooling systems are extremely sensitive to air entrapment, go easy on the driving until the overflow bottle shows the level stabilizing.

#15 ·
Yes it has two. The upper one is located between the battery and the engine on the side of the cylinder head. The housing is held in my several 10mm bolts. The gasket must be replaced when removed, and both surfaces must be thoroughly cleaned to prevent leaks.

#16 ·
Good day All, we are new Juke owners. we have a 2012 SV. while my wife was waiting for me to get off of work. car started leaking coolant, from the bottom. drove to nearest auto parts store, changed thermostat on side of engine. put more coolant. and got 5m down the road and car ran really hot. so thermostat is changed, has coolant. any other ideas?
You have 2 thermostat the one on the top side then the one by the water pump you may need to change that one next

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.