Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying thanks to all of you that have supported or been intruiged by my wacky idea.
For those that don't know, a while back... way back I thought after learning the Gen2 motors are crap as far as mods can go (ie: wastegate springs (solenoid controlled), MBC (not an option, solenoid controlled), etc etc) that I could somehow like I used to do back in the day on cruddy VW 1.8l motors fool the ECU using simple resistors and stuff. Well, the Gen2 Juke ECU is a pretty smart cookie. I think I'm smarter. I hope. Probably not, but we'll see.

I could in all honesty just use 3 tiny little resistors in between the boost pressure sensor wire and simply drop the voltage by 1, 2, 3++++ PSI but what's the fun in that. So I decided I am making a controller. A microcontroller here, a few wires there, a LOT of programming and bench testing and what have I come up with... :D

After buying a pressure pump (6 months ago?) I could finally get some actual voltage readings from the BPS (boost pressure sensor) and that got me all gitty. Next step was to analyze (anal eyes? Eww) all the data and what did I come up with? A totally linear EXACT number per PSI of boost that the BPS spits out. In addition to datalogging after my Ecutek tune all my findings were confirmed but I could not stop there...

Thanks to Keoke and Juklear for some kind R&D fundage I was able to obtain an exact Gen2 BPS so that I don't have to rip mine out of the car ever time I want to do something. Why does this matter? Well, I can spend way more time huddled in a tiny little dungeon working on my creation to make sure that every piece of info the BPS sends out I can read, translate and send back to the ECU like I was never there.

There are also, to date, 4 failsafes that I am putting in to this unit. You don't need to know them but if ANYTHING goes crack, snap, sizzle, burp, fart or boink with a connecter or unit itself system reverts right back to 'normal' (whatever normal is for you, stock, tuned whatever - my shizzle does not exist at that point). With only 3 simple resistors the system would be in a solid state (I mean, it is what it is, 2PSI we shall say) my gadget has 3 modes (hell, I'll do more if required) 1: Gauge only 2: Boost1 3:Boost2 you get it...

Beauty part to, is I got (again, like 6 months ago) all the parts needed to create the harness to go between connector and sensor so you don't even have to cut a single factory wire. God, I love me.
I will be posting pictures soon as I got my BPS yesterday in the mail and have just started playing with it and um, yup, numbers are bang on.... IT BEGINS!!!! (continues actually as it's already started).

Oh, and I hopefully have a hookup for some gauge housings (not pods, housings so this will fit in to a standard 2" pod as a single unit). Tee-hee.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
It's been a lot of fun watching your progress with this innovation. Also, the name? Perfection. Triple vowels don't F around. Do us proud, Sludge!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hopefully this is like Kickstarter and I get the early backer benefits. ��

·
Super Moderator
9,982 Posts
So it can only do 2 psi total ?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I think Sludge alluded to around 4PSI being the theoretical max gain in another thread. But hell, I'd be happy with 2.

So it can only do 2 psi total ?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In theory, I could bring it up to MAX 28PSI as that is what 5v out from the sensor would equal. My 2psi example was if I was only using simple resistors which would have ONLY a fixed output - no changes available or anything, my 'controller' can be fixed or 2 preset PSI gain levels. If Juklear wanted to add 10PSI I would make the unit GaugeOnly,5PSI,10PSI but that is also liability that I would not take so it would be totally on the user/person. This unit ONLY fools the ECU for boost level and does not monitor anything else like AFR so I would think anything over 5PSI would most likely need some kind of a tune adjustment but who knows yet :D

·
Registered
670 Posts
This is the display I will be using, it's an amazing 1.3" so it fits perfectly in a gauge housing.

My first prototype was built using this board, it's still small but really large by comparison

I have been using this unit which is much smaller but the processing power isn't the best...

This little guy, is the one I really want to use. It's really small, SUPER powerful but it doesn't deal with 5v signals damnit so I may have to jiggy some stuff if I do use it, don't know.

Couple of prototype display shots (not the screen I will be using, this is a bigger 1.8" lcd not oled :D

The two gauge shots are 'gauge only' mode examples that 22 could be 30 if we wanted, s'all good.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,982 Posts
Thats Awesome !!!

I would think once you have a Visconti tune to lets say 15psi. You could prolly run maybe 3 or 4 more psi.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats Awesome !!!

I would think once you have a Visconti tune to lets say 15psi. You could prolly run maybe 3 or 4 more psi.
By my calcs, my tune is 18.5+PSI based on pressure sensor voltage & bar (map,ap,boost) readings. 18.5! I'm cool with that.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully this is like Kickstarter and I get the early backer benefits. ��
See what I can work out for ya :vs_closedeyes::vs_lol: Honestly still have like a day or two or three of figuring out wtf this thing will actually cost me to build (like, zero markup, what it costs) between parts and parts and parts more parts, pieces, parts, fabricating (not even counting my labour, and ya, I'm not cheap :D)… I figure a gauge unit will cost between $1 and $25,000 (Canadian, so it's cheaper for you 'mercans).

·
Super Moderator
3,900 Posts
See what I can work out for ya :vs_closedeyes::vs_lol: Honestly still have like a day or two or three of figuring out wtf this thing will actually cost me to build (like, zero markup, what it costs) between parts and parts and parts more parts, pieces, parts, fabricating (not even counting my labour, and ya, I'm not cheap :D)… I figure a gauge unit will cost between $1 and $25,000 (Canadian, so it's cheaper for you 'mercans).
Now you sound like the drug companies

·
Super Moderator
9,982 Posts
18.5-19 psi is perfect. I just remembered that my tuner said my 2 top maps were the same tune. Just more psi. 19psi, and 21psi. I have a milder 18psi "DD" tune. Don't use it. Lol... But yeah as long as the tune is set and you are already around 16. 19 should be good. You can certainly feel 3psi too. Don't quote me that it's safe. Haha. These turbo housings lose efficiency at around 5800-6200rpm and 20psi to 22psi anyway. So hit 20psi and call it a win for Gen2 performance. The slightly smaller turbo and higher compression motor. She should have more torque than gen1.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
985 Posts
I would like 2/4 psi if we get to choose.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Same. I would be ecstatic to get 18-18.5 and and then something a little lighter for the commute.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would like 2/4 psi if we get to choose.
The choice is limitless. .5-28 up to you :D

Same. I would be ecstatic to get 18-18.5 and and then something a little lighter for the commute.
Again, by my actual BPS in my car I'm almost 19PSI (going to install my boost gauge right in to the pipe where the BPS is just before the throttle body so I can see a pressure not just what the sensor sees, but sensor is seeing almost 19). Ho-lee-crap.
The way this will all work, once again, for now with a 3 mode is Gauge(off), Level1, Level2. It (at this time) has no way (just like Jukey with the D-Mode setting) of remembering your last setting so every time you start the car it will be 'off' guess that's a good safety thing too by default.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Function over form and user interface! Your ground-floor investors will surely get VIP access right?

Also. You havent mentioned much performance wise since your corrected tune. You are successfully pulling off 19psi on your working beta? How's it drive? Any comparative analysis versus stock/tuned?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Function over form and user interface! Your ground-floor investors will surely get VIP access right?

Also. You havent mentioned much performance wise since your corrected tune. You are successfully pulling off 19psi on your working beta? How's it drive? Any comparative analysis versus stock/tuned?
Think you're misunderstanding me here. ONLY thing I have done so far is my tune. Nothing else. My datalog shows my sensor spitting out almost 4v (3.95) which is almost 19PSI - that's what the sensor is telling me my PSI is. No other controllers, nada. Simple tune - hence why I'm going to be drilling and tapping a bung in to the IC pipe just before the throttle body for my boost gauge to read (just to be sure).

I'm still tweaking the programming for the controller as when you're dealing with 1psi=0.11111volt gets sticky quickly.
Also, my potential hookup for gauge housings fell through and now I have nothing :(

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh and of course, if all else fails and I can't (right now) make it a 'gauge pod' style/size, I'll simply use a little box with a knob on it with a 1,2,3 position and keep it simple... still have to see about gauge housings

·
Super Moderator
9,982 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 93 Posts