Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I purchased a used 2012 SLAWD Juke in January of this year. Neither of us know anything about cars, but it seemed like a good deal. We were a bit concerned about how low the exhaust was hanging, but it seems like that is normal on these models, te obvious string and duct tape Jerry rig notwithstanding. However, the car has been a bit loud. Yesterday we took it on a 70 mile trip and heard some new sounds. When stopped, we thought we smelled burning. All the tires are okay(all the tires are newly replaced), so we were wondering what might be wrong. So far today, we've had none of those sounds or the smell. We were just wondering if anyone might be able to point us in the right direction based on these admittedly vague descriptions. We've attached a picutre of the back underside.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
That exhaust is not good. I would take it to a muffler shop and get their recommendations.

Factory exhaust does not run under the axle like that. Maybe only one or 2 places need help

Also, there are many aftermarket exhausts for the Juke. Look at some on Amazon or the like to have something to compare to the muffler shop quote. If their price is high, ask the how much to install one of the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick response. We took it out for about 15 minutes and the sounds got worse, so we're thi king it may be more than the muffler.
Do you have any idea what a good price for getting the exhaust fixed at a shop would be?

·
Super Moderator
2,490 Posts
The factory exhaust on the gen 1 AWD model does go under the rear axle. However, it should not hang that low. Most likely the center section where the resonator is (middle section of pipe between the secondary catalytic converter and the rear axle) has rotted out. Worst case the muffler has also rotted out, but that flange near the axle looks in decent condition. I couldn’t tell you prices but if a muffler shop quotes you more than $500-$700, they’re wanting to replace the entire exhaust from the primary catalytic converter back to the muffler, basically everything under the car including the secondary catalytic converter.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
As others have mentioned the AWD exhaust does sit under the rear differential, but just an inch or so below it.

I'd get that replaced ASAP. Looks like the stock muffler is gone and replaced with some glass pack fart can, which sound extraordinarily awful on turbo four cylinder motors.....or on any motor really. Definitely take it to a shop that does exhaust, or if you are willing to do the work (which is just removing two bolts), you can get an OEM muffler from a junkyard or online and simply bolt it back in place at the flange there - wouldn’t even need to jack the car up to do so. Looks like the midpipe is stock, so as long as it isn't damaged it can be reused.

Just depends on if you want oem quiet or a bit more sporty. Those tubular mufflers all sound terrible on the Juke though, you want a properly baffled muffler. Nismo makes a catback that sounds great but it's like $400-$500. With mufflers the size of the exhaust is directly proportional to the loudness, so keep that in mind. The Nismo catback for example is about half the size of the stock exhaust and uses similar baffling channels and is approximately twice as loud.

Your easiest fix is to just get an used oem catback section and bolt it on. An exhaust shop will probably try and do too much if all you want is back to oem, and they more often than not use crappy Chinese knockoff mufflers that copy other companies designs using cheaper metals. You can bring your own parts in but they can get poopy about it and find other ways to inflate your invoice.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Wow, the timing of this. I've had my entire exhaust from midpipe back, including muffler, sitting in the garage for 9 years (I got a full TUI system almost immediately after buying my juke).

Literally drove a 26' uhaul with my juke on towed transport today (anyone see me northbound on I-95 from Vero Beach to Raleigh today?)

I had the junk removal guys take the exhaust 2 days ago, after having moved it 4x and couldn't justify it to the wife. Was really only good for local pickup anyway.

Let us know what it ends up costing so I can let the wife know!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! Here's an update:

Like I said, we drove it for about 15 minutes yesterday. At that point, we smelled the burning again, the air conditioner stopped blowing cold air, and a loud shuddering sound started. By God's grace, we were right next to a truck stop at that point. We ended up having to get it towed home (which AAA covered thankfully) and it's sitting at a repair shop until tomorrow when hopefully we can have someone look at it.

The tow truck driver also mentioned that the exhaust certainly needs to be repaired. He thought the air may have gone due to a coolant leak, but nothing was on the bed of his tow truck, and the car didn't seem to be running hot before all of this started. When we ran the car for a few seconds to move it to a parking spot after getting it off the tow truck, it ran like normal. Could exhaust issues alone lead to all of what we experienced?

Swift, thanks for finding that for us. We may go ahead and order that and take it to a repair shop. Right now, we just aren't sure if anything else is wrong.

Samus, thanks for the advice. I have no car knowledge whatsoever, but that doesn't sound like it would be too hard. If we order the part I may give it a try before we take it to a shop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As others have mentioned the AWD exhaust does sit under the rear differential, but just an inch or so below it.

I'd get that replaced ASAP. Looks like the stock muffler is gone and replaced with some glass pack fart can, which sound extraordinarily awful on turbo four cylinder motors.....or on any motor really. Definitely take it to a shop that does exhaust, or if you are willing to do the work (which is just removing two bolts), you can get an OEM muffler from a junkyard or online and simply bolt it back in place at the flange there - wouldn’t even need to jack the car up to do so. Looks like the midpipe is stock, so as long as it isn't damaged it can be reused.

Just depends on if you want oem quiet or a bit more sporty. Those tubular mufflers all sound terrible on the Juke though, you want a properly baffled muffler. Nismo makes a catback that sounds great but it's like $400-$500. With mufflers the size of the exhaust is directly proportional to the loudness, so keep that in mind. The Nismo catback for example is about half the size of the stock exhaust and uses similar baffling channels and is approximately twice as loud.

Your easiest fix is to just get an used oem catback section and bolt it on. An exhaust shop will probably try and do too much if all you want is back to oem, and they more often than not use crappy Chinese knockoff mufflers that copy other companies designs using cheaper metals. You can bring your own parts in but they can get poopy about it and find other ways to inflate your invoice.
Lmao you said fart can! 🤣

·
Registered
22 Posts
Definitely not supposed to look like that. Now I cut mine completely off right after the cat... And there's nothing added back to it except a short 45 elbow to angle the sound down. I like a little bit of growl and here in Virginia a muffler isn't needed to pass inspection. The only thing that holds them up after the first set of hangers is the last 2 hangers that are welded to the muffler... But in your picture it looks like something has maybe rusted out making it hang that low. Idk..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts