Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 2012 Juke SL AWD, ~105k miles.

The stock muffler is rusted out and needing to be replaced, so I'm considering picking up the Injen SES1900 to replace it and the exhaust piping as it seems to be highly recommended for the Juke. My concern with it is the sound level. I'm having trouble finding an accurate gauge of how loud it will be vs stock. Different videos on YouTube seem hit or miss, even between the same/similar year/trim. I don't mind having it be a bit louder as a tradeoff for better performance and efficiency, but I'm definitely not looking to make my car sound like a Douchemobile Deluxe (essentially the audio version of truck nuts). Or a pissed-off bumblebee. So, for anyone who's done the swap, what's your take on it? Very loud? Buzzy?

Also, would replacing the downpipe be required, or only if I'm deleting the cat converter?

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
It will be a lot louder.

Just replace to stock

·
Super Moderator
1,573 Posts
The downpipe replaces the primary cat off the turbo. the second cat delete replaces the 2-3 foot piece of pipe containing the secondary cat between the downpipe and cat back exhaust. You do not have to do either of those pipes if you install the cat back exhaust. However, the cat back exhaust will just make your Juke rumble more without the benefit of performance gain because both catalytic converters are restricting exhaust. the cat back exhaust replaces the muffler and stock resonator section of the exhaust. it provides a nice rumble, but a noticeable drone in the cabin. removing the second cat increases this a bit more.

I have the second cat delete and cat back exhaust. from the outside, yes it's noticeable but a nice low pulse note and I can only hear it when I walk up to the car from behind or am within 50ft. Inside the cabin there's a slight drone at highway speeds but not so much at city street speeds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hrm, very good to know, thank you both.

Would there be a recommended muffler or resonator that would be better than stock but help with fuel efficiency? With the hole in the stock muffler I've picked up 50 extra miles per fill up, so I have to figure either the stock muffler was a poor design choice or something really went wrong with this particular muffler. Either way I'd like to try something different since I have the opportunity.

·
Super Moderator
1,573 Posts
To be honest, I think it's anecdotal or coincidence you saw a bump in fuel economy. Many factors such as ambient temperature, fuel grade and its age (was the gas station recently filled from a tanker or had it been sitting 2 weeks), driving environment/style affect efficiency and fuel economy. Even a 10mph wind will either hurt or help depending which direction it blows.

Correlation does not necessarily mean causation.

When I installed my exhaust setup I saw almost no improvement in fuel economy. In fact, it probably went down because I was enjoying it too much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
@squirtbrnr: I would've thought the same, except I'd been keeping a close eye on my gas mileage due to it going down some over the last year. When I got the Juke it would hit 250 miles per fill when running some Techron concentrate through it and driving conservatively. Lately a little past 200 and it was on fumes. Since the hole in the muffler I've had 3-4 fills, same gas I've been using (Top Tier Premium from Costco, which has such a high amount of business they get tanker refills every few days), same commute (~45mi/day, mixed city/hwy), same or similar driving conditions, nothing noticeably different except the noise from the muffler and it hitting 250+ miles per fill with no additive and me doing 80mph standard. I couldn't find anything else to explain such a large and consistent jump in gas mileage.

I'm not sure of the type muffler the stock is, but since the exhaust is exiting before completing it's run through it, I was thinking some of the baffling or packing may have warped or dislodged and was creating more of a block.

Besides the additional noise levels, for increased fuel efficiency for the Juke, would you recommend a chambered or turbo type of muffler? As I understand it straight through mufflers offer the best, but tend to be extremely loud.

·
Super Moderator
1,573 Posts
I've seen a couple members add a small compact muffler to the Injen setup to get the best of both worlds of open/larger diameter pipe and a quieter exhaust note. I'm sorry I don't know many more specifics but I know others have done it.

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
Best bet is to delete everything OEM in between the Muffler and turbo down pipe. That will give you a nice sound and no drone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been considering doing an overhaul on the entire exhaust (as money allows), but I don't want to completely do away with the cat converter. Was thinking of replacing the stock cat with a newer one, replacing all the pipes with larger ones for better exhaust flow, and using a more performance-oriented muffler. I haven't had the chance to look into a compact muffler plus Injen combo as Squirtbrnr suggested yet, but I had a second choice of a MagnaFlow 15489 cat-back kit ( MagnaFlow Nissan Juke Street Series Cat-Back Performance Exhaust Syste ) that would be a bit better than the stock setup, though the pipes are smaller than the Injen kit (2.25" vs 3").

I'm hoping to find a staggered plan where I can replace the muffler and related piping as soon as I can to fix the rusted out issue, then replace the cat and the engine/down pipes at a later date.

Realistically, I almost don't care what the exhaust sounds like, within reason (not obnoxiously loud, not buzzing/droning), so long as when I put the money into it I can get at least a little more HP/torque/fuel efficiency. In the form vs function argument, I'm heavy on the function side. Maybe next summer or fall installing the Injen short ram/cold air intakes to help out more on the other side of the engine. I just need to make sure whatever I go with that all the parts will fit the Juke and each other as needed.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Keep in mind that the ECU and turbo have the biggest effect on efficiency and performance changes. Normally, without getting an aftermarket tune, the ECU will fight against most performance mods to keep things within the stock parameters. So adding an intake or even an FMIC doesn't actually change performance directly. You will get cool noises and an fmic might let you maintain some cooler temps, but the ECU won't try to take advantage of any of the air & boost increases.

The exhaust is actually even less of a performance mod because the ECU doesn't measure anything from it, nor is there anything to adjust based on larger size or going catless, etc. Again, you will get cool noises, but since the oem exhaust doesn't have any real problems with flow and the ECU won't try to increase any exhaust flow, plus the fact it is a turbo so backpressure isn't a thing like on NA vehicles, you basically want as little backpressure as possible... buuut you already are at that limit with the oem exhaust.

Then there is the butt dyno effect where, because the car now sounds cool, you drive it like it's cool. And that kills your mpg as well.

End result is that performance mods without a tune aren't going to make any major/noticeable improvements in performance or efficiency. If that is your goal, then save your money or spend it on other mechanical areas that will give you actually improvements like lighter wheels, 2J pulley (debatable improvements). Or improve handling with spring/coilovers or go for safety with brake pads or upgraded kits.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ultimately I'm planning on getting an aftermarket tune for it, as it's something I've been looking at since I got the Juke, but unfortunately that's a ways off. There's a bunch of work/upgrades I want to do to it first before a tune would be useful, and there's no point it doing it half way or having to continually re-tune it.

In looking at springs/coilovers, I'm afraid that's prohibitively expensive for my needs and the way I drive. The 2J pulley is most definitely something I plan on getting as it's rather inexpensive for the potential performance gain it can provide.

The next time the Juke needs new brake pads I'm going to upgrade the pads/rotors/calipers to something performance-oriented (Evo/350Z type or similar). I'm considering the Power Stop Z26 all wheel kit ( https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A7088A0A0.aspx ), though I've not done a lot of research yet as the current brakes are in good shape. Even without driving in a manner that such brakes are made for, I figure it'll provide a solid bonus to safety and longevity.

I'm using decent tires currently, though at some point I need to replace the rims. The current stock rims are pretty wrecked. I was considering refinishing them, but it may be more cost effective in the long run to just replace with something lighter and professionally painted/powder coated.

Usually as soon as I get a surplus of funds something expensive somewhere blows up and I have to dump money into that (which I suppose is good timing, all things considered), so most of the time I have to do upgrades piecemeal as a part of normal repairs and maintenance. It's why that even though it'll not be a massive improvement, particularly w/o the tune, I'm leaning on getting an exhaust/muffler system that's a little a little better than stock so it'll contribute to the end goal.

Granted with my luck it'll probably need to be replaced again before then, but anyway. I do what I can when I can and work with what I've got.

·
Super Moderator
1,573 Posts
Ultimately I'm planning on getting an aftermarket tune for it, as it's something I've been looking at since I got the Juke, but unfortunately that's a ways off. There's a bunch of work/upgrades I want to do to it first before a tune would be useful, and there's no point it doing it half way or having to continually re-tune it.
You say that, however, the Juke benefits immensely from a tune even with stock parts. Yes you have to re-tune, but you'll enjoy it so much more. I did exactly what you are thinking of doing by doing the intake, then the exhaust, then the tune. Honestly, I should have done the tune first.

Do the tune, drive it, and enjoy it. Then add the exhaust, intake, intercooler, etc, and then re-tune once. You could maybe do the exhaust then tune if you wanted to wait a bit. The only times you have to re-tune immediately would be if you change the turbo, the wastegate spring pressure, or completely delete the catalytic converters.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Save money go 3” straight pipe and delete second cat only at this point. Cheapest route with greatest reward on sound. It’s not excessively loud either. I have had mine that way for years and sounds great. No rattle can effect at all. It makes it sound deeper. I personally couldn’t see a trade off with the price of cat backs for less sound. Honestly it could be louder but I’m not replacing the down pipe unless I swap turbos. Now I’m not tuned so I don’t know if that would make it louder as well. I had all that done for less than $250(?) just saying. Plus either way you go you need to pad you truck bc there’s NONE and you will notice inside. Seriously I’m AWD with 3” pipe up to second cat then I had someone cut that off. You will notice the difference in sound and butt Dyno for sure!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@squirtbrnr: Hmm, I hadn't realized a tune would have that big of a change w/o accompanying parts upgrades. I'll start checking around the local tune shops and get some quotes. I'll wait until after the exhaust is changed to have the tune done, as that is pressing and will be done sooner than later anyway. After I collect some other upgrades I'll have a second tune done down the road. Thanks muchly for the input!

@Nismo Offroad: I think I've settled on getting the 2JR Street Performance AWD 70mm Stainless Juke Catback with larger midpipe and resonator ( 2JR Street Performance AWD Juke Catback ). Although it would increase performance, I don't like the idea of deleting cats from the system. I'm environmentally conscious, and a reduction in toxic chemicals is good all around. Most of the pipes are 2.75", so it's close enough to 3". I'm not going for big sound output, so I'm focusing on the other performance metrics more. I kinda prefer running a more sleeper setup with my Juke. Looks mostly stock on the outside, police traps can't hear me coming from miles off before I can see them or pick them up on Waze, but when I need it I can put the pedal down. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,573 Posts
Here's an example of someone that did a different muffler to silence it a little. I don't think this would help with cabin drone because that comes from removing the upstream resonator and the second cat.

Aftermarket parts blow-out

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the Injen second cat delete pipe and catback installed last week on my used 2015 AWD Nismo and it is much louder than the 2JR catback that I had on my 2015 FWD Juke SV.
Especially inside the cabin but it does sound better with a a little burble.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts