Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to upgrade my brakes. I gave up on my NASCAR brake idea because the parts ended up being too bulky and the amount of spacing, trimming, grinding, and bracketry it would take to make them fit just didn't make sense (and just didn't seem safe). I wanted to be able to fit smaller wheels, so I decided to stick with stock sizes. My existing pads had plenty of wear left, but their was some rust on the rotors and the pads were starting to wear unevenly. There was a bit of noise from time to time. The guy I bought the car from had put top of the line Wagner pads on it (FF rated), which he was really proud of, saying they were an upgrade from stock, but I was never really impressed...

I planned on going with one of the more expensive performance brands, but wanted to do some research first, as there seems to be a lot of marketing BS out there. During this time, a friend with a 2003 Hyundai had brakes that just felt unsafely weak to me. So we replaced the front brakes on his car. I saw these Raybestos pads, they had claimed improvement, the friction rating was higher and the price was right. The improvement was immediately noticeable- quiet, smooth, but dramatically more braking power.

I did more research. Started looking into the friction ratings more. Looked at a few of the grassroots racing and more engineering-centric sites. I saw that many people who actually used the Raybestos EHT pads were big fans, often switching from respected brands like Akebono, Hawk and EBC. I was a little reluctant to put relatively cheap pads on the car, but everything I could find seemed to support my impressions from my friend's car.

I ordered up new pads and rotors. Front pads came with a GG friction rating, which is higher than stock, seen on some German performance cars and street/track pads. But the back was HH rated, which you rarely see outside of motorcycles, race cars, and a few six-figure supercars.

I put the rear on first, as I was taking my time, removing rust, painting the calipers, etc. While bedding them it, it was over-braking the rear. If you get these brake pads, do not just do the rear because it will mess up the brake balance. Then I put on the front pads. The difference in stopping power became definitely more powerful. I am clearly tire-limited now. It feels like the front still tends to lock up first, but the front/rear bias seems more balanced than stock. No noticeable dust yet. No noise and smooth modulation. Can't really comment on wear yet, but they seem to be doing well so far.

Overall, Raybestos reminds me of the Turtle Wax reviews. It is a brand my dad would have used, has had some product issues in the past, had some racing success but was kind of behind on technology for consumer products... and then they really stepped it up. I would not try their cheaper lines that I have heard mixed reviews on, but at the prices you can buy the Element3 EHT, they seem like a real performance bargain.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What category would these pads fall into? Or maybe what hawk pad would they be considered to be comparable to?

More digging and it looks like these might be comparable to hawk HP+ and HPS. Two pads that I like to run. I may just try these out as they are almost 1/3 the cost of the hawks. I do love the hawks, but the these are rated to be as good.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, it is hard to make a direct comparison. The two letters indicate warm and fairly hot friction coefficients or mu. Basically, that is how much stopping force you get from the same amount of clamping force. Very hot friction coefficient (where the rotors glow at 1000 F+) is not included, but few people drive their street cars that hard. As you can see, the ratings are ranges, so you have to compare ballparks. But going from FF to GG would increase friction coefficient by ~25% on average.

Looking at friction rating, you need to look at the actual rating on the pads. EBC, for example, talks about their GG rated YellowStuff compound in their marketing materials, but the Juke pads do not use that compound. I have never seen HH on conventional automotive street pads before, so I would assume that you will not beat that. As best I can tell, HPS are FF rated and HP+ are GG rated, so the HP+ would be the best comparison.

Of course, there are other aspects beyond stopping power. Pads compress somewhat, which will give some firmer braking feel. One of the people on the other forums switched from Hawk pads (not sure the model) to the Raybestos EHT and commented that the pedal did not feel as firm but stopping power improved. Some make more noise than others (haven't had any). Many pure ceramics will make less dust (I did notice slightly more dust when working on the suspension). Then you have wear, which I can not comment on yet personally.

At the price you can get these online at places like RockAuto, I would give them a shot. I was reluctant to go that cheap, but I could find no one who regretted switching on the other forums and I have been really impressed by the improvement so far.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts