Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and a new juke owner.
This is the first real new car I have ever owned that wasnt pre-1995
This thing has many bells and whistles and things I am not used to.
I hope this site and many of you can help me out to answer some questions.
The first and biggest question I have is lighting and bulbs and voltage ect.
I want to change out all the standard lights interior/exterior from the basic to LED.
I am noticing that all LED bulbs that "supposedly" work for this car are a higher voltage than what the Nissan book says it needs.
Does LED voltage watts really matter compared to what the book calls for?
I want to make sure I am buying the right thing and dont want to mess up the car or blow anything.
Also when it comes to LED headlights I see some with and some without a "brainbox" as they call it.
Can anyone explain how that works or if that matters?
I am new to all of this stuff. Any help or points in the right directions would be great.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,125 Posts
Welcome to the forums. There are a number of websites that offer the LED retrofit equivalent of the OEM bulb. The “brainbox” as you call it, is because some cars require extra circuitry in the bulb to identify a burnt out bulb. These might be called “CANBUS compliant” or mention CANBUS. The Juke does not require these bulbs. However, the Juke turn signals (front and rear) require a resistor in parallel to the LED bulb. The Juke uses the high resistance of a burnt out bulb (effectively an open circuit) to detect the burnt out bulb and then goes into a “hyper flash” mode to indicate you have a burnt out bulb. Some LED retrofit bulbs have this resistor built in, some places offer it as an add-on that you have to tap into the factory wiring for. As for the rest of the lights (side markers, interior, brakes) you can swap those for LED without any issue. Do not swap LED into your headlights, the Juke does not have the correct housing or lens for LEDs.

there’s plenty more information out on this forum, just search for LED replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums. There are a number of websites that offer the LED retrofit equivalent of the OEM bulb. The “brainbox” as you call it, is because some cars require extra circuitry in the bulb to identify a burnt out bulb. These might be called “CANBUS compliant” or mention CANBUS. The Juke does not require these bulbs. However, the Juke turn signals (front and rear) require a resistor in parallel to the LED bulb. The Juke uses the high resistance of a burnt out bulb (effectively an open circuit) to detect the burnt out bulb and then goes into a “hyper flash” mode to indicate you have a burnt out bulb. Some LED retrofit bulbs have this resistor built in, some places offer it as an add-on that you have to tap into the factory wiring for. As for the rest of the lights (side markers, interior, brakes) you can swap those for LED without any issue. Do not swap LED into your headlights, the Juke does not have the correct housing or lens for LEDs.

there’s plenty more information out on this forum, just search for LED replacement.
Hello again and thank you for the info. Already learning alot there. So last quick question and I apologize now if I'm asking a dumb question but I know you said Do not swap LED into the headlights, but I do see thread topics on this. I read a few and I seem to be more confused. So I just want to clarify... Are you saying that It is possible to put LED in but I shouldn't or I can as long as I get the right housing? Also after reading some of the threads on the topic is it just mainly because the LEDs are too bright and the beam isnt focused enough?
If you could clarify this or help me to better understand I would appreciate it. Thanks again in advance, This is all new to me and just in a day I see there is much to learn.
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
2,125 Posts
Are you saying that It is possible to put LED in but I shouldn't or I can as long as I get the right housing? Also after reading some of the threads on the topic is it just mainly because the LEDs are too bright and the beam isnt focused enough?
Correct. It's possible but ill-advised in the stock housings. The gen 1 Juke (2011-2014) has halogen reflector bowl headlights. Meaning the placement and alignment of the bulb filament and the reflector bowl is what creates the DOT approved beam pattern for the headlight output. Most LED bulbs fail to accurately mimic this alignment thus causing tons of light scatter potentially blinding oncoming traffic, or the car in front of you. Not to mention the light output and beam pattern is now compromised. This is because of the nature of LEDs vs halogen filaments. LEDs at best produce light at a viewing angle of about anywhere from 170-178 degrees, yet filament style bulbs produce light at all viewing angles (360 degrees on any axis).

If you really want to switch to LEDs, You would have to either buy a set of retrofit headlight housings that contain a projector and lens, or retrofit your existing headlight housings yourself in order to upgrade to LED/HID. A projector housing takes all of the light produced from a bulb and focuses it through the lens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct. It's possible but ill-advised in the stock housings. The gen 1 Juke (2011-2014) has halogen reflector bowl headlights. Meaning the placement and alignment of the bulb filament and the reflector bowl is what creates the DOT approved beam pattern for the headlight output. Most LED bulbs fail to accurately mimic this alignment thus causing tons of light scatter potentially blinding oncoming traffic, or the car in front of you. Not to mention the light output and beam pattern is now compromised. This is because of the nature of LEDs vs halogen filaments. LEDs at best produce light at a viewing angle of about anywhere from 170-178 degrees, yet filament style bulbs produce light at all viewing angles (360 degrees on any axis).

If you really want to switch to LEDs, You would have to either buy a set of retrofit headlight housings that contain a projector and lens, or retrofit your existing headlight housings yourself in order to upgrade to LED/HID. A projector housing takes all of the light produced from a bulb and focuses it through the lens.
Thank you so much for explaining that. That makes more sense now. Ok I will stick with the Halogens then.
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
squirty droppin some facts up in here. <3

Reactions: squirtbrnr
1 - 6 of 6 Posts