Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lat january a bought a certified used 2011 Juke with 300 miles on it. I've taken it in to be serviced at the required intervals.
i have also taken it to reflash the ECU, and for the recalls for the Turbo, and the fuel rail recall. While in the dealer for the
fuel rail recall they discover that in exhaust sensor has failed and one of the cylinders was burnt. Nissan USA told the dealer
to replace the parts but they are unavailable. The dealer is now waiting on permission to swap out the engine. The vehicle is still
under warranty. Should I be satisfied with a new engine or should i try to pursue a lemon law claim. I love the Juke but the recalls
and the initial quality are worrying. Any advice ?

·
Super Moderator
6,376 Posts
Probably can't initiate the lemon law yet. I believe they get three strikes for the same issue first. You probably have to accept their offer of replacement under warranty or take a hit and trade it away if it will really bother you.

Did you experience any problems prior to the dealer advising you off a failed part?
For example... low MPG's, sluggish performance etc.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'd also give NissanUSA customer service a call. You have a legitimate complaint and if you approach them in a polite yet firm way you may even get a new Juke out of it. If I had under 5K miles on my Juke and the engine needed replacement I guarantee you 100% NissanUSA would be getting me a new one. The trick is to be polite, affirm your trust & longtime dedication to Nissan, and convince them that making you 100% satisfied with Nissan products (within reason) is in their best interest.
JJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vehicle now has 34k on it and seemed to be running fine. I don't know if a new engine would be a plus or minus when I go to sell the vehicle.
I'm also curious as to how long it will take to get a new engine when they can't even get parts for the old engine ? Nissan USA hasn't even agreed
to replace the engine yet, that's just what the service manager told me she was trying to get after the parts weren't available. As for a long time
Nissan loyalist, I just sold my 1967 Nissan Patrol last Fall.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What exactly is an exhaust sensor? I never heard of that. What do they mean by a burnt cylinder?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im just repeating what they said. Im guessing one of the engine sensors that measures exhaust gases. I think she meant one of the valves got burnt and
caused problems with one of the cylinders. i was driving the loaner car at the time and couldn't hold an in depth discussion.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The vehicle now has 34k on it and seemed to be running fine. I don't know if a new engine would be a plus or minus when I go to sell the vehicle.
I'm also curious as to how long it will take to get a new engine when they can't even get parts for the old engine ? Nissan USA hasn't even agreed
to replace the engine yet, that's just what the service manager told me she was trying to get after the parts weren't available. As for a long time
Nissan loyalist, I just sold my 1967 Nissan Patrol last Fall.

On the plus side at least it crapped out with 2K to go before the warranty expired. You put a lot of miles on your Juke, over 33K in less than 1.5 years! I have heard that if any major stuff such as an engine replacement needs to be done under warranty then you may be able to get something for diminshed value (do a google search on it). With a burnt valve I'd take a engine replacement if it is offered and they are unwilling to give you a new one (unlikely with 34K miles).

Also, depending on Nissan & your insurance you should be able to get a free loaner vehicle while the work is being done or a daily allowance, anywhere from $20 to $40 per day until the vehicle id fixed properly. This is a little known requirement that insurance companies must payout.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Words can not express my sympathy for you.
I can almost guaranty their engineers want your engine and they are gone to make good for it.
Especialy if it's from faulty/bad part and not your doing.
Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I had this happen at 6k miles. They replaced my engine. I had a cylinder misfire that was the result of the exhaust cylinder completely blowing out. There are now at least 5 on the forum this has happened to....

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
576 Posts
In my state, "Maine" you have to allow them to try and fix the problem, but if you continually get major problems, "burnt cylinder must qualify" I did get a brand new truck from Nissan back in 1990, they certainly did not want to go the lemon law route. This was on the purchase of a brand new truck and I don't know how the law handles used car purchases.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
...the exhaust cylinder completely blowing out. There are now at least 5 on the forum this has happened to....

Maybe a "burnt cylinder"? What are you guys talking about? It would be great to know what is really going wrong.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Maybe a "burnt cylinder"? What are you guys talking about? It would be great to know what is really going wrong.
I will leave that to the professionals here. Similar thing happened with the first generation Mazda DIG engines. Carbon build up causes engine damage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
was there a rattle? Mine had a rattle after I had a misfire, the dealer said it was likely a wrist pen and that nissan said replace whole engine since it happened to other jukes too

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had an issue with my juke that required a new ECU to be shipped from japan. My car qualified for lemon law due to (in florida atleast) being out of service for more than 15 days. Ended up with some electrical issues after that still... fuse block grounded out, they had to replace some sensors and fuel injectors or something. When I got mine back the last time the techs told me they thought it was in the wiring harness and that it wasn't fixed, but their hands were tied because nissan NA was telling them what to do. Long story short- wife pissed, scared it was unreliable. I went through nissan usa and those first tier phone jockeys were horrible. My service manager from the dealership was an angel in helping me with this stuff, but at the end of the day all i got was my first month's payment paid. If I wanted anything else I was going to have to pursue lemon law which would get the higher up's from NNA attention. Turns out my juke has been fine and I believe it to be fixed, so I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle.... but if anything happens, headlight flicker hitting a bump too hard, I'm going for it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You bought your car with 300 miles on it??? I would have waited until they get me one fresh from the factory. Someone was thrashing that Juke way too hard before you bought it.
In Ontario Can. Unless it was a demo (which has to be diclosed), A car is not new if it surpasses 500km/ 312km unless we have to dealer trade it and the purchaser is in formed before we go get it
since you're under warranty just get the new engine... Demand it. and make sure they pay for everything including the rental.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The new engine is supposed to arrive Wednesday and the work should be done by Friday.
I was given a '11 Altima to drive until the vehicle is fixed. On one hand, the car has a new
engine and should extend the life of the vehicle. On the other hand, maybe I should sell the
juke now before something else goes wrong ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought the car used from the dealer, it supposedly was returned by the
buyer's husband because she traded in their 350z while he was out of
town.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lat january a bought a certified used 2011 Juke with 300 miles on it. I've taken it in to be serviced at the required intervals.
i have also taken it to reflash the ECU, and for the recalls for the Turbo, and the fuel rail recall. While in the dealer for the
fuel rail recall they discover that in exhaust sensor has failed and one of the cylinders was burnt. Nissan USA told the dealer
to replace the parts but they are unavailable. The dealer is now waiting on permission to swap out the engine. The vehicle is still
under warranty. Should I be satisfied with a new engine or should i try to pursue a lemon law claim. I love the Juke but the recalls
and the initial quality are worrying. Any advice ?
Lemon law claim... this car is junk. We have one and that we owe 6K on it and it lost acceleration on the freeway and we were going at a fast speed it was scary and dangerous. We had the turbo replaced and now we are losing oil and need a new motor and we do not have a warranty. Nissan should recall this car and be liable for selling a lemon. Never ever will I buy a Nissan again. How they have gotten away with this is beyond me. There are so many people on this forum that have had crisis's over this car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts