Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 56,000 miles on my 2011 Juke. Toward the end of my two-hour drive back from LA, usually in 100+ temperatures, I have a gradual loss of power going up the last steep grade, which is a three-mile long 2000-foot climb. No engine lights go on, but despite putting the gas pedal all the way to the floor, the Juke continually slows. First down to 40, then 20, then almost a complete stop. Putting it in manual at that time doesn't help much. I have to let the Juke cool down and then getting it going up the hill again. It's not exactly convenient.

I tried some fuel injector cleaner and that seemed to help a little, but the problem is still occurring. I read through the manual and started to wonder if it is the CVT high fluid temperature fail safe--which does exactly the above (page 5-18 to 5-19 2011 manual). The service department at the dealer thinks it's the same thing. My MIL light doesn't go on when the fail safe kicks in though, as it should.

Anyone else experience this? Is there a way to override the fail safe? Would that be harmful? Is a steep grade after two hours in the desert heat just too much for the Juke?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I have the exact same problem. The only way around it I've found so far is to let it cool down for at least 30 minutes. Im gonna try to take it to the dealer this weekend to see if it can be fixed. If not, Im trading in the Juke. I have almost the exact same mileage as you too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Information, Brian. It sounds like SoCal's heat and hills might be too much for the CVT--which, if true, is pretty sad. I'm going to see if there is a NTB on it and have it looked at as a power train warranty item before I invest the $$$ in the 60k service and transmission fluid replacement. If it's not going to get me home after that, I'll need the $600 toward a new car, probably a Subie.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Thanks for the Information, Brian. It sounds like SoCal's heat and hills might be too much for the CVT--which, if true, is pretty sad. I'm going to see if there is a NTB on it and have it looked at as a power train warranty item before I invest the $$$ in the 60k service and transmission fluid replacement. If it's not going to get me home after that, I'll need the $600 toward a new car, probably a Subie.

I have an appointment at the dealer on Saturday. After I get it fixed I'm trading the Juke in and getting a BRZ.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have an appointment at the dealer on Saturday. After I get it fixed I'm trading the Juke in and getting a BRZ.
The problems is the motor oil get to Hot so ecu backs down the power to save the motor same issues i have the juke has a oem oil cooler but it needs a better one GTM motorsports is working on one same issues with the 370z my oil went up to 228 last time i live in Az we are at 100 plus right now in is crazy but you will not get a check engine light uprev and i found that issue on the juke went we dino my car so we need better cooler

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dude, i kinda miss that hill lol. Going down is pretty sweet, but going up sucks!!! I had no problem climbing up when i was there @ 20 - 16,000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:Dealer service dept checked my JUKE. CVT oil was good. No engine malfunctions codes appeared in the computer. They said they couldn't do anything for me because the problem could not be replicated at the shop.

I still have to take my full 3500 foot climb home I two segments, letting the JUKE cool down for 20-30 minutes in between.

Any ideas for how to elevate this issue with Nissan itself?

·
Registered
767 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just lost my job, so I'll shortly get back to looking into it! :p

·
Registered
481 Posts
It is NOT and engine oil temp issue. It's a CVT fluid temp issue. Here in Vegas, I'll usually have a lot porter go drive the car 20 miles to get it hot then drive up a steep hill near us. If he has a problem, I replace the trans. A couple of things you can do. First, get the car to normal operating temp, then check your CVT fluid level. It needs to be near the middle of the has marks. If it's not, go to the dealer and tell them your fluid level is high. Next, take a video of the condition on your phone. Then bring it to the dealership.

In fact, we just had a new TSB come out to install an additional trans cooler in '07-'12 Altima 2.5L CVT cars.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is starting to become common with many newer cars. Many engine and trannies run hotter. Therefore easier heat soaking. And car companies are not upgrading enging cooling systems because of cost to them.
The Juke should have a better intercooler and a tranny intercooler. But cost of the car would go up so they opt out of the upgrade because most Cars won't drive in such heat.
IMO I'm modding my car to what the nissan engineers wanted not the accountants gave us.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
When the CVT goes into fail safe mode, are you getting that whine that changes with RPM? I get a whine when I have accelerated hard a few times or on long highway trips in the Texas heat. Can anyone else confirm if this is 'normal or expected'? I'm not that hard on the trans...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Here is some text from the TSB for the '07-'12 2.5L Altimas:

The maximum vehicle speed is, or was, reduced by the CVT fail-safe logic after continuous operation under the following conditions:
• High RPM and/or high speed driving (RPM of 4000+ or speeds of 65 mph (104.6 km/h) for 1.0 – 1.5 hrs or more)
• Driving in ambient temperature of 96 degrees or higher
• Climbing steep or extended hills for 6 miles (9.6 km) or more
• Whine or rattle type noise occurring during reduced engine performance (vehicle speed decrease)

If this is what's happening, your CVT is going into fail-safe mode. The TSB tells us to install an additional tranny cooler, but only applies to the '07-'12 2.5L Altima... for now.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Here is some text from the TSB for the '07-'12 2.5L Altimas:

The maximum vehicle speed is, or was, reduced by the CVT fail-safe logic after continuous operation under the following conditions:
• High RPM and/or high speed driving (RPM of 4000+ or speeds of 65 mph (104.6 km/h) for 1.0 – 1.5 hrs or more)
• Driving in ambient temperature of 96 degrees or higher
• Climbing steep or extended hills for 6 miles (9.6 km) or more
• Whine or rattle type noise occurring during reduced engine performance (vehicle speed decrease)

If this is what's happening, your CVT is going into fail-safe mode. The TSB tells us to install an additional tranny cooler, but only applies to the '07-'12 2.5L Altima... for now.
Wow. This is bittersweet information. I have noticed the trans go into fail safe quite easily in this Texas heat. I hope Nissan releases a similar TSB as the Altima but I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
well I do know the nismo juke has the new redesigned cooler with the left vent under the DRLs that channels air to the cvt oil cooler.

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this was posted a year ago, but I just bought a 2013 juke in may of this year and I recently had my go into fail safe mode when the weather started getting cold. They can't figure out why.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts