Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:

A week ago I was driving and my Juke overheated. She started misfiring and wouldn't accelerate. Fortunately I was only about a mile and a half from home so I limped my way back. Changed the lower thermostat but haven't tackled the upper one yet (which I'm guessing is the culprit). Every day, first thing in the morning while driving around town, she will start to heat up after 3-5 miles of driving. I can watch the temp gauge start to rise toward the H region. AC will stop producing cold air. Typically, about two to three lines (on the gauge) before reaching the H region, I can watch the gauge drop back down to the normal temp zone and AC will produce cold air again. It will fluctuate up and down like that again for maybe four or five cycles then it will operate at normal temp for the rest of the day. One day when the gauge was up towards the H area I had to accelerate for some reason. The car revved to about 4k rpm and I literally watched the gauge plummet back down to the normal range. I can repeat this situation almost every time.

My guess is that the upper thermostat is sticking and with the rev of the engine coolant flow increases possibly forcing that thermostat open. Anyone agree with my logic? Was looking for any input on speculation of what is happening here. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
What is your coolant level at ?

What year Juke etc ?

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
It could have an air pocket and need to be bled. An air pocket will raise the temperature and then, when the water pump gets enough velocity, coolant will flow past the air pocket and drop the temperature. Try opening the cap and squeezing the hoses to see if any air bubbles out. Make sure the coolant is filled to the top. If replacing coolant, always add at the top point (with the pressurized cap), as the overflow reservoir is not at the highest point and will not remove any air.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could have an air pocket and need to be bled. An air pocket will raise the temperature and then, when the water pump gets enough velocity, coolant will flow past the air pocket and drop the temperature. Try opening the cap and squeezing the hoses to see if any air bubbles out. Make sure the coolant is filled to the top. If replacing coolant, always add at the top point (with the pressurized cap), as the overflow reservoir is not at the highest point and will not remove any air.
When I changed the lower thermostat I replaced all the coolant and I thought I did a thorough job but I will check it again. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts