Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing a few things around that seem to indicate that Nissan is having a problem with "orange peeling" on the paint due to their paint processes.

Just commenting for now. Here's a sampling:

From a Consumer Reports forum:

I have had a 2010 Nissan Altima a little over a month and with one pertinent exception it seems to be a nice car. About a week after delivery I noticed that it had substantial orange peel on all body panels with the exception of the top, hood, and the top of the trunk . I had a discussion with the dealers service manager and he pointed out several Nissan vehicles with the same problem, most of them new. The body shop manager was also involved and among other things he said there was no practical solution
From another forum, referring to a Gt-R:

Washedir today and noticed what appears to be many tiny dents on my hood.Could those be just in the clearbra? I dot think a clearbra can dent so I'm worried it's the actual hood. I haven't hit anything or leaned the car so I'm shocked. Could they be due to the vbra? . . . they are very small and look almost like orange peel.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wonder if you can reject a car at the stage of inspection prior to accepting it because of an orange peel paint job? I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you should closely inspect any car you are fixing to buy, and that's one of the things I'd look for

·
Registered
296 Posts
I´ll be perfectly honest, I would have thought that the "orange peel" effect was a thing of the dim and distant past, not something found on a brand new Nissan vehicle.
Bearing in mind there appears to be a good demand for the Juke, are things being rushed??
Think back to the Toyota worries, demand hit a new high, where less than expert labour was allegedly used, to the detriment of many vehicles in their range?
They learned their lesson real quick!!!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see this mentioned by Pilgrim in this thread: http://www.jukeforums.com/forum/nissan-juke-general-discussion/117780-s-order.html

In fact while waiting for the franchise to open, I noticed a red one parked in the kerb, so I had a good look. One thing I noticed, there was a certain amount of orange peel effect all over the bodywork?? Not too bad, but there, all the same.
So, I'm wondering . . . where should you look/how to inspect for this problem, and should you reject a car for this since it's not fixable?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
an imperfection in the paint causing the finish to be stippled or pebbled. like an orange peel.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ah, thanks. So kind of like an over spray type of thing
No, overspray is a dulling of the paintwork in some areas, where excess paint has misted onto the body.
Orange peel effect is just what is says, when you look closely at the paint and maybe "shadow" your hand over it, you can see a sort of "mottling" similar to the skin of an orange.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
further research seems to show it's pretty common, not only on Nissans, but a lot of cars

·
Super Moderator
6,376 Posts
Can anyone with a Juke post pictures if they have the orange peel problem?

If anyone views a Juke and notices the orange peel effect, can they take a picture of it and post it?

When the Juke comes into my area, this is one of the first things I will look for.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A good example of why it is better to wait a couple of months and let early production problems be worked out. Paint problems are common on new models and the extra curves and bulges of the juke mean getting an even paint layer is harder to achieve. Sounds like they are going to have to slow down the painting and drying process.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Violet, I am sure you are correct!

There is no rubbing down between coats anymore, just many very thin coats that dry quickly and all automatically done of course.

I was at the dealership again today and noticed a slight mottling, although my wife just laughed at me and said I was nit-picking!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
further research seems to show it's pretty common, not only on Nissans, but a lot of cars
yep it's common and widespread, a friend of mine has a 2010 BMW M3 with some rather ugly orange peel in some places, that's a $100K (Canadian) car with paint imperfections:eek: he doesn't care as he's having the whole car wrapped, but i think it's disgusting

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is very easily fixed by a good detailer. Any car I get whether its brand new or used I always get my friend to detail it as soon as I pick it up. Even if the paint is brand new the paint will never ever be perfect from the factory as almost all cars with the exception of ones that are hand built like Ferrari. What happens is they don't polish and properly wet sand the car. Which takes a lot of time to do properly and thats the reason why they don't do it from the factory. Personally I wouldn't worry about orange peel because if you can afford to buy a new car you can afford a $300 detailing from a professional detailer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I didn't notice it on my Juke until last night when I stopped at the gas station and noticed it under the mercury lights. Note, you have to be very close to the car to see it. You can see the picture in my garage section.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't see any pics showing orange peel in your garage. What am I missing?

and to Juke-Guy: detailing a brand new car? seriously?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd really be interested in knowing whether this is a Nissan issue or a mass-production issue that is typical with all major manufacturers. My suspicion is that it is the latter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome to water based paint. Simply doesn't flow as smoothly and dries extremely fast. Thats what causes the orange peel.

I can't tell if its the base coat or the clear coat. If its the clear coat, it could be wet sanded. Too late if its the base coat. Anyway, the white pearl doesn't show it too badly. Our Cube had a same issue...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts