Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Nismo went into limp mode yesterday and was able to get me home, this happened one time before and I got home shut it off and several hours later it started up and was fine...this car does have bolt ons and a tune. Well today it was running even worse and would only go about 10mph. So I had it towed to a close garage to help diagnose the issue, I am curious as to whether or not other juke owners have a similar problems...I did disconect the battery to try and reset the ECU...but nada, also the traction light is on today(not yesterday)...anf it feels like it is running on

·
Super Moderator
4,366 Posts
Limp mode can come on whenever the ECU thinks the engine or CVT can hurt itself. Most times we have heard that it is from the CVT detecting slipping. We have also heard of limp modes being initiated by cylinder or timing sensors malfunctioning.

I think if the engine runs good after a cool down, then the CVT is the issue and a “drain and fill” is needed

If the engine doesn’t run well after a cool down, then have further diagnostics done to find the real issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It happened to me once at night where the car wouldn't go beyond 10-15mph. No service light or code, but the VDC/traction light did eventually light up. Didn't do anything to the car and was driving normal the night before. Couldn't figure out what happened but after some meddling, came to realize that the car only limped if I turn on the lights/headlights, but otherwise normal. I had Morimoto headlights and eBay LED rear/brake lights. I changed out the LED rear/brake lights and everything went back to normal. The light was working but somehow might have caused some internal shorts/resistance that made the car ECU unhappy and it tripped.

That's just my experience, not sure about yours. Could be anything electronic... Running on 2 or 3 cylinders sounds like it might be mechanical though...?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, here is what happened...coil pack went out, which in turn fouled a plug. Running good now...but it is time for me to get a good scanner, so I can diagnose these things myself and save some cash, thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
2,226 Posts
if a coil pack went bad, you should have gotten a flashing Service Engine Soon light and at least a P030# where the # is the number of the cylinder that was misfiring.

I had a P0304 due to the ground electrode on the spark plug breaking off, but it never caused limp mode. What did happen though was at anything above 3-4psi boost, the engine would skip violently and cut timing/fuel/ignition (yes all 3 at once) to prevent catastrophic engine knock. That's not limp mode, that's pure safety mode. I could still cruise on the highway at 70mph, I just couldn't accelerate fast. Limp mode, you typically can't go above maybe 25-30mph and the RPMs would just bounce as it prevents you from building any boost at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts