Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All!

I've posted this on a few forums so far and haven't gotten much of a response. So for those that hop from forum to forum, my apologies if you've seen this already!

(btw I do have pictures but since I'm new to the forum, I'm not allowed to link to photobucket yet.)

I'm from northern CA and we've been having a lot of rain lately. Yesterday when I was going out to run some errands, a big whoosh of water started dripping uncontrollably from an area right above the brake pedal. It was enough to soak through the material in my sandals and I was actually really startled by it! I wasn't sure if it was water or some kind of car fluid ??

I took the car to Nissan right after it happened and was told that the "drain plug" was supposed to be removed before the car was sold, but it wasn't, which caused a back up into the car.

Fine. I accept that.

Until this morning, even MORE water gushed out from the area above the break - after said plug was removed - and now they are at a loss as to what it could be. I brought the car back into the dealership again to have it tested for a leak. The service department said they couldn't find it and would have to call Nissan engineers.

I am incredibly worried about safety issues with the water dumping all over my feet while driving but because our local rent-a-car places are closed after 5, Nissan couldn't provide me with a rental vehicle. So I'm driving around in the water wagon. Once I got home, I needed to put something in my trunk and noticed the inside of the cabin is now leaking as well :(:(:(

I really don't know what I can do but I'm worried about possible damage that is being done to the car. Plus, we're expecting another rain storm tonight and I don't have a garage. There was talk about being compensated by Nissan, just tell them what I want, etc etc etc but I don't even know what's reasonable to ask for. I have spent about 6 hours dealing with this since yesterday and more to come in the near future.

I know you're not all Nissan engineers but do you have any idea what on earth could possibly cause water to dump on my feet inside the cabin?? Any suggestions as to what a reasonable compensation would be? Right now, I don't even feel safe driving it. The first time it happened, there was so much water coming down that my foot slipped off the brake. Here are pictures of what I could get so far. I took a video of it leaking all over my foot but it was towards the end of initial dump. So I took screen shots of the video instead of uploading the video with my screaming in it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
That is a bummer. Subaru had some bad leaking problems like this a while back and it was caused by missing or improperly installed seals. It probably will take them some time to get the leak found since there isn't much room to poke around up front. Where is the water coming from in back? The roof?

Our Juke is water tight thank goodness. If it was going to leak it would have done it by now, I'm sure. I'm obsessive about washing the underbody and have hit it with high pressure water spray from every angle at length. Never leaked a drop from anywhere.

Hope they get it sorted soon. I would assume all damages cause by the water would be replaced by Nissan under warranty. Not sure if you could "cash in" on this in any way. I'm not really good at that sort of thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It probably will take them some time to get the leak found since there isn't much room to poke around up front. Where is the water coming from in back? The roof?
It must be coming from the roof although I can only visually see that it has soaked through the cloth near the top of the back seat, seatbelt.

A picture would be much easier but the signs of water damage are where the plastic portion that the seatbelt comes out of, meets the cloth. I kinda wedged my fingers behind it and it's really wet behind that plastic piece.

Luckily, I bought it from one of highest rated Nissans in the bay area and they are pretty frantic about making the situation right! They've asked me what I want in terms of a monetary compensation and I was pretty much like :confused:

My main concern is that I'm essentially driving a very dangerous car right now; I question the dealerships true concern about me because of this haha. I mean, who practically forces a customer to take home a car that dumps water all over the pedals!? And I say "force" because they didn't bother to call for a rental before they all left for the day, then told me all of the near-by rent a cars were closed, then said the shuttle driver has left too so they couldn't take me to BART (our public transportation).

The service guys = not helpful. The dealership in general = concerned about their ratings because they know I haven't filled out my satisfaction card yet.

Hoping for no significant water damage but it sucks being uneasy about driving your own car :(

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well, it sounds like they're wanting to make things right. Monetary compensation sounds nice, but a fix sounds even nicer along with a rental in the mean time. Hope it doesn't take too long. I spent a number of years doing technical work and I sure hope one of the Nissan engineers knows in what direction to point your service guys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just say that you want your compensation to be a water-tight Juke! Whether it's the one you have or a different one, you want one that doesn't leak! (Say you want new carpets too)
If the dealership sees an easier way out than just giving you a bunch of cash, they'd probably take it and be happy.

·
Registered
849 Posts
My guest is that a seal around the moonroof isn't sealing properly. If you're saying there appears to be water damage/evidence up higher on the roof, it coudl be entering around the moonroof and then running down the A-pillar. Have you been able to duplicate the problem with a hose or something? Trying running water over specific sections one at a time. Try the moon roof, and also run lots of water over the cowl (piece the wiper arms come through).

·
Registered
112 Posts
OMG it was bad luck.
require a like JUKE that you have now from the seller and return your JUKE if it is possible that will happen otherwise also.
in Sweden it is entitled to the car switched on the error happens three times in six months.
but do not know what is car purchases condition in other countries.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm liking Jersey Devil's Idea. If you still can't duplicate it with that, definitely keep your video camera handy. It may be your only proof to get some kind of resolution

·
Registered
60 Posts
My Juke does the same thing.. But only happens when I am driving threw a car wash. What I've observed is when I get to the part where the blowers force air onto the car I feel water on my feet. I think the water is coming in through the vevtilation system via the vents located where the windshield wipers attach. Not sure how ? But when I get to that point the water is not dripping but being blown onto my feet.
I really did not think much about it thinking the chances of nature being able to recreate that scenario was very rare.. And we have had a lot of rain here lately and it only happens while at a car wash.
Glad I am not the only one this happens too..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're saying there appears to be water damage/evidence up higher on the roof, it coudl be entering around the moonroof and then running down the A-pillar.
Funny, when I brought in the car, the tech was almost certain that was the cause of the leak but at that time the only leak I knew of was coming in from under the steering wheel and above the brake.

But apparently they ran water for two hours and did all their testing but nothing was conclusive. And then when I took the juke home, I noticed the leak higher in the roof, on the drivers side back seat. I personally haven't tried any experiments because I'm sort of nervous to...I don't want to saturate the car any more than it needs to be before Nissan tech gets to look at it. Then again, I am very curious as to what is going on!

JukeJim, that is so crazy that water is being blown in to the car from the car wash! My guess is that its little drops of water and nothing substantial though? Either way, I would be so angry!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
also in Sweden it is entitled to the car switched on the error happens three times in six months but do not know what is car purchases condition in other countries.
California has a similar thing called the Lemon Law. I was looking over some of the details yesterday and I had a couple questions about it.

First, the law states that it needs to be "tendered for repair" at least 2 times for a serious safety problem. Do you guys think this would qualify as a serious issue? To me, of course it would but it's not like the car almost blew up or anything...

Second, does the car have to be diagnosed and then said to be fixed, in order for it to count as 1 strike? Right now, I have paperwork showing that it was turned in to Nissan, fixed, and then the car returned to me. Then the problem happened again and it was inconclusive.

So does that count as once or twice?? *sigh* I love my Juke and feel like I got a great deal on it! I hope they can fix the problem soon and/or put me in a similar one with no leaking issues.

As soon as I hit 10 posts I'll put the pictures up.

*edit: hit 10 posts! Here are the pics:

·
Registered
849 Posts
I just went out and looked at my Juke. It seems to me there are only two possible ways you could get water above the drivers seat belt like that.

1: The moon roof is leaking. There should be a drain build into the moonroof to handle any water entering. This drain tube may be clogged or damaged allowing water to enter the car instead of run down the B-pillar and exit below the vehicle.

2: The gutter has a platic strip layed over it. I didn't play with mine, but it's possible there are anchor points for this platic piece that are leaking allowing water into the vehicle. This would likely be a minor leak and not present the gush of water you are experiencing by you feet.

Regarding the feet problem. The piece under the cowl is like a bath tub. It's deep, has high sides and should have a high side on the blower motor inlet area. There should also be a drain in there to allow water to exit. Water in this area is expected and unavoidable as there are vents to allow air to enter. The design of the cowl looks like it would actually funnel large amounts of water into the "bath tub". If the drains in this area are damaged or plugged you'll get that gush of water you are experiencing. The water will build up until if fills the "tub" at which point it will enter through the HVAC system. This is pretty much a standard design on most vehicles. I've not pulled the cowl off the Juke to see exactly what's in there.

What circumstances seem to trigger the gush? Acceleration? Braking? Left or right turns? If it just happens when sitting still I'm not sure what to say, if it happens only during driving then it seems likely you're getting a build of water and movement in a certain direction is causing the water to rise over the edges of the "tub".

·
Registered
849 Posts
Also. Do you hear any type of sloshing noise like there is water built up anywhere?

Try takign it for a drive (when it's wet) with the radio off. Drive slow and make deliberate hard turns (when it's safe to do so) and see if you hear water movement or get the undesired effect of wet feet. Try this also during braking and acceleration. If you can find a set of variables that help to produce the effect it will help your service department isolate the problem and hopefully fix it.

I would also definately consider water empting on the brake pedals a serious safety issue and you should be able to apply the lemon law. You Nissan supplement to the warrenty manual has all the detailed information in it regarding the lemon law broken down by each state. Have a look at it and make sure you start documenting things. Keep those video's, and photos. BY the new jersey law, your dealership is at strike one, they have two more chances to fix the issue (or if the issue has persisted for 30 days) and then you can apply the lemon law. Your state may be different.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What circumstances seem to trigger the gush? Acceleration? Braking? Left or right turns? If it just happens when sitting still I'm not sure what to say, if it happens only during driving then it seems likely you're getting a build of water and movement in a certain direction is causing the water to rise over the edges of the "tub".
First, thanks for all the info! Pressing on the brake is the only thing that seems to trigger the gush so far. The first time I felt it was after slowing down at the end of my street to turn onto a cross street. I was traveling at most 4 mph (I basically made a 3 point turn, drove about 5 feet, slowed down to check for cars and WOOSH).

The second time, I backed up at 2mph so that I could pull out of a parking spot and a huge gush of water came spilling on to my feet completely soaking my ankles/feet and shoes.

The third time, same thing! Backed up at a few miles per hour from park and an even bigger flood of water spilled out. It makes sense that water would spill if I was making turns or coming to a quick stop but it really seems like just pressing the break lightly triggers it to spill out.

Luckily the last time, the dealer had put that white paper mat in there since it had just been serviced for this problem; it was surprisingly absorbent. I haven't noticed any sounds of water building up but I'll try to really focus on listening for it next time!

About the lemon law: if it was seen once and then "fixed." Seen again, and it went undiagnosed with the intent to call Nissan Tech, that wouldn't count as 2? To be honest, I'd love to keep this Juke! I got such a good deal on it but I'm also really concerned about safety...

·
Registered
849 Posts
MY understanding of the lemon law (at least for NJ) is that the deal has to attempt the fix. Them just looking at it and calling Nissan for help doesn't qualify as attempting to fix.

Basically, they need to return the car to you to drive away saying the corrected the problem three times.

Now, since the said the corrected the issue once already, and you brought it back the second time, they now have 30 days to correct the issue or you can file under the lemon law.

Again, this is all NJ law, each state's laws will differ some.

·
Registered
119 Posts
sounds like one of the sunroof drains was not hooked up to the fitting that directs the water out and under the car from the sunroof drains. there are 4 drain tubes, one on each corner, i have seen this problem in one or two cars, not common, but sounds like your issue. these tubes are hard to get to and most techs dont think to check, or dont want to because they wont make much on this warranty complaint. insist that your service writer has the tech check those tubes. i have also seen them kinked allowing water to build up in the track and damage the headliner if it overflows. hope this helps

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just don't understand if she has all those pics and shows the dealership, why they haven't done anything. That's all the proof you need. It's obvious there is a leak somewhere in that vehicle. I would be raising all kinds a hell and if they didn't want to do anything, contact customer service and send the pics there. Trust me, somebody will pay attention

·
Registered
38 Posts
sounds like a motion pushing the water to the front of the car(braking for a stop, or going in reverse from a parking spot)is causing the water to flow forward and dump onto your feet, not too sure why there would be water pooling somewhere in there other than a clogged drain tube. Can you guess how much water this is? Enough to fill a Coke can? Any electrical issues?

I personally would look up a lemon law attorney in the yellow pages and give them a call to let them hear your situation and determine whether or not you have a case.
I'd also demand a new car from Nissan(the next higher trim level if possible). I think it's too risky to be driving it. Just think if you were on the interstate and traffic suddenly came to a stop and you slammed the brake and water came pouring out and caused your foot to slip off the pedal causing you to rear end someone at speed!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If they repair it they also need to clean it good or there might be mold growth.
I was just going to mention the possible mold issues as well. I guess from my point, you spent your hard earned money to buy a car, not any car mind you but a Nissan Juke. As it is brand new, there should be NO reason for it to have water leaking inside the vehicle. I would take the pictures to the dealer and demand a NEW one, not to have it fixed as it may never be the same, but a new one.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts