Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you say that your overall maintenance cost of a Juke is lower than other cars of roughly equivalent purchase price ?

Is it a reliable vehicle overall that does not have very many repair related issues?

If you have had any major repair expenses (non-accident related) could you tell me what they are.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles on your Juke Turbo?

And what year/model?

Also what kind of climate do you have in your area - northern winter or southern sunny most of the year?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cars with crap quality break down within 12 months of being driven off the parking lot.

Just based on poking around forums here and beyond, the Juke does not seem to have very many issues - which suggests to me its of solid build.

2 to 3 years of trouble free operation as a commuter vehicle is a reasonable indicator of quality in my opinion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you want to get a good idea of the reliability - pick a couple of cars to compare and call around to get a price for the extended warranty those cars. The lower the warranty cost, the more reliable the car. The people who price out the extended warranties do some extensive research to make sure they won't lose money on that warranty (which is a type of insurance).

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I like Adam's suggestion... It reminds me of a time I was once told that you can get a general indication of the US economy by going to a large parking lot and taking a consensus of the tire conditions on the vehicles. If tires are bad overall... bad economy. When people have the money to spend, they tend to skimp on those necessities less.

I've had one recall performed for the rear seat mounts, and regular maintenance otherwise (oil changes, alignments with new tires, rotation and balance). 2012 SL AWD purchased in June '12 with 20k miles currently.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you don't have to pay for anything but regular/usual maintenance and it isn't "in the shop" for more than a few minor warranty repairs then it is a reliable and low maintenance vehicle. There are very few public reports of problems with the Juke, other than the faulty timing chain, which indicates so far so good.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Maintenance costs and repair costs are different things. Any AWD vehicle is going to have higher maintenance costs than a 2wd equivalent because there are more parts to maintain.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got a 2003 Subaru Impreza which has AWD on all the time and it has had zero maintenance required on it other than the usual brakes, fluids, belts, and tires services. The Juke does appear to have a more complicated AWD system which hasn't been in production/use as long as the one that Subaru uses but Nissan has a lot of experience with AWD in the GT-R which they've applied to the AWD in their other vehicles so it is probably very reliable. But, if there's a problem with the AWD it is costly to repair.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The maintenance is not very expensive. $20 oil change, tire rotation is probably the same for all cars. 30K service can be found at ~$350. Brakes and battery are more expensive than they were on my 2004 Sonata.

I have not had any out of the warranty repairs yet, but I had a few oil leaks fixed under warranty. A few trips to the dealer fixing gas cap and then gas leak. Going to have timing chain replaced soon. My gut feeling is that reliability is going to be lower than my old Hyundai. The build quality is definitely lower as the plastic panels in the cabin squeaked from day 1, but my old car was in the end of the production cycle and my Juke is probably in the first few dozens sold in California, so teething problems should be expected.

·
Registered
118 Posts
See this interesting article-- cars that cost you an arm and a leg:

Ford Focus -- has "high maintenance costs. Yearly, a Ford Focus owner will pay over $1,100 in fuel, maintenance and repair costs alone."

That's used as a baseline. Generally of course name brand makes have costs that would make you cry. My friend with an Alfa Romero, no longer would put up with oil changes at 3x the general cost--required to use Alfa Romero oil--unloaded the car.

Juke is not listed but Nissan Murano is: "the mid-sized SUV entry that has been a part of Nissan’s affordable and uber-popular lineup for generations. In a span of 10 years, a Nissan Murano owner can expect to pay close to $15,000 for maintenance and repairs. (With inflation, it is about what the Ford Focus costs; not bad for a better car.)

I have had my Juke for 9 years but have had no issues. I must say though it only has 65k because of living in the compact environment of Japan even though I commute to work daily. I use regular gas and oil change costs appear reasonable.
The 65k mileage seems enough for some confidence. Eventually though will a new timing chain replacement be relatively at a reasonable cost? Anyone know what it is today?

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Its not cheap thats for sure.

As long as you use synthetic and change it often. You should not have a problem.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Juke costs very little to maintain while under warranty. I've had (1) timing chain, fuel pressure sender fitting fixed, etc. Then just spark plugs, new summer tires, brake pads and rotors, engine oil/filter. That stuff costs little, probably $1500 total. I'm not counting the CVT issues I had, that's due to modification.

Biggest cost I had was fuel really, needing to run 93 octane all the time and the crazy bad fuel economy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts