Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Juke, Juke box? or Juke like the maneuver in American Football? Wonder if this is just to gear the car to a male target audience with the football reference or just somthing you really want to fill with speakers!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Unless she comes wired for sound? And by that i mean with my loaded iPOD docked and ready.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I wondered if someone said "you have got to be joking" when they saw the model for the first one and they changed it to Juke so they could market it? We just bought a 2012 this weekend and love it because it is different! Our other car is a Mini Cooper for some of the same reasons.

Lovin it so far but have not "named" it yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, loving ours too just because it's so different and radical looking in addition to the cool name. Also one sweet machine in technology, performance and handling.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So I wondered if someone said "you have got to be joking" when they saw the model for the first one and they changed it to Juke so they could market it? We just bought a 2012 this weekend and love it because it is different! Our other car is a Mini Cooper for some of the same reasons.

Lovin it so far but have not "named" it yet.
you may only have one post, but you're a level 50 thread necromancer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well Deke could be a good one being from Canada - it makes as much sense as Juke.
To Deke is: "To deceive (an opponent) in ice hockey by a fake: deked the goalie with a move from left to right. n. A fake, intended to deceive a member of an opposing team".

Ask any Canadian what deke means and they'll tell you as above. Here in the great white north of the US they look at you funny and say huh??? What's deke? How do you spell that.
Would have cost Nissan the same, four letters. Maybe they could have called it Deke in Canada and other Hockey focused countries...
Even my MS Word spell check doesn't know what deke is or juke for that matter.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Etymological origin:

1937, jook organ, from jook joint "roadhouse" (1935), Black English slang, from juke, joog "wicked, disorderly," [emphasis mine] in Gullah (the creolized English of the coastlands of South Carolina, Georgia, and northern Florida), probably from Wolof ["to live wickedly"] and Bambara dzug "unsavory." [emphasis mine] Said to have originated in central Florida (see "A Note on Juke," Florida Review, vol. VII, no. 3, spring 1938). The spelling with a -u- might represent a deliberate attempt to put distance between the word and its origins.

Online Etymology Dictionary

"bad, wicked, disorderly"
http://www.answers.com/topic/juke

"Middle English jowken ('bend')"
"probably alteration of English dialect jouk to cheat, deceive"
http://www.memidex.com/juke-joints

Lovin' my Sapphire Black Juke :D

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I think they meant it in the maneuver. Since it's light and quick.

And I honestly think Nissan just wanted a name that would stick out again competition. Like most of the time when I get asked what I drive, and I tell them, I get "A Juke? What's that?"

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
This article claims "The name Juke is supposed to suggest flitting around town, as a boxer might juke around the ring, and the Nissan Juke does just that." http://autos.aol.com/cars-Nissan-Juke-2013/expert-review/

I wondered if it had to do with Japan UK Europe. It was designed in the UK...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts