Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FWD is kinda Garbo in lake effect snow! Lmao

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Where are you? We got stuck in the those lake effect storms coming back to Canada on I-81 many times, pretty much always Binghamton - Syracuse - Watertown area.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where are you? We got stuck in the those lake effect storms coming back to Canada on I-81 many times, pretty much always Binghamton - Syracuse - Watertown area.
Exactly, Watertown area. It’s bad out here rn.

Reactions: Zuke Duke

·
Registered
95 Posts
Whole Western/Northern NY is a S-Show with that lake effect.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just got our first real snowfall here in southern Ontario and I can agree the FWD Juke is not a snow car if you leave TC on. I've found it will just stall my Nismo if I leave it on trying to get moving in snow.

·
Administrator
11,913 Posts
Just got our first real snowfall here in southern Ontario and I can agree the FWD Juke is not a snow car if you leave TC on. I've found it will just stall my Nismo if I leave it on trying to get moving in snow.
Good to know

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely true. Although the eco mode seems to help in the snow. It’s what I ideally drive in. I felt kinda bad because my wife’s rav4 just pulled itself out of the snow while my car is stuck. 😂

·
Registered
121 Posts
Definitely true. Although the eco mode seems to help in the snow. It’s what I ideally drive in. I felt kinda bad because my wife’s rav4 just pulled itself out of the snow while my car is stuck. 😂
changing modes hasn't helped me much, I was turning around on a street the other day and after backing up I couldn't go forward at all. I ended up having to turn TC off and do a 3rd gear rolling burnout to start moving at all :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
107 Posts
My RS awd with winter tires pulls smartly away from a green light in V mode. I don't give it much gas. And it doesn't fishtail around like most others do trying to get going from a light. I was frankly surprised at how good it is in a snowstorm. I just don't want to push the limit and be too overconfident.

A problem I could see would be the CVT overheating from too much wheelspin if caught in a snowbank.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yes eco mode helps bc the pedal reaponse is slower so less chance to spin your wheels and dig yourself in. I lived in Syracuse for a few years. I feel your lake effect snow pain. That’s when i learned that ‘bone chilling cold’ was a real thing.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes eco mode helps bc the pedal reaponse is slower so less chance to spin your wheels and dig yourself in. I lived in Syracuse for a few years. I feel your lake effect snow pain. That’s when i learned that ‘bone chilling cold’ was a real thing.
exactly. I was dug in too. The Neighbor had to come over and help me dig it out. At that moment I had to give up my darkest secret. He said “I thought this was AWD?”. At that moment I knew I had been made. I had to reply “No... it’s fwd.” 🥲

·
Administrator
11,913 Posts
Snow tires and FWD work very well. Studs if they are allowed in NY are amazing too.

Reactions: 14RSINLI

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I would assume that all of us on this thread with FWD have snow tires. I am going into my 6th winter with a FWD Juke. With snow tires and in comparison with my previous FWD cars, I would say that the Juke is merely average or a little below average.

It seems to get hung up in deep snow quite easily and likes to spin from a standstill in several conditions and surface grades.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
@Macgyver those snow tires I picked up worked surprisingly well. We didn't get a ton of snow here in Queens, but it was hard packed like ice. AWD and snow tires got me around effortlessly what had the Subaru ahead of me stuck.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just two cents from a random guy- driving in Queens, Long Island, Syracuse, Pennsylvania for over 20 years always drove FWD with all season tires. Never used snow tires. And i drove through some bad storms. Good all season tires do the job. Obviously if you drive through 2 feet of unpaved snow on roads you can get stuck but who does that if ever. Have I gotten stuck, yes mostly trying to park or getting out of a spot with waist deep snow. But driving never got stuck.

Reactions: Michael919

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Just two cents from a random guy- driving in Queens, Long Island, Syracuse, Pennsylvania for over 20 years always drove FWD with all season tires. Never used snow tires.
Know alot of people who never had snow tires than tried them for the first time and than there is no going back. Traction is night and day. The biggest difference between AS and snow tires is in turning and stopping. Being able to turn without sliding and the stopping distance with snow tires vs AS on ice or snow is a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Just two cents from a random guy- driving in Queens, Long Island, Syracuse, Pennsylvania for over 20 years always drove FWD with all season tires. Never used snow tires. And i drove through some bad storms. Good all season tires do the job. Obviously if you drive through 2 feet of unpaved snow on roads you can get stuck but who does that if ever. Have I gotten stuck, yes mostly trying to park or getting out of a spot with waist deep snow. But driving never got stuck.
I was you about 15 years ago, but up here in the great white north. Our parents were the same way.

We decided to try snow tires when we had young children. Night and day difference. No comparison. Yes, we got on ok without them for 20+ years, but if we could go back knowing what we do now, we would have driven on snows.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Definitely in Canada I agree 100% but anywhere lower than vermont/buffalo NY all season tires suffice: i am not debating that snow tires are superior, its just that if you drive carefully you can manage turns and stopping on time on all seasons. I never got into an accident in the snow (knock on wood).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts