Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
DallasFlatline: Delayed response, but I was not hearing any whine when the CVT fail-safe kicked in. Just a dramatic loss of power. The Altima TSB posted by i8acobra describes the conditions exactly (except for the whine, which I didn't have).

·
Administrator
12,819 Posts
Change your CVT fluid. Even if it only has 30k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What does cvt fluid have to do with this issue? If you are in fail safe you will throw a cel! If there's no cel you are not in fail safe! This car appears to have issues with power loss during long trips in high heat! Temps are in the 100s now in SoCal and the heat is really causing a noticeable drop in power. When I go roll the window down the car shutters as if it wants to turn off. Samething with the AC when you have it on auto in high heat the car will start to drive very sluggish as if it was in limp mode. But what I have noticed is that during these situations there's usually 1 bar missing from the bat meter. Leading me to believe we either have been specced with a faulty battery or defective alternator! Nissan needs to issue a product recall! NISSAN sold us an unsafe car! **** almost died on the fwy the other day! No kidding!

·
Administrator
12,819 Posts
Heat is generated by the CVT. Alot of it. The fluid acts as a lubricant and as a coolant. When it gets old it doesnt do BOTH well. Some Jukes seem to be sensitive to early CVT fluid breakdown especially hilly and/or Hot areas. Other problems were Jukes being overfilled the factory and The Nissan CVT fluid isnt the best either.

So if you are having problems.

Change the Fluid. Its that simple.

·
Super Moderator
2,494 Posts
What does cvt fluid have to do with this issue? If you are in fail safe you will throw a cel! If there's no cel you are not in fail safe! This car appears to have issues with power loss during long trips in high heat! Temps are in the 100s now in SoCal and the heat is really causing a noticeable drop in power.
Nope you won't get a CEL. I've experienced limp mode twice and neither time did I get a CEL. What you are describing is CVT limp mode caused by excess high temperature in the CVT. The car reduces power output to save itself from damage that could be caused by the heat being generated but not removed from the system.

Leading me to believe we either have been specced with a faulty battery or defective alternator! Nissan needs to issue a product recall! NISSAN sold us an unsafe car!
If you're concerned with the battery or alternator, get it checked out, or just replace the battery yourself. Unless the battery was failing outside of normal wear and tear in multiple cars and documented as such, you'll never see a recall. Batteries are a consumable product such as tires and oil. Would you demand a recall for a tire with 20K+ miles on it that didn't have the same traction as a new tire? Would you demand a recall on oil after 6K miles of use for losing its viscosity?

The alternator is a "smart" alternator and will charge only on demand. If there is a heavy load placed on the electrical system, the alternator engages as to supplement voltage and recharge the battery. The Juke has electric power steering assist so that adds to the load on the electrical system. What you are experiencing is parasitic power loss when the AC compressor or alternator engage. All cars experience this.

Bottom line, it's the CVT fluid. Get it flushed and filled. As it heats up and goes through the CVT it degrades and loses its ability to lubricate and facilitate heat transfer. Engine oil is the same way. The CVT isn't your grandma's automatic transmission and requires greater care. Maintenance schedules exist for a reason, and they shouldn't be ignored.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok so I just bought a 2013 Juke today. I drove it 2 hrs home in South Dakota and Nebraska. Some of the hills it slowed down to 40 and wouldn’t go any faster. 81 degrees outside. There are a lot of hills here. Will it always be like this? What can I do to fix it?

Also when in town the engine will almost rev into the red before it changes gears. Is this normal? Can I fix it? I’m a little worried that I got a bad car! 🙁. HELP!

·
Administrator
12,819 Posts
Ok so I just bought a 2013 Juke today. I drove it 2 hrs home in South Dakota and Nebraska. Some of the hills it slowed down to 40 and wouldn’t go any faster. 81 degrees outside. There are a lot of hills here. Will it always be like this? What can I do to fix it?

Also when in town the engine will almost rev into the red before it changes gears. Is this normal? Can I fix it? I’m a little worried that I got a bad car! 🙁. HELP!
Change your CVT fluid asap. Twice.

Change it. Drive it for 50-100 miles. Change it again.

·
Administrator
12,819 Posts
No guarantee but it will certainly help a lot.

Its FAR cheaper than a new CVT.

Just try it.

·
Administrator
12,819 Posts
Thanks so much! I will do that tomorrow!!

Follow the guide here as to what when where etc.

Stay cool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks so much! I will do that tomorrow!!
Ok so I figured out what I was doing wrong! Yes I’m just a single mom, I am not a mechanic!!! So don’t be to harsh! I may not be the only one!! I was driving with the gear on the negative symbol!!! I’m probably lucky I didn’t blow the engine!!! It is driving fine now that I am driving in automatic “DRIVE “!!!!

·
Administrator
12,819 Posts
Ok so I figured out what I was doing wrong! Yes I’m just a single mom, I am not a mechanic!!! So don’t be to harsh! I may not be the only one!! I was driving with the gear on the negative symbol!!! I’m probably lucky I didn’t blow the engine!!! It is driving fine now that I am driving in automatic “DRIVE “!!!!
So how is the Juke now ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Interesting thread brought up from the grave.I added a CVT cooler and I guess one of the coolant hoses got kinked. Anyway I had to go to drill that weekend and it was a 300+ mile drive each way. I have the CVT app to monitor things and the CVT temp hit well over 140c for several hours on the trip down and back. I drove "slow" 60mph both ways. When I got home I changed the CVT fluid as a precautionary measure but during the entire 4 hour drive of over 140c temp and a few rolling hills I never hit limp mode. I was expecting it at some point along the way but made it both ways without it.

·
Administrator
12,819 Posts

·
Administrator
12,819 Posts
Interesting thread brought up from the grave.I added a CVT cooler and I guess one of the coolant hoses got kinked. Anyway I had to go to drill that weekend and it was a 300+ mile drive each way. I have the CVT app to monitor things and the CVT temp hit well over 140c for several hours on the trip down and back. I drove "slow" 60mph both ways. When I got home I changed the CVT fluid as a precautionary measure but during the entire 4 hour drive of over 140c temp and a few rolling hills I never hit limp mode. I was expecting it at some point along the way but made it both ways without it.
Yeah threads get necro'd thanks to the Seach function not being linear. It will bring up any post and not in time order.

The even stranger thing is that every Juke is different when it comes to Limp mode. You can never predict only try to prevent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I actually have experienced this several times with my 2013 juke during long drives in the summer. It's an engineering flaw that I simply can't believe made it through approval. The cvt overheats and so the juke limits rpms and (dangerously) cuts power. I spent good money getting the cvt it's own radiator to help keep it cool and it helped but didn't solve the issue. Now on long trips I have to tell waze to take backroads to keep my speed and heat down - the engineers at nissan should be embarrassed that every single other car on the road does NOT have this issue. I'm currently on a trip where it happened again and will change my transmission fluid just to make it home. Such a joke.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts