Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
the FSM is available online, just have to google it. You really have to dig for what you are looking for. There's also a good library on youtube on how to remove most engine parts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the FSM is available online, just have to google it. You really have to dig for what you are looking for. There's also a good library on youtube on how to remove most engine parts
Thanks Fast. Trying to figure out AC problems. Dealers quoting over $1000 to just get into it. No way

·
Registered
587 Posts
you need specialized equipment to diagnose AC issues, it is not something just anyone can do at home without investing in a few things. Also the Freon in the system is very very toxic and is not something to play around with at home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you need specialized equipment to diagnose AC issues, it is not something just anyone can do at home without investing in a few things. Also the Freon in the system is very very toxic and is not something to play around with at home.
I'm convinced that the components that control the AC are at issue. My AC will run great then some days it won't work when the car is at idle. Always ice cold as long as I'm driving. The dealer told me that it was the fan and quoted over $1000 to replace it as the entire front end of the car has to be removed to accomplish it. However, I can see the fan IS operating just won't kick into high speed SOMETIMES resulting in no AC at idle. I believe it is what controls the fan speed that has the issue. I just don't know where the controls for the fan are located and how to troubleshoot them

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
Links to the FSM are posted on this forum in the general discussion section

·
Registered
587 Posts
fan speed is controlled by the ECU. It is a two speed fan, low speed and high speed. If it has been diagnosed that the high speed controller is not working you have to replace the entire fan assembly with controller. You do not have to remove the front end to do the fan, but you do need to remove the intake manifold, battery tray, upper radiator hose, and ecu to get the fan out the top. It is a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I'm convinced that the components that control the AC are at issue. My AC will run great then some days it won't work when the car is at idle. Always ice cold as long as I'm driving. The dealer told me that it was the fan and quoted over $1000 to replace it as the entire front end of the car has to be removed to accomplish it. However, I can see the fan IS operating just won't kick into high speed SOMETIMES resulting in no AC at idle. I believe it is what controls the fan speed that has the issue. I just don't know where the controls for the fan are located and how to troubleshoot them
There is a way to test the cooling fan Lo/Hi function without doing much. I attached a PDF of the page in the FSM that has the instructions. The cooling fan is the last test in the operation sequence. Last week I used this to test my cooling fan, to find out it was not working unless you tap the motor.
BTW I replaced my fan with aftermarket $110 and wasn't to bad to replace (didn't have to drain coolant) just remove fascia, few lamps, upper radiator support brace and you can wiggle the old unit out.

Attachments

Reactions: squirtbrnr

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Links to the FSM are posted on this forum in the general discussion section

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a way to test the cooling fan Lo/Hi function without doing much. I attached a PDF of the page in the FSM that has the instructions. The cooling fan is the last test in the operation sequence. Last week I used this to test my cooling fan, to find out it was not working unless you tap the motor.
BTW I replaced my fan with aftermarket $110 and wasn't to bad to replace (didn't have to drain coolant) just remove fascia, few lamps, upper radiator support brace and you can wiggle the old unit out.
Thanks. I will give it a try

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I will give it a try
Thanks again RevUp. I just ran the diagnostic and the fan didn't come on at all. I have to say I was surprised because when I start the car the fan DOES run but as I said earlier, doesn't go into high speed. Do you think this confirms that the problem is the fan??

·
Super Moderator
1,769 Posts
There is a way to test the cooling fan Lo/Hi function without doing much. I attached a PDF of the page in the FSM that has the instructions. The cooling fan is the last test in the operation sequence.
That is so cool! I knew there were some self-test procedures but this makes me want to run out and test mine now that I know how easy it is.

·
Registered
587 Posts
that procedure just tells you if the idpm is sending the signal to the fans, it does not diagnose if the fans are working properly or not on the fan and wiring side of things. If there is a wiring or connector issue this will not tell you that. This simply tells you if the signal is getting to the fans from the IDPM and should not be the last step of diagnostics on the fan. If the fans do not run or only run at low/high you then need to check wiring continuity, check for signal at the fan wires per the fsm, and if you have a power probe, test the fan directly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks RevUp.
that procedure just tells you if the idpm is sending the signal to the fans, it does not diagnose if the fans are working properly or not on the fan and wiring side of things. If there is a wiring or connector issue this will not tell you that. This simply tells you if the signal is getting to the fans from the IDPM and should not be the last step of diagnostics on the fan. If the fans do not run or only run at low/high you then need to check wiring continuity, check for signal at the fan wires per the fsm, and if you have a power probe, test the fan directly.
I was just thinking about that. Mostly because I knew the fan was working on low speed when I started the car. If the fan was junk I don't think it would run at all. I will unplug the fan and verify that during the test I get power to that harness. One time I unplugged the fan then plugged it back in and the fan came on high speed. It worked perfectly for a while then started having the problem again. Tried it again this time but it didn't work. What is idpm?

·
Registered
587 Posts
It is the main relay and fuse control system in the car, located next to the battery. But if it worked when you unplugged it then plugged it back in you either have a wiring or plug issue. It could also be the fan itself, BUT you need to rule out harness first.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Thanks again RevUp. I just ran the diagnostic and the fan didn't come on at all. I have to say I was surprised because when I start the car the fan DOES run but as I said earlier, doesn't go into high speed. Do you think this confirms that the problem is the fan??
You definitely need more diag testing to figure out if its a wiring issue, fan controller or just the motor.
My situation on my juke was the fan wasn't running. So running this quick self-test let the fan kick on low/hi function without me having to apply direct power to the harness. I tapped the back of the fan motor with long screwdriver and it kicks on.

That is so cool! I knew there were some self-test procedures but this makes me want to run out and test mine now that I know how easy it is.
I know great little Easter egg, surprised how simple and helpfully it is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys, just wanted to update you. So I discovered that my fan will only run if I tap on it so for sure the fan is junk. I purchased a new fan online for $135 and installed it myself. Actually was pretty easy peasy. There is a video on Youtube where a guy shows you how to completely disassemble the front end in order to gain access to the fan. Was able to do it without draining the radiator. Took two hours but sure beat paying the dealer over $1000 to do the job. Thanks for all the input from the forum

·
Super Moderator
10,700 Posts
Oh now that is fantastic news. Thanks for the report back !!!

Reactions: Bobmoosh
1 - 18 of 18 Posts