Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that I have to travel from N.W. Ohio to S.E. Kentucky next week. I have read on this forum that the CVT is better suited to 35-50 mph and that highway speeds may cause it to overheat / go into limp mode.

What suggestions do you have to make this trip as painless as possible? Car has been maintained, and the CVT fluid was changed less than 3k miles ago.

·
Super Moderator
1,828 Posts
The CVT only has a problem when the fluid is old, worn, overheated, neglected, etc. Normal highway road trips and speeds will not just cause the CVT to go into limp mode. The fact you just had the fluid changed not too long ago will mean the fluid is in newer condition and can more easily transfer heat out of the CVT internals as well as provide good grip for the belt and pulleys. Long (many miles long) uphills, towing, and high heat (think desert or higher altitude) seem to be the factors other than old CVT fluid that contribute to limp mode.

I guess if you want to be safe, go get the fluid changed again. 1 drain and fill removes 4-5 qts of fluid. The whole CVT system including torque converter holds 9 qts. So 1 change changes about 50% of the fluid, and each successive change is another 50%. So theoretically 2 changes would be about 75% of the original fluid changed and 3 changes would be about 87.5% of the fluid changed out.

·
Registered
2013 Juke NISMO AWD CVT
40 Posts
Depends on the road trip in my experience. 8-9hrs of 70MPH+ will put me in limp mode every time. Once I hit flat road like Ohio and Michigan it won't, but in PA a highway trip up and down the mountains it def does. Largely depends on the grade and frequency of inclines, and traffic and how hard you accelerate as far as I've seen.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Your CVT is not going to go into limp mode because of a road trip. A couple of people with six figure transmission fluid have had trouble on long trips in hot climates. If you're worried about it, do a CVT drain and fill. This forum has multiple guides, I've even posted some.

·
Registered
2013 Juke NISMO AWD CVT
40 Posts
I'm not here to argue, but I have had the fluid changed twice in the 40k since I've owned it, and on the long trips I have taken this year it has gone into limp mode. Once I got to the flat Midwest it did not. I-80 through the PA mountains for a few hours at 70-80mph put me in limp mode multiple times... When it has been about 20k miles, it was going into limp mode daily on my 55mile commute up the turnpike. Thanks for the advice, but it has been done and has not solved the issue for more than a few weeks after the change, and long, hilly trips at highway speed throw it into limp regardless of how long it's been since the fluid exchange. It's been to dealer twice under CPO warranty and "nothing was wrong" and the 2nd time it went limp on the way home from the dealer. I also had a Nissan CVT in my 08 Sentra and that got trashed at 85k and replaced under CPO. It's a snowmobile tranny trying to move a multithousand pound vehicle at 2-3 times the speed... Great concept for aiding with economy and boost lag, but it's never going to last as long or take as much of a beating as a metal gear tranny.

Also, as I said multiple ways- this has been my experience- not necessarily yours or the average.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yeah the trans in this car is an absolute disaster-piece and I won't get into an argument with anyone over it because I'm not gonna waste the energy typing s***.

What you need is a cooler on it which is pretty annoying. My car has gone into limp mode with a built transmission that has a COOLER ON IT in almost near-identical situations you're explaining here. 100+ degree weather, 50 mile trip with a few big hills (all highway of course) and the trans cant handle it. By the way this is with fluid that has like 3k miles on it double drain and filled.

It's quite obvious the transmission in this car wasnt even designed for highway driving, just puttin' around some roads going no more than 65 mph.

Of course it doesn't help that we're seeing record breaking temperatures now too.

But yeah man sorry to hear you're having issues with it. Like i said, transmission cooler and if you're not willing to do that trade that car in........ seriously.

Edit: Also I should add that this almost certainly points to internal transmission wear causing extra friction and heat which is why changing the fluid out won't do s*** after a certain point. I bet you if you put a new transmission in it, you would be fine. This is one of the things people don't understand about this CVT is, it doesn't just poop out and stop working. The transmission will wear out slowly and stop working correctly whether it's shifting strange, shuddering, slipping at wide open throttle, being very laggy from a stop, overheating constantly etc etc.....

Source: Modded-ass car and already nuked a transmission once. Probably close to nuking my built transmission as well....

Reactions: Whoneedzaname

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I love these threads because I get to pop in, puff my chest and say I have 60k miles, changed fluid @ dealership at 38k. I've driven 18 hours back and forth from NC to IL with a 6x12 uhaul trailer. Back and forth 8hrs from NC to FL multiple times. 4 years living in FL, 4+ in NC (with mildly snowy winters). 2 juke meets (one was a 4 hour drive, each way).

I've got 18" KMC wheels, BFG rubber, full bolt-ons except DP and intercooler, no external cvt cooler, and a Visconti "stage 1" tune. AWD-V, all-the-time. I enjoy it when I drive.

I've never limped once. I did get some higher rpm sticking in the morning after a hard right out of the neighborhood into traffic for a couple days, which led to the fluid change. It's been 100% since.

I can't say that others haven't had their own experiences (good or bad). But it's not like every juke cvt breaks. I've owned my since it had 8 miles on the odometer. Maybe there is more unknown history behind some of these stories? Maybe the external CVT cooler is more problematic than not? Maybe the install introduces issues? Maybe people do neutral drops @ 5k rpms? Who knows... solar flares? But I don't believe they are inherently a flawed design or prone to failure.

·
Super Moderator
1,828 Posts
yeah I'm with Bargeld on this one. I have a nearly identical situation. 84k miles now, 2 drain and fills at a dealership (45k and 75k), owned since it had 2 miles on it, frequent midwest highway trips (WI is pretty hilly the further you get towards the middle of the state), though I've never towed anything... I am tuned, bolt-ons except DP and intercooler, no external CVT oil cooler, AWD-V, beat on it daily... never had limp mode. Maybe once at like 15k miles, but I think it was actually an overboost/fuel cutout condition.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I drive my car very... spiritedly, and even in lots of hilly terrain and on blistering hot days never have issues with limp mode. I always wondered if this wasn't a fluid level issue. People or techs will overfill the transmission and it causes consistent issues. It doesn't help that they seem to regularly come from the factory overfull and that most Nissan techs don't seem to understand the actual process to check fluid level.

Also saying the cvt is a "snowmobile transmission" is just a laughable misunderstanding of both this CVT specifically as well as CVTs in general. You could hang the car itself off a bridge with the steel belt, and the pulleys are massive, heavy duty assemblies. Most CVT failures are the result of auxiliary systems failing in the valve body, but Nissan policy is just to change the entire unit. The actual component pieces of the cvt if you see them in person are actually pretty impressive, it's not a bunch of dainty pieces.

I'm being literal here. You could dangle this car, probably two, from the belt. It's not a bicycle chain folks, it's a multilayered steel belt two inches thick.

Reactions: WeslyMKE

·
Registered
790 Posts
Gen2, Visconti tune, exhaust etc etc 5000+km road trip to the Yukon and back to Edmonton with a roof rack carrier luggage thing and not ONCE did the transmission even let me know it was 'tired' - I was hitting 140-160km/h for a few spirited spots and nothing. It's hilly driving to the Yukon through BC the only thing was once in a while when we would stop for a pee/smoke break the rad fan would continue running and that was about it. Oh ya, AWD-V 99% of the time and FWD when I want to blast around on straight city roads.

·
Registered
2013 Juke NISMO AWD CVT
40 Posts
So two of us have had them hit limp on highway speeds, on hilly roads in hot weather and some of us have had no issues. The Yukon, BC you may be gravy since it's not 100° there as was SlumberBunny's experience. Regardless of all this back and forth, the point is that there are jukes (and many other nissans- hence the service campaigns, warranty extensions and recalls) that have toasted their CVTs well under 100k. Manufacturers don't go through all the bad publicity and such of putting out these notices unless they know for sure there is a common enough occurrence of failure to warrant it. AGAIN, without shitting on anyone else's opinion- this has been my experience and clearly that of some others on this thread alone. Do they all fail? Hell no. Did I have 1 fail on me personally and do I have another on its way out currently? Hell yes. Facts. Period. Some fail from user error or bad/inconsistent maintenance, some fail bc the Techs overfill them (as they did mine at first) but some fail because they are inherently flawed from the blueprints to the factory line. Nissan knows it, so why are we debating it? Put your experience up without discounting the others and let the OP decide... 🤙

·
Registered
579 Posts
One thing I've learned, forums are the vocal minority however, there's damning evidence on this in multiple ways.

Nissan is failing as a company because when they merged with Renault they decided to forego quality to try to pump out the cheapest cars in the business.This is why any modern Nissan's build quality is as low as it gets.... they're right at the bottom along with Chevy in terms of how cheaply made their cars are. And that's not my opinion it's just a fact.

My mom has a 04 Armada she bought brand new off the lot, thing has 150k miles on it and she maintains it like crap and it still runs to this day with zero powertrain issues. (the interior is falling apart, all seals are worn out, windows motors have failed multiple times etc etc....). Nissan can pump out a quality car for sure.

But how are you going to deny all the evidence of how bad these transmission are? Nissan is practically going bankrupt in the US because no one is buying their cars. And the reason for that is word of mouth.

I mean s*, Nissan PULLED the Juke out of North America.... there's just nothing else to say about it really, say what you want but look at the evidence here is all I'm saying. And look at all the lawsuits and the warranty extension on this transmission. You don't do that if it's a quality automobile. They know they're gonna be paying out the a in warranties on these trans, but they're just trying to save future business.

Whatever though it's just a car anyway so who really cares at the end of the day lol

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
THREE of the top 10 cars to sit on Dealer lots the longest b4 they get sold are Nissans. Gee I wonder why.

I love my Juke but Nissan is just trash now. If they didnt have the Rogue. They would be gone.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Well said Mac....

I hear ya on that one. Love my Juke to death. Ugly as sin but unique and fun as hell when the thing is working properly

·
Registered
449 Posts
I believe it has been discussed that the majority of cvt juke owners are older women who drive 55-70mph on the highway and don’t go into limp mode. Most of us in the forum are performance minded and the minority in terms of how we drive. When you push the car to the limits it goes into territory beyond what the car was designed for. Doesn’t mean the design is flawed.

·
Super Moderator
1,828 Posts
uhhhh.... no. There's so much wrong with your generalization.

What has been discussed is the fact that neglecting service and the lack of maintenance causes failures.

·
Registered
449 Posts
All of the above

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke SV
27 Posts
I have a 2014 Juke SV and before I did any mods I drove non stop (except for fill ups) from central Texas to mid Montana (27 hrs straight ) avg speed 80-85 never limped once. I do stay on top of maintenance though. CVT every 30,000, full synthetic oil change every 6-7000 and I was driving on brand new tires. Oh and drove back non stop. 4 days later. ( then slept for 2 days)

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think it's a bit of both actually......

I mean think about it. I remember someone on here posted the actual JATCO model number for the transmission and found the operating specs of the trans on their website. Pretty sure it would be easy to find again but the gist was that the stock non-nismo/rs juke was already over the torque limit of the transmission by quite a lot (if i recall about 20-30 ft lb of torque).

So....Nissan mated this trans to an engine that was too powerful for it to begin with. However, obviously you're not operating the engine at that max torque at all times so most drivers of the Juke would be operating it well under the transmissions operating specs 98+% of the time.

The whole idea falls flat on its face when you get someone like me where I was literally flooring my car 50% of the time (don't drive like that anymore). Somehow never got a ticket or crashed in it once. But the inadequacies of the transmission are so obvious if you drive like that. I don't believe anyone on this forum REALLY romps on their car that much even when they say they do because if they did the trans would start showing signs of wear very quickly. I bet if you got a brand new juke with 0 miles and just autocrossed it on the weekends, bone stock you would probably nuke this glass trans in less than 20000 miles.(my bone stock car was already shuddering and showing CVT wear at about 10k miles from me driving it like I stole it)

Now take into account a tuned Juke. I'm not joking when I say there is no amount of maintenance that will save your transmission when you're tuned. You could change your fluid ever 5k miles and it would still nuke all the same. Unless you're purposely not driving it fast to "save the transmission" in which case BUY ANOTHER CAR. You're seriously gonna buy a car to mod and make fast..... and not drive it fast cause you're worried about it blowing up..... because Nissan is quality? Give me a f* break but I'm sorry that's just some flawed a* way of thinking.

This is why I'm an advocate for never modding a CVT. I have the experience on my car to know to not do it ever again. I even guinea pigged the Level 10 transmission (which still works to this day somehow) but question its actual reliability as people were having issues with, as was I and still am... and Level 10 doesn't even offer it anymore which is beyond questionable.

All the people that get mad at me saying these things that are people that have already put a lot of money into their cars so they feel personally attacked when I say this stuff and need to justify their investment...... but it's just the truth. I'm definitely up there in terms of money spent on this car out of all the people on this forum, and I love it and will continue to own it in the foreseeable future but doesn't mean I have to recommend it to anyone.

And by the way before anyone says anything, i was changing the CVT fluid annually on my car which is unacceptable by any modern cars standards of maintenance so to chalk the argument down to "dude just do maintenance on the trans often" is absurd. Imagine a salesman on the Nissan lot saying "oh yeah the car is great you just have to change the cvt fluid every 15000 miles and then it MIGHT not blow up on you". Those mofos wouldn't sell a single car lmfao

·
Registered
2013 Juke NISMO AWD CVT
40 Posts
I think it's a bit of both actually......

I mean think about it. I remember someone on here posted the actual JATCO model number for the transmission and found the operating specs of the trans on their website. Pretty sure it would be easy to find again but the gist was that the stock non-nismo/rs juke was already over the torque limit of the transmission by quite a lot (if i recall about 20-30 ft lb of torque).

So....Nissan mated this trans to an engine that was too powerful for it to begin with. However, obviously you're not operating the engine at that max torque at all times so most drivers of the Juke would be operating it well under the transmissions operating specs 98+% of the time.

The whole idea falls flat on its face when you get someone like me where I was literally flooring my car 50% of the time (don't drive like that anymore). Somehow never got a ticket or crashed in it once. But the inadequacies of the transmission are so obvious if you drive like that. I don't believe anyone on this forum REALLY romps on their car that much even when they say they do because if they did the trans would start showing signs of wear very quickly. I bet if you got a brand new juke with 0 miles and just autocrossed it on the weekends, bone stock you would probably nuke this glass trans in less than 20000 miles.(my bone stock car was already shuddering and showing CVT wear at about 10k miles from me driving it like I stole it)

Now take into account a tuned Juke. I'm not joking when I say there is no amount of maintenance that will save your transmission when you're tuned. You could change your fluid ever 5k miles and it would still nuke all the same. Unless you're purposely not driving it fast to "save the transmission" in which case BUY ANOTHER CAR. You're seriously gonna buy a car to mod and make fast..... and not drive it fast cause you're worried about it blowing up..... because Nissan is quality? Give me a f* break but I'm sorry that's just some flawed a* way of thinking.

This is why I'm an advocate for never modding a CVT. I have the experience on my car to know to not do it ever again. I even guinea pigged the Level 10 transmission (which still works to this day somehow) but question its actual reliability as people were having issues with, as was I and still am... and Level 10 doesn't even offer it anymore which is beyond questionable.

All the people that get mad at me saying these things that are people that have already put a lot of money into their cars so they feel personally attacked when I say this stuff and need to justify their investment...... but it's just the truth. I'm definitely up there in terms of money spent on this car out of all the people on this forum, and I love it and will continue to own it in the foreseeable future but doesn't mean I have to recommend it to anyone.

And by the way before anyone says anything, i was changing the CVT fluid annually on my car which is unacceptable by any modern cars standards of maintenance so to chalk the argument down to "dude just do maintenance on the trans often" is absurd. Imagine a salesman on the Nissan lot saying "oh yeah the car is great you just have to change the cvt fluid every 15000 miles and then it MIGHT not blow up on you". Those mofos wouldn't sell a single car lmfao
So much THIS! I'm in boost every time my foot is on the gas, so my CVT is floundering.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts