Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day All,

we are new Juke owners. we have a 2012 SV. while my wife was waiting for me to get off of work. car started leaking coolant, from the bottom. drove to nearest auto parts store, changed thermostat on side of engine. put more coolant. and got 5m down the road and car ran really hot. so thermostat is changed, has coolant. any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2,125 Posts
does it overheat only while sitting idle and when driving the temperature drops slightly? Or does it get hot and stay hot regardless if driving or idle?

If the latter, the thermostat might be bad (again). If the former, your water pump may have failed. Of course there still could be something else such as a coolant blockage, cracked hose, head gasket failure, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it overheat only while sitting idle and when driving the temperature drops slightly? Or does it get hot and stay hot regardless if driving or idle?

If the latter, the thermostat might be bad (again). If the former, your water pump may have failed. Of course there still could be something else such as a coolant blockage, cracked hose, head gasket failure, etc.
When at idle runs great, 2m down the road and temperature shoots up

·
Registered
460 Posts
Did you properly charge the system? If it has air you have to unplug it from the heater hose and flush the air out and fill it. Or it’ll keep running hot on short drives.

·
Super Moderator
11,574 Posts
Air Bubble.

If not a bubble. it can happen. Bad thermostat.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
@ Nismo offroad

Thanks for posting the procedure.

I typically run at idle and burp the system with the radiator cap off. Then refill the overflow and watch the levels carefully, topping off as necessary. Typically this'll solve the problem if there isn't a leak in the system. A pressure test would be warranted as the kits are cheap. Also, it's important to make sure the system can draw vacuum and pull the overflow coolant back into the system. If it can't again there may be a leak in the hoses or the overflow hose or cap is bad and can't hold a vacuum.

To the OP, don't keep driving the car this way if it keeps overheating. The Juke aren't too bad but my WRX STi was nearly impossible to purge the air during a coolant refill and it overheated something terrible. I would simply take it to a mechanic if you aren't comfortable or don't have the equipment.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up taking it to Nissan. They diagnosed as coolant leaked into transmission $4,147. In repairs. That sucks. Now I’m waiting on extended warranty company to either approve the repairs or total loss the vehicle. Damages are more than 75% of the value of the car

·
Super Moderator
11,574 Posts
Did they say How the coolant leaked into the transmission ?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I ended up taking it to Nissan. They diagnosed as coolant leaked into transmission $4,147. In repairs. That sucks. Now I’m waiting on extended warranty company to either approve the repairs or total loss the vehicle. Damages are more than 75% of the value of the car
How in the bejeesus does coolant get in to the CVT (I assume it's a CVT)? Nissan is trying to bend you over. As per previous responses it's most likely the water pump or bad t-stat (again) or fan isn't running.

·
Super Moderator
2,125 Posts
Can coolant actually get into the CVT? The only place I can see that happening is the beehive cooler, but that would have to be a massive failure like a crack in it. At that point, you'd lose coolant or CVT fluid rather than have the two mix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts