Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was super easy getting the axle out, from jacking car up to getting axle out, 20 minutes. Then I ran into a stubborn seal. I will be picking up a seal removal tool in the morning to make it easy, but my question is, does anybody put rtv on the seal, or lube it with oil? I saw on other makes forums that say rtv is required for there make.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
RTV shouldn't be needed, no. The seal is the RTV basically. It should be lubed up before install, and set at a specific depth. I used a slide hammer and jaws to remove it, and a bearing installer to install it. Transmission was off the car though.

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
No way rtv. Its an oil seal and that requires no rtv. Yes to putting cvt oil on it before install.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just returned from autozone. The only parts store around that "has my part" but it is the wrong size. Does anybody have a part number for this seal?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I have all of the old seal out? All the videos I can find I dont see that black rubber around the outside of the hole.

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
That looks good to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am having a hell of a time getting the correct seal for this. I eventually ended up at the local Nissan dealer, and the one they gave me doesnt seam to be the right one. They gave me part number 38342-3txoa and it seams a lot bigger then the one I took out. The only way this could be the correct one is if It gets pushed over the lip with the grove side of the seal going over the lip so the inside of the seal goes inside the hole, but the outside goes over the lip and buts up to the black rubber ring attached to the transfer case. Can anybody tell me if this is the correct seal and that is how it goes in, or provide me with the right part number. Even putting the old seal over the new seal has the old seal has a smaller diameter for the inside of the rubber part.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I’ll look into it. When I bought seals in the CVT Kits I could only use 3 out of the 4. The transfer case input shaft seal had to be ordered from the dealership cause of the AWD. I’ll look at my CVT build thread, I cover this in detail including th PN and all that.

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
So it looks like the new gaskets are too big ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right, the only way it could possibly fit is if the grove in the new seal goes over the lip around the hole, but That is not how the old one was, and I cant find one video online that shows ANY seal installed that way.

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
I would message Matt at Fast Religion and see what he says.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Will be doing a downpipe install soon and apparently I need to take off the CV axle so this was informative of something I might run into. Did you need to replace/drain he cvt fluid when took off the axle?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did it anyway only because barely any fluid came out when I took the axle out so I thought i lost so much I might as well drain and replace. I got the valvoline gear oil, and crush washers from napa, total $11, I bought the attwood oil pump made for boat lower units ( I will be able to use it again for my boat) from Walmart for under $5. That Wasnt hard to do, Use a #10 alan key, and a long pipe to turn it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am so bummed. It sat for two days with out a drop, and I took it for a ride today, and after it was leaking from the seal again. At least I know what the part number is.

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
I am so bummed. It sat for two days with out a drop, and I took it for a ride today, and after it was leaking from the seal again. At least I know what the part number is.
Well that sucks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a final update. I pulled the axle back out, and right away could see the rubber on the seal was ripped badly. I replaced the seal, and it is now leak free. Another thing for anybody else that decides to do this, there is an L shaped "cover" that goes over the axle. REMOVE IT. the first time I didnt and it made it so much harder. It is only held on by one bolt, and two screws. Also invest in a seal driver. I used the one from harbor freight for under $15 and it made a huge difference in how easily the seal goes in. If anybody has any questions, feel free to send me a message.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts