Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hope someone can advise. I'm about to buy a used Nissan Juke - it's the first car I ever buy, and I'm putting all my savings in it so really wanna make sure I make the right decision and that this car will last me for many years (I'm not into the whole buying an selling every couple of years - I just want a car to keep and that will last me for the next ten years).

I can choose between:
  • 2018 Juke Tekna 1.6 - CVT transmission - 26,000 miles
  • 2018 Juke Tekna 1.6 - manual - 28,000 miles

I tried driving both, and I liked both. I would really like to buy the CVT one, as I'm not a very experienced driver and it'd made me feel better not having to think about changing gears while I drive. However, I read in several reviews that the CVT on Juke often tends to fail after a few years, and that replacing it would be more expensive than buying a new car. If that happened, I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Could people who own Jukes advise? Is it true that CVT doesn't last? Should I go for the CVT model and hope it doesn't break in a couple of years, or would it be safer, for longevity, for me to get the manual one?

Many thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,342 Posts
Based on your goals I am gonna say the 6MT is the clear choice.

Reactions: AntonR

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
As you have a naturally-aspirated 1.6l, the CVT should be fine. In the US, all of our cars are 1.6l turbos, which puts out more torque than the transmission was designed to handle. With an engine better matched to the transmission, I would assume improved reliability.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you want s used car to last you 10 years. Stay away from CVT, turbo and awd. Find yourself a reputable mechanic with a high-end scan tool. Have any prospective purchase inspected by this mechanic before buying. Depending on your driving experience you should first shop for Insurance so you avoid any unpleasant surprises in that dept.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Go for either, if you are set on the Juke.

As 937 points out, your non-turbo models are easier on the CVT. Also, most of the Juke CVT problems you read about are older model Jukes.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
So, it sounds like from a driving perspective, they are equal to you. The AWD give's huge advantage in dry weather traction under aggressive driving, the FWD can't compete. In inclement weather, a good set of winter tires make the difference and the differences are much smaller under normal driving conditions, so tire is everything for winter traction. In fact, the FWD are particularly good in snow conditions, and the AWD is essentially a FWD car anyway until the AWD activates. Or perhaps I should say, the AWD in snow is not particularly that great anyway, thus the differences FWD vs AWD come down to mostly tire.

The 2nd Gen had a few tweaks, the CVT was improved. The actual CVT +2015 reliability history shows far fewer failures than the 1st Gen Juke (i.e. pre-2015). Couple of improvements here that attributed to that, but there still are some potential failure modes. My feeling is a low mileage 2018 CVT Juke is worth the risk, and that mileage is one I'd be comfortable with. Maintenance and driving style will be everything for durability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all, hope someone can advise. I'm about to buy a used Nissan Juke - it's the first car I ever buy, and I'm putting all my savings in it so really wanna make sure I make the right decision and that this car will last me for many years (I'm not into the whole buying an selling every couple of years - I just want a car to keep and that will last me for the next ten years).

I can choose between:
  • 2018 Juke Tekna 1.6 - CVT transmission - 26,000 miles
  • 2018 Juke Tekna 1.6 - manual - 28,000 miles

I tried driving both, and I liked both. I would really like to buy the CVT one, as I'm not a very experienced driver and it'd made me feel better not having to think about changing gears while I drive. However, I read in several reviews that the CVT on Juke often tends to fail after a few years, and that replacing it would be more expensive than buying a new car. If that happened, I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Could people who own Jukes advise? Is it true that CVT doesn't last? Should I go for the CVT model and hope it doesn't break in a couple of years, or would it be safer, for longevity, for me to get the manual one?

Many thanks in advance
Unless you want to do $100 drain and fills on your CVT once a year preferably at the beginning of the summer right when the hot months are about to start Like mid june, Go with the Manual Trans.. I wanted and need AWD so I had no choice but to go with the CVT.. But fair warning the CVT is only good to about 230 WHP Max and even then you have to be carful not to nail the car from dead stops and you can't Launch them, the CVT is good for 20 Mile an hour Roll races and Rally type racing..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts